Gibson Brands Forums

Traditional 2016 louder than Standard 2016?

ChrisF

Hello guys, I'm home comparing these guitars at the moment, trying to decide which one I'm going to keep. They are both lovely guitars, but the first thing I noticed is that the traditional seems to be louder than the standard, and also a bit more agressive. Is this so? I wasn't aware of this.

Anyway, right now I'm beginning to try them out, but which one would you keep and why?

I would keep the one that sounds and plays better.. simple as that...

I think really playability is more important.. You can always change the sound by a pickup swap or wiring change or by adding pedals or changing amp settings.. Playability is far harder to get right.

Here is a chart showing relative output of Gibson pickups.. I have a Classic with the 496r and 500t combo, now those are loud pups :)

GIBSONpickups_zpszxr9ygrl.jpg

I would keep the one that sounds and plays better.. simple as that...

I think really playability is more important.. You can always change the sound by a pickup swap or wiring change or by adding pedals or changing amp settings.. Playability is far harder to get right.

Here is a chart showing relative output of Gibson pickups.. I have a Classic with the 496r and 500t combo, now those are loud pups :)

GIBSONpickups_zpszxr9ygrl.jpg

Alright so a bit higher output for 57 classics. One would think you would barely notice it.

The thing is, they are both great guitars, nicely crafted and very comfortable to play. I've got more doubts now than when I started.

Alright so a bit higher output for 57 classics. One would think you would barely notice it.

The thing is, they are both great guitars, nicely crafted and very comfortable to play. I've got more doubts now than when I started.

Well I did have one thought... Were these guitars the HP or the T series ?

I was thinking if it was an HP, they have push/pull knobs for coil splitting.. That would certainly lower the output if the guitar was using that.

Well I did have one thought... Were these guitars the HP or the T series ?

I was thinking if it was an HP, they have push/pull knobs for coil splitting.. That would certainly lower the output if the guitar was using that.

They are both T, but the standard also brings push/pull knobs. I wasn't using it when comparing them tho.

They are both T, but the standard also brings push/pull knobs. I wasn't using it when comparing them tho.

Ahh right.. Its just we have had people on here before who have coil splitting on their guitars and didn't know it.. So they come on here wondering why the pickups don't sound as loud as they should and eventually we get to, does it have coil splitting :)

Donno man, only you can make the decision... As far as guitars go, theres no real reason to keep one over the other... They are both very similar guitars made in the same place by the same people out of the same materials and parts (well mostly).. the only way to decide is work out which is your favourite and why.

So you currently own both guitars right? If so cant you just keep both.. Nothing worse than sellers remorse when it comes to guitars you actually like a lot...

Ahh right.. Its just we have had people on here before who have coil splitting on their guitars and didn't know it.. So they come on here wondering why the pickups don't sound as loud as they should and eventually we get to, does it have coil splitting :)

Donno man, only you can make the decision... As far as guitars go, theres no real reason to keep one over the other... They are both very similar guitars made in the same place by the same people out of the same materials and parts (well mostly).. the only way to decide is work out which is your favourite and why.

So you currently own both guitars right? If so cant you just keep both.. Nothing worse than sellers remorse when it comes to guitars you actually like a lot...

I actually feel more attracted to the Standard because it's a Goldtop, and it also got some extra features such a better tuners and coil-split function, so yes, I think I'm going to keep it. Keeping both is not an option, they are too similar for my taste. But man, I don't know if I was lucky or Gibson did a great job this year, but both guitars are perfect, solid set up and finish.

I actually feel more attracted to the Standard because it's a Goldtop, and it also got some extra features such a better tuners and coil-split function, so yes, I think I'm going to keep it. Keeping both is not an option, they are too similar for my taste. But man, I don't know if I was lucky or Gibson did a great job this year, but both guitars are perfect, solid set up and finish.

Well there you go then :)

And yes I agree.. I have four LPs and each one is really different...

I think that Gibson has been paying more attention to their finishing the last few years.. I didn't like the features but the 2015s I saw were absolutely immaculate in their finish... so its good to hear they are keeping that up... [thumbup]

Archived