Gibson Brands Forums

Not sure about the EMGs

Lou574

I inherited a Gr4 a few months ago from my best friend who passed away. The guitar plays great, everything about it is great. The problem I'm having is, the guitar has EMGs, ssh. I have a Sadowsky that had EMG SEe in it. I took them out for the same reason I'm thinking of taking these out. They're very clean, very quiet, loud, but no character. My question is this, is there a passive ssh combination that is great in that guitar ? This is my first Steinberger, so I'm not really up on what other owners favor. My strats, Teles, Gretsch, Les Paul, all have a signature voice to them, the Steinberger just sounds like a loud acoustic. I know it's an individual thing, but I'd appreciate a few suggestions. Thanks, Lou

I inherited a Gr4 a few months ago from my best friend who passed away. The guitar plays great, everything about it is great. The problem I'm having is, the guitar has EMGs, ssh. I have a Sadowsky that had EMG SEe in it. I took them out for the same reason I'm thinking of taking these out. They're very clean, very quiet, loud, but no character. My question is this, is there a passive ssh combination that is great in that guitar ? This is my first Steinberger, so I'm not really up on what other owners favor. My strats, Teles, Gretsch, Les Paul, all have a signature voice to them, the Steinberger just sounds like a loud acoustic. I know it's an individual thing, but I'd appreciate a few suggestions. Thanks, Lou

Hello Lou,

if your guitar really is a GR4, it should have passive Seymour Duncan pickups anyway. See the original flyer announcing the GR4. The EMGs you have are aftermarket replacements, no GR originally came with them.

Bernd

• 4 weeks later...
I'd like to know what the best passive ssh combination is. Price isn't an issue. I know it's subjective, but l need a starting point.

The "best" starting point - in my opinion - would be going back to original, Seymour Duncan Custom Hot Rails and Humbucker. This would be "best" as in "designed this way". Other than that, there is no best, as … it's subjective ;)

• 1 year later...

The "best" starting point - in my opinion - would be going back to original, Seymour Duncan Custom Hot Rails and Humbucker. This would be "best" as in "designed this way". Other than that, there is no best, as … it's subjective ;)

Archived