Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Special

69tele

I know you can get a regular nut fitted because its been done.

However, I suggest contacting Gibson for the titanium replacement nut. This is impervious to 'rutting', it will still have the benefit of nut height adjustment and tone.

This is obviously a 2015 model. You realise that the neck is 0.10" wider I suppose? Not much you can do to change that, so I hope you like a broader fingerboard.

I know you can get a regular nut fitted because its been done.

However, I suggest contacting Gibson for the titanium replacement nut. This is impervious to 'rutting', it will still have the benefit of nut height adjustment and tone.

This is obviously a 2015 model. You realise that the neck is 0.10" wider I suppose? Not much you can do to change that, so I hope you like a broader fingerboard.

thanks for the info is the wider neck more of a handful to play ? cheers

That really IS one question where no-one can answer for you. You really will have to try it out for yourself.

Fortunately there should still be plenty of unsold 2015 examples hanging around on dealerships' walls...

It tended to polarise opinion here when it was a current feature on last year's instruments.

Some here really like the extra width at the outside of the E strings whereas others found it to be uncomfortable.

FWIW the 'like' camp were very much in the minority.

Just to clarify things; the neck is wider but the string spacing is unaltered. There is just a bit more wood outside the strung area.

Pip.

I have seen that the robot tuners can be replaced by normal ones, what about the brass nut though ?

Thanks !

Graphtech also offer a really neat solution to the metal nut with this replacement

web-pql-6110-00-c_zps37eax7g0.jpg

Also to give a bit of background I already have an 04 LP DC Faded in TV yellow that is signed by Les Paul himself,

I find myself using it more now due to a back issue, I normally play a an LP Classic Goldtop.

Hence wanting to get a second Special to keep the signed one in the studio.

image015.jpg

Also to give a bit of background I already have an 04 LP DC Faded in TV yellow that is signed by Les Paul himself,

I find myself using it more now due to a back issue, I normally play a an LP Classic Goldtop.

Hence wanting to get a second Special to keep the signed one in the studio.

image015.jpg

Wow, what a great photo! Thats a guitar to treasure for certain.

Chances are if you are accustomed to the regular width Gibson neck, that extra 10th of an inch will feel strange, and maybe awkward even. I say this as the owner of a wider 2015 model myself, though in my case I bought one because I prefer them.

It is possible to get used to both IMO. You just have to play them enough. I have both types.

Archived