Gibson Brands Forums

Incoming: Gibson J45 Limited Edition Mahogany Top

sbpark

I guess there are two different versions of these floating around, both consisting of 75 guitars each. The one version that's going out to independent dealers is a natural finish, modern Gibson logo on the headstock, with gold plated butterbean style tuners. As ugly as (i think) it is, I played one and it sounded glorious. The other version in sunburst, script logo and white button tuners that seems to only be available to Guitar Center and it's affiliates. I know it's a huge roll of the dice with a Gibson, but as nice as that natural finished one with gold tuners sounded, I couldn't get past the looks, so I ended up ordering the sunburst version this morning (couldn't not find one locally anywhere, otherwise I'd have pulled the trigger on it already). The 5-star dealer I visited had there's marked at full price, with very little room to negotiate, repeatedly reminding me it was a very limited run. Found the sunburst version on sale at another online retailer for about $800 less, which I think is a screaming deal for a limited run Gibson, comes with COA, etc.

I know an all-mahogany J45 isn't for everyone, and some may not even consider it a "real" J45, but remember they made them in all mahogany versions back in the day. i was lucky enough to play a 1945 all-mahogany J45 several months ago at Schoenberg Guitars and it still sounded like a J45 to my ear. The newer limited edition version I played also sounded amazing and for sure is a J45, but just a little mellower and fullerr. To my ear, it's the PERFECT solo singer/songwriter guitar. Very full, rich sound when strummed, like melted butter! It does tend to 'load up' when strummed hard, but never sounded muddy or woofy. Here's hoping the one I get shipped to me is a good one as well. Finger's crossed!

61MEDUJGl1L._SL1200__zpskwry7htx.jpg

61isJ23yH6L._SL1200__zpszd3qvqvi.jpg

71bkVxWW8HL._SL1200__zpsf2lrvgkp.jpg

Wow- good for you. 'Will be very interested to hear your observations once it gets settled in. Glad you got to play a couple mahogany topped J-45's before you took the leap. And for what it's worth; I think a hog-topped J-45 has more of the J-45 sound than lots of spruce-topped examples. Hope it works out this way for you.

Awaiting the pics-

Flatbaroque and BK777, both those guys would sound awesome on a mahogany J-45 methinks.

Thanks FMA.

I don't know about the other pretty boy twin, but this duck would prefer mahogany tops broken in for about.....73 years.

I just think with my bare finger picking, a new J45 would take about 71 years to break in that top. I have a 44 Martin 0-17 that is getting a bit loose, while my 000-15 has taken 10 years and still sounds pretty new, despite Tonerite's best work......

So a vintage J45 mahogany top for me, please. And I liked the look of the burst new one, but I really liked the polished look natural model!

But I am having a bit of a Sitka love affair this week, something to do with weather, I guess. To me mahogany goes kluggy in humid.

BluesKing777.

Beautiful guitar, very cool! I can't help but wonder why Gibson can't go all in on the vintage specs? This guitar has the logo and golden banner of the guitars from the 40s, but the belly-up bridge of later period guitars. Still, great looking instrument!

Lars

Beautiful guitar, very cool! I can't help but wonder why Gibson can't go all in on the vintage specs? This guitar has the logo and golden banner of the guitars from the 40s, but the belly-up bridge of later period guitars. Still, great looking instrument!

Lars

I stopped asking myself the same kinds of questions. Gibson seems to just routinely do strange things that seem to make sense to then, but not the rest of the guitar playing world.

Got the guitar today. It's absolutely gorgeous and the mahogany top looks incredible with a beautiful burst. Too bad it's sound doesn't match it's good looks. It's a dud. Exhibits the same sad trait that many new J45's exhibit, and sounds super tight and constricted. Every once in a while you get one that resonates and has that big bottom end, but in my experience more often than not they sound choked and constricted, which is too bad. The nut looks a little sloppy as well and the fretboard looks really dry. I'm usually not this nit-picky, but something that's a limited run of 75 and is supposed to be something special, this one is not so it's going back.

Got the guitar today. It's absolutely gorgeous and the mahogany top looks incredible with a beautiful burst. Too bad it's sound doesn't match it's good looks. It's a dud. Exhibits the same sad trait that many new J45's exhibit, and sounds super tight and constricted. Every once in a while you get one that resonates and has that big bottom end, but in my experience more often than not they sound choked and constricted, which is too bad. The nut looks a little sloppy as well and the fretboard looks really dry. I'm usually not this nit-picky, but something that's a limited run of 75 and is supposed to be something special, this one is not so it's going back.

I'm sorry to hear this. Although it does happen, when it happens to you the disappointment is pretty keen. Wish you well finding the right one.

That's sad , I was looking for a d to hearing more about this one .

Could it not simply need a few days acclimatisation?

New strings ?

Half an hour of Pete Townsend walloping ?

I don't know, but my gut told me it wasn't the one. For whatever reason it just didn't sound anywhere near as good as the other one I recently played. I would have jumped on that one but it was a natural finish with gold tuners and just wasn't my cup of tea aesthetically.

I don't know, but my gut told me it wasn't the one. For whatever reason it just didn't sound anywhere near as good as the other one I recently played. I would have jumped on that one but it was a natural finish with gold tuners and just wasn't my cup of tea aesthetically.

I can understand that. Mind you tuners are an easy swap. But I guess there's enough out there with that already done so keep searching.

Hope you get what you want soon

I can understand that. Mind you tuners are an easy swap. But I guess there's enough out there with that already done so keep searching.

Hope you get what you want soon

Yep, tuners are an easy swap, but refinishing the guitar isn't an option. Just didn't dig the natural finish.

I would be influenced by the finish as well. Probably wanting the guitar to more strongly resemble the wartime originals as greatly as possible would give me a relatively firm mindset from the start. That might be insignificant to some, but I'd never be completely happy otherwise.

I would be influenced by the finish as well. Probably wanting the guitar to more strongly resemble the wartime originals as greatly as possible would give me a relatively firm mindset from the start. That might be insignificant to some, but I'd never be completely happy otherwise.

Agreed. As superficial as it sounds, part of what makes a J45 a J45 to me is the burst!

How did we not see this coming? 'Round here, a recently opened Guitar Center had a high end room stocked with freshly minted Gibsons and Martins; every one of them were tight as a drum. But the good news is that it's a pretty steep curve to get to the initial opening up stage for their voices.

Also- agree that anyone getting into a new Gibson would be well advised to give a close look at fitment of the nut, and the quality of the rosewood fretboard.

Archived