Gibson Brands Forums

2001 LP standard plus DC Greenburst from Mars Music

Hi, I have a 2001 LP Greenburst standard plus double cutaway I got new from Mars Music with gold hardware, and I'm trying to find out how many were made for them before Mars Music went under. This one has a piezo bridge pickup that was installed at Mars Music when I got it.

I've uploaded some pics into photobucket.com.

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/ebq5531/embed/slideshow/jalopenogreenburstlp

I haven't seen very many at all with this color, so I'm very curious about the production run

Thanks!

Hello and welcome to this board! [thumbup]

Your Les Paul DC looks nice from here! [love] Has she been a Mars Music exclusive, with or without the piezo bridge? Is the piezo signal fed passive to the ring of a TRS jack? Do you make use of it? Sorry for asking, but I'm a passionate player of hybrid solid-body guitars, albeit active ones with automatically stereo/mono switching outputs, two Gibsons and three Fenders stock, two Fenders retrofitted.

I know the task of determining numbers of items made all too well. In most cases there are only hints and no official announcements. I have seven seemingly rare Gibsons, but just of two of them the number made was published by Gibson. Two more never appeared on the Gibson website. One of them has been a dealer-exclusive model in the USA, they were made using a South American fretboard timber never before and never again used by Gibson, came with five finishes, and three each of three different finishes were available at a big retailer in UK. I bought mine via web brand-new at a small but notable German dealer, well-known for selling oddball instruments, in particular brand-new Gibsons and Fenders. She seems to be the only one with her finish that came officially to Europe. By the way, her serial number is a prime, and this is only the case with one more rare Gibson of mine. All other guitars and basses of mine have composite serial numbers. [biggrin] Anyway, she has at least a Gibson model number following their standard scheme, but the other one that couldn't be found on the Gibson website even doesn't have that. However, I was able to confirm the factory number via several dealer webpages, partly still archived, but they fade away.

Perhaps I will write to the Gibson Customer Service one day for more detailed informations, but the experiences on these fora tell that they never publish numbers of items unless previously stated.

Finally, just being rare won't make a guitar more valuable. It will always depend on what people being crazy about them for whatever reason are willing to pay. I bought them like all of my instruments for playability and sound and in most cases just live with the looks. My general motto is "the more transparent, the better" - I want them guitarmakers to exhibit the wood. Nonetheless I own several instruments with solid colours. What shall I do if there are no options like with the one being my avatar? ;)

20161010_191423.jpg

Ohhh yeah baby.... now that's what im talkin about... Beautiful... the DC is my favourite shape ever.

Gibson are generally tight lipped when it comes to production numbers... You could try emailing them but im not sure they will give that information out if they have it.

The piezo was installed at Mars Music before I picked up the guitar. Its a passive pickup going directly to a TRS. I use a stereo cable with a split end for 2 amp paths. If a standard cable is used, then you just have access to the standard guitar electronics. I used to use an accoustasonic jr. amp, but I switched to a fishman pro preamp, and that thing is awesome. I can dial in pretty much any acoustic sound I want. I don't play this one much anymore, but I used to use it with songs doubling up on acoustic and electric parts. Works pretty good for hotel california... ;)

I did get an email back from Gibson confirming that is was a Mars exclusive, but to your point, no production numbers. The proper color name for is emeraldburst.

Archived