Gibson Brands Forums

SG Special 70's Tribute Maple Neck

jaygl

Hey all, been awhile since I posted but still lurking off and on. I've been gassing for a new SG the past few months and decided on another Special. The first one I received BNIB was a 2016 Worn Brown. It had a big knot on the back of the neck with a large grain run that kept catching my hand. I returned it and decided to go for the 70's tribute in cherry. Picked it up last Thursday from my local L&M and inspected it on the spot. All seemed fine. Yesterday while playing it I gave it another good inspection as the sunlight was really bright and highlighting the wood nicely. I found a small hairline crack running vertically up and down the neck. It is about 2 inches in length. It almost looks like a scratch but the pick edge catches in it, so while it doesn't seem to be too deep it has me worried.

Is it normal for a maple neck to have small grain runs/cracks? Is this something I should even worry about or am I being paranoid? Lastly, if the crack spreads down the road, is this a warranty covered issue?

The SG plays super nicely with a great low action and sounds really good so I'm torn between taking a chance and keeping it or returning it today. Any thoughts? P.S. - If you look in the "hot spot" of the pics u can see the issue I'm referring to.

IMG_0138_zpskow3y61o.jpg

IMG_0136_zpsqu3owtar.jpg

IMG_0137_zpsumjtxacf.jpg

It's very hard to see in the pics but it is slightly indented, like a deep scratch or a surface crack... anyone ever know a maple neck to develop cracks like this? I own maple neck strats and none of them have anything like it....they are smooth with no grain or cracks. What i mean is, you can see, but not feel the grain...

Depends on the angle you look at it from but, it could be either a scratch or a small surface crack. I like the guitar so I'm gonna keep it and take my chances. I'm almost sure that if it splits open it should be a warranty issue.

So my paranoia got the best of me and I ended up going to the L&M where I purchased the SG from. After several sales associates and the big boss upstairs took a look at it, they assured me that it is probably just a surface issue and put a note on my account file about the issue. They told me if anything ever happens with the blemish while I own the guitar,and it spreads or opens up, whether Gibson warranties it or not, they will replace it no questions. Awesome reassurance and customer service from Long And McQuade!!!

Archived