Gibson Brands Forums: Kramer pick up height problem - Gibson Brands Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Kramer pick up height problem

#1 User is offline   Adam M 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 70
  • Joined: 08-July 16

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:16 AM

Sorry if this on the wrong board.

On my kramer the 84 I wasn't happy with the tone the output is very quiet but I found the reason for this that the pick up is about half and inch away from the strings. But I can't adjust the pick up height as the screws just hold the pick up to the body and not for adjusting. I can't lower the action as it's already extremely low. I don't know the solution here! I am tempted to sell it. Or maybe there is a way of adjusting the height that I am not aware of. help! The floyd rose is set up properly with it being in line with the body of the guitar.


Posted Image
0

#2 User is offline   LPS1976 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1040
  • Joined: 17-July 14
  • LocationNashville

Posted 12 October 2016 - 10:03 AM

View PostAdam M, on 11 October 2016 - 10:16 AM, said:

Sorry if this on the wrong board.

On my kramer the 84 I wasn't happy with the tone the output is very quiet but I found the reason for this that the pick up is about half and inch away from the strings. But I can't adjust the pick up height as the screws just hold the pick up to the body and not for adjusting. I can't lower the action as it's already extremely low. I don't know the solution here! I am tempted to sell it. Or maybe there is a way of adjusting the height that I am not aware of. help! The floyd rose is set up properly with it being in line with the body of the guitar.


Posted Image


you should still be able to adjust the pickup by the mounting screws. if not, the solution could be longer screws or foam padding under the pickup.
0

#3 User is offline   sparquelito 

  • Tourette's Syndrome Sufferer
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 2404
  • Joined: 31-May 15
  • LocationNorthern Alabama

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:19 AM

View PostLPS1976, on 12 October 2016 - 10:03 AM, said:

you should still be able to adjust the pickup by the mounting screws. if not, the solution could be longer screws or foam padding under the pickup.


I agree with raising the pickup closer to the strings by placing some shim underneath the pickup, and then re-installing the screws.

I'm not sure about the foam padding idea though.
That could muffle or soften the sustain.
A better shim would be a thin block of wood.

With that the pickup could still provide some rock-solid sustain.

VERY cool Kramer guitar, by the way.
I love it!!
:)
Am I alone in this?

Am I alone?
0

#4 User is offline   LPS1976 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1040
  • Joined: 17-July 14
  • LocationNashville

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:31 PM

View Postsparquelito, on 16 October 2016 - 09:19 AM, said:

I agree with raising the pickup closer to the strings by placing some shim underneath the pickup, and then re-installing the screws.

I'm not sure about the foam padding idea though.
That could muffle or soften the sustain.
A better shim would be a thin block of wood.

With that the pickup could still provide some rock-solid sustain.

VERY cool Kramer guitar, by the way.
I love it!!
:)


the reason i mentioned the foam is that most of these usually have a piece of foam under the pickup separating it from the body and allowing it the room to be moved. it doesn't have springs under the screws like a lot of guitars.
0

#5 User is offline   sparquelito 

  • Tourette's Syndrome Sufferer
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 2404
  • Joined: 31-May 15
  • LocationNorthern Alabama

Posted 17 October 2016 - 05:23 PM

View PostLPS1976, on 17 October 2016 - 02:31 PM, said:

the reason i mentioned the foam is that most of these usually have a piece of foam under the pickup separating it from the body and allowing it the room to be moved. it doesn't have springs under the screws like a lot of guitars.


Ah.

Then I agree that a compromise is in order.

At any crafts store you can pick up small sheets of balsa wood for model airplane building.
Pick up a few, some thick, and some thin, and then try them out underneath the pickup.

At some point you will achieve the pickup height you desire, and the sustain should be (at the very least) as good as it was before.
But the volume and punch will be more visceral.

:)
Am I alone in this?

Am I alone?
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users