Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG 2016 T Upgrades

69tele

Hi there looking to upgrade an SG 2016 T for a friend with a view to better and easier tuning. Done some research on the net and the way to go would seem to fit an Earvana nut and some Grover Roto Grip tuners.

Wondering if any folks here have done these upgrades and are happy with them ? I hear the nut is difficult to remove because of the painted finish?

The tuners seem to be a direct drop in.

Thanks !!

Unfortunately yes; Gibson paints and lacquers over the base of the nut when painting the neck so that the lowest edge of the binding is continued into the headstock past the nut.

Meaning a removal, if done incorrectly, can cause cracking of the neck lacquer. Usually the way around this is scoring the lacquer following the edge lines of the nut, and then removing it. This creates a controlled break in the lacquer that does not promote further cracking. The slight difference will be that the paint line will have a slight cut out in the line (examples below) but I don't imagine many people are particular on this.

Before:

tuning_3.jpg

After:

b7.jpg

Note this:

Unfortunately yes; Gibson paints and lacquers over the base of the nut when painting the neck so that the lowest edge of the binding is continued into the headstock past the nut.

Meaning a removal, if done incorrectly, can cause cracking of the neck lacquer. Usually the way around this is scoring the lacquer following the edge lines of the nut, and then removing it. This creates a controlled break in the lacquer that does not promote further cracking. The slight difference will be that the paint line will have a slight cut out in the line (examples below) but I don't imagine many people are particular on this.

Archived