Gibson Brands Forums

2016 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Serial Number Help

SkaneatelesLake

Hey all: I have tried for almost a year to find out info on my '16 Trad. Long story short. Bought a Trad online but it was lost during delivery. So, the online store sent me one from their "Private Reserve". Her Serial Number is 160001864. She is incredible. However, the card that comes with it has a date scribbled over a date. The first date looks like 7/17/2015 with the other date 8/17/2015. I know it is an early one, but can't get any response from Gibson via emails and calls. The Guitar Dater Project doesn't have '16 or newer info on it. So, can anyone help? I also own 160006688 and would like info on her as well. This was the one "lost" and ended up a year later online again. Seriously, any help would be appreciated. Cheers!

Does the serial number on the card match the serial on the guitar?

Are you looking for a production date? . Or factory installed pups and controls?

You might know that in 2014 Gibson USA changed their serial number format from the previous serial number schemes. The first 2 digits(14, 15, and 16) indicate the model year with the rest showing the ranking number of the guitar over the entire year’s production - YYRRRRRRR. So there's no longer a date of manufacture encoded in those serial numbers.

Regarding specifics of when the guitar was built and how the guitar was equipped from the factory, you'll probably have to get a hold of Gibson so they can tell you what's on record for that serial. Have you tried this email - service@gibson.com

Yeah, I know that 16 is the production year, but then I am confused. So, 160001864 is a 2016 Model Year. But then what? I am pretty sure that 1863 '16 Trads were not made before mine. And, therefore, what is the date on the card that comes with it? I am just confused what the Serial numbers mean other than the year. Thanks!

Yeah, I know that 16 is the production year, but then I am confused. So, 160001864 is a 2016 Model Year. But then what? I am pretty sure that 1863 '16 Trads were not made before mine. And, therefore, what is the date on the card that comes with it? I am just confused what the Serial numbers mean other than the year. Thanks!

It is the production number for ALL the Gibson USA guitars made for that model year. All LP's, SG's, Firebirds, etc.

The date on the card would be the date of manufacture. Emailing Gibson at the email provided above will clarify if it was july or august.

As with the previous serialization system, the Gibson USA guitars get sequenced serial numbers regardless of model. This means that 1863 guitars in total were produced to their respective 2016 model specifications before yours was made.

I received a reply at 5:00am this morning which was surprising. You are all correct. They have stopped giving serial number by day and year and it is now just the order of ALL Gibsons made. So, my '16 Trad with a Serial Number of 160001864 was the 1864 Gibson made in 2016. That is all they can say. They did confirm also that it was a '16 Trad in Honeyburst. So, other than the card that comes with it, there is no way to know the day it was made. I really think if they were going to go with this numbering process, each model should have its own Serial Number. Have a letter in the Serial Number dictating model and then the order made. Really really lazy on Gibson's part. Just my two cents.

• 2 weeks later...

I received a reply at 5:00am this morning which was surprising. You are all correct. They have stopped giving serial number by day and year and it is now just the order of ALL Gibsons made. So, my '16 Trad with a Serial Number of 160001864 was the 1864 Gibson made in 2016. That is all they can say. They did confirm also that it was a '16 Trad in Honeyburst. So, other than the card that comes with it, there is no way to know the day it was made. I really think if they were going to go with this numbering process, each model should have its own Serial Number. Have a letter in the Serial Number dictating model and then the order made. Really really lazy on Gibson's part. Just my two cents.

Even when they did have a specific Julian date built into the SN (ie, before the 2014 model year)... it really only meant that was the day the headstock was stamped... it didn't necessarily mean that the guitar was built in its entirety on that day. In fact, there are cases when there were several weeks separating the Julian date of the SN and the QC date on the card in the case... indicating that the guitar was built over a much broader period.

Anyway, like you I have two 2016 Trads (as you know [wink] ) and I just use the date on their QC cards as their birthdays... it's all good! [thumbup]

Even when they did have a specific Julian date built into the SN (ie, before the 2014 model year)... it really only meant that was the day the headstock was stamped... it didn't necessarily mean that the guitar was built in its entirety on that day. In fact, there are cases when there were several weeks separating the Julian date of the SN and the QC date on the card in the case... indicating that the guitar was built over a much broader period.

Anyway, like you I have two 2016 Trads (as you know [wink] ) and I just use the date on their QC cards as their birthdays... it's all good! [thumbup]

The time spans between neck embossments and QC slip dates of my Gibson USA instruments vary from 8 to 15 days for satin/worn/vintage gloss finishes, from 16 to 27 days for high-gloss finishes, and my only guitar with a stained top and high-gloss finish was 42 days on her way.

The term "Julian date" refers to 4713 BC and is widely used in astronomy. 2016 AD means the 6729th year of the current Julian period. The next one will start 3268 AD. The Julian date must not be confused with the date in the Julian calendar which again is a completely different thing.

Archived