Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG Special 2016 T

WLOQ

I'm considering an SG, specifically the entry-level Special 2016 T. At $739 MAP with mini-humbucker 490R and 490T humbuckers, from Gibson’s Modern Classic series, it seems like a good value.

Don't want to spend too much; discounted I might just take one home.

In your opinion, is this a good guitar? If I invest a bit more money would I be buying a substantially better SG?

Thanks for your comments.

I have a LP studio 60s Tribute.. And really, I love it as much as any of my guitars including my Standard and Classic...

The cheaper Gibbies only lack bling.. Binding, fancy tops, maybe more selected woods, MOP logo inlays.. Stuff like that... the rest of the guitar is made exactly the same way as the more expensive ones.. Made by the same people, same electronics (obviously pickups vary)... so no, getting a more expensive one doesn't get you a better guitar as such just one that's done up more with a thicker finish (which is where a lot of the cost is in terms of man hours). So if the cosmetics don't bother you then they are a great deal.. (I think anyway).

In fact im not really an SG guy.. But the one SG I played that I liked the most was one of the specials... I actually prefer less finish on the neck, much more tactile that way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the 2016 SG Special faded ROCKS, I got one at GC for $550 on-sale Memorial Day IN-STORE only sale, and I was going to buy it at the regular $739, but I just happened to walk in there on the right day.....and BANG that bad boy came home with me !!! For under $800 you cant go wrong, and right now they are on-sale @ GC's 'END OF YEAR' clearance SALE.It has the 490 R&T's and although they aren't Burstbucker Pro's THEY ROCK !!!! The neck is a dream and ZERO neck-dive.I did some up-grades to it as well,Silver cap knobs, chrome pickup covers,SG truss rod cover(the Gibson web-site has one on it and it came with a plain balck one,so it was changed)and it deserves a Hard Shell case(got a slightly used epi G-400 and painted over the epi, and VIOLA!!!) and I still am $50 below the regular retail on the bad boy.IDK you but if your a guy that wants to ROCK a bit, you will be glad you bought the 2016 Gibson 'SG' Special faded T, IT ROCKS !.

Archived