Gibson Brands Forums

Kramer pick up height problem

Adam M

Sorry if this on the wrong board.

On my kramer the 84 I wasn't happy with the tone the output is very quiet but I found the reason for this that the pick up is about half and inch away from the strings. But I can't adjust the pick up height as the screws just hold the pick up to the body and not for adjusting. I can't lower the action as it's already extremely low. I don't know the solution here! I am tempted to sell it. Or maybe there is a way of adjusting the height that I am not aware of. help! The floyd rose is set up properly with it being in line with the body of the guitar.

21533_84_Baretta_Red_Diver_Down_1404300219_1.jpg

Sorry if this on the wrong board.

On my kramer the 84 I wasn't happy with the tone the output is very quiet but I found the reason for this that the pick up is about half and inch away from the strings. But I can't adjust the pick up height as the screws just hold the pick up to the body and not for adjusting. I can't lower the action as it's already extremely low. I don't know the solution here! I am tempted to sell it. Or maybe there is a way of adjusting the height that I am not aware of. help! The floyd rose is set up properly with it being in line with the body of the guitar.

21533_84_Baretta_Red_Diver_Down_1404300219_1.jpg

you should still be able to adjust the pickup by the mounting screws. if not, the solution could be longer screws or foam padding under the pickup.

you should still be able to adjust the pickup by the mounting screws. if not, the solution could be longer screws or foam padding under the pickup.

I agree with raising the pickup closer to the strings by placing some shim underneath the pickup, and then re-installing the screws.

I'm not sure about the foam padding idea though.

That could muffle or soften the sustain.

A better shim would be a thin block of wood.

With that the pickup could still provide some rock-solid sustain.

VERY cool Kramer guitar, by the way.

I love it!!

:)

I agree with raising the pickup closer to the strings by placing some shim underneath the pickup, and then re-installing the screws.

I'm not sure about the foam padding idea though.

That could muffle or soften the sustain.

A better shim would be a thin block of wood.

With that the pickup could still provide some rock-solid sustain.

VERY cool Kramer guitar, by the way.

I love it!!

the reason i mentioned the foam is that most of these usually have a piece of foam under the pickup separating it from the body and allowing it the room to be moved. it doesn't have springs under the screws like a lot of guitars.

the reason i mentioned the foam is that most of these usually have a piece of foam under the pickup separating it from the body and allowing it the room to be moved. it doesn't have springs under the screws like a lot of guitars.

Ah.

Then I agree that a compromise is in order.

At any crafts store you can pick up small sheets of balsa wood for model airplane building.

Pick up a few, some thick, and some thin, and then try them out underneath the pickup.

At some point you will achieve the pickup height you desire, and the sustain should be (at the very least) as good as it was before.

But the volume and punch will be more visceral.

Archived