Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Boneyard Joe Perry Les Paul pics

Sabredog

Hi I recently bought Epiphone boneyard Les Paul for $300.

It played quite well so I invested another $400 new tuning pegs, Gibson vintage Nickel covered Pearly Gates new volume and tone pots.

I have a Gibson Les Paul classic to compare it to as a standard top performer.

The bottom 5 strings play very well and sound very good fantastic power cords. However the high E string is overly bright and shrill I keep grabbing the volume and tone pot whenever a strike that string.

Has anyone else had a problem with to bright or shrill brittle high E string.

I actually can hear it acoustically as well it has a too bright nature.

I'm wondering if it's harmonics with a lighter weight guitar it also seems like some sort of resonance with the covered pickup.

Lowering the height of the pickup helps.

I'm also considering replacing the bridge or replacing the saddle, or trying and 11 gauge string. Or should I try 9gauge

Should I consider a tone pros replacement bridge I think the bridge on those models was also top-of-the-line bridge

or adjusting the height of the tension piece.

The sustain is just a little bit weak so I'm wondering if that's killing some of the low end of the string

I was even considering of $400 PLEK,

It's gotten to the point where I don't like to play it if I'm going to play the high E string.

But it's actually very awesome guitar

Anyone else having a problem with the top 2 strings being too bright while the rest of the guitar is awesome.

Thanks for any brainstorming.

KW4izfh.jpg

llZB68b.jpg

llZB68b.jpg

gFnnHhp.jpg

Yes it was too bright, Given that the tone pots were totally oxidized so the electronics were very crackly and poppy and noisy,I think somebody stored in a garage maybe feels like it was exposed to a tiny bit of high humidity. But the wood seems extremely like new even though the tone pot was very crusty

it had a burstbucker3, and the tuning pegs insert sleeves were very loose and rattledVibrated like crazy.

But yes it seems similar Acoustically it is Technology NYXL Strings adDarío,

I know those strings of might be on the bright side however the bottom 5 strings seem perfect.

I have a similar thing going on with mine. Stock pickups, but swapped the tone pots so far, and added orange drops. It definitely helped the output and overall tone, but still kind of meh sound wise. I also noticed my high E was buzzing on the next fret up from the 12th, so raising the bridge a tiny bit helped a little. It's still pretty shrill on the higher three strings especially on the bridge position past the tenth fret or so, even though it is no longer buzzing. I am probably going to change the pickups one night this week, and see if it helps any.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would give an update.

It seems it was a combination of issues.

I put the brand new NYXL 10's which are very bright, too bright?

but in addition, the truss rod was too bowed it came with 9's 10 overbowed.

so I went to adjust the truss rod in the truss rod nut hex was stripped,

the 4 mm hhex wrench would not turn the nut.

So I took it to luthier, he was able to use a tapered hex key, and tighten the nut,

in addition the frets on the high string side were extremely worn out and unlevel. very unlevel.

so essentially the very poor set up was causing the issues. Too much relief and unlevel frets

So whenever I would play the high E & high B the strings were contacting a fret somewhere else, killing all the tone with a bright snap.

So I put regular D ADarío 10s, and put it on the PLEK machine.

So it is back to a full on awesome top-of-the-line Les Paul.

There does seem to be a little metallic feedback from the covered pickups, adding to the brightness,

I may experiment with an uncovered pickup bbut essentially fret contact was the problem, as I said the lower heavy strings were behaving quite well.

Cheers

Archived