Gibson Brands Forums

Discovering Chet Atkins

Gibson Artist

Scrolling thru my local Craigslist i noticed someone with a Chet Atkins Country Gentleman guitar. It looks cool even the finish is worn off, but i remember hearing a few of his songs when i was a kid. My father was a big country fan, atkins, cash, freddie fender, not the modern pop stuff they play today, the old time country. Curiousity got the best of me and i went to youtube and found some old vids of him playing. Interestingly enough, i seemed to find more of him playing a Gibson than i did his Gretsch? My question is did he have a Gibson Signature model like so many other great artists? I really dig this guy's style, but his wikipedia doesnt give his gear list and in this video he is clearly playing a Gibby hollowbody of some kind. Anyone got some more info?

He had a few models with his name attached with Gretsch from the mid 50s to the very late 70s. The Country Gentleman, Tennessean, and Nashville. He was frustrated with Gretsch management and in the very late 70s or 1980-ish, he severed ties with them. That was about the time the Boonevile, Arkansas factory had closed.... or 1981 maybe. They continued to make a handful of Country Gentleman guitars, some in Arkansas, some in Mexico, but they were called the Southern Belle. Rare birds. I was told by the former manager at Boonevile that there were several dozen stashed away in a building somewhere. I've since found a bunch of NOS Gretsch stuff that was found in GA, so it adds up. Including a couple unfinished Southern Belles. I didn't bite. The manager also told me of a conversation with Chet in the later days. Chet said, "WHY can't you build the guitars I want you to build?" His response was "We can build anything you want but management won't LET us!"

He jumped over to Gibson and has had a few models with Gibson since then, a couple strange hybrid solid bodies that look like acoustics, one steel string and one nylon. Around 1987 they began making a new version of the Country Gentleman and in the early 90s the Tennessean, both single cutaway models. I had a black '91 Country Gentleman. Nice guitar.

He had a few models with his name attached with Gretsch from the mid 50s to the very late 70s. The Country Gentleman, Tennessean, and Nashville. He was frustrated with Gretsch management and in the very late 70s or 1980-ish, he severed ties with them. That was about the time the Boonevile, Arkansas factory had closed.... or 1981 maybe. They continued to make a handful of Country Gentleman guitars, some in Arkansas, some in Mexico, but they were called the Southern Belle. Rare birds. I was told by the former manager at Boonevile that there were several dozen stashed away in a building somewhere. I've since found a bunch of NOS Gretsch stuff that was found in GA, so it adds up. Including a couple unfinished Southern Belles. I didn't bite. The manager also told me of a conversation with Chet in the later days. Chet said, "WHY can't you build the guitars I want you to build?" His response was "We can build anything you want but management won't LET us!"

He jumped over to Gibson and has had a few models with Gibson since then, a couple strange hybrid solid bodies that look like acoustics, one steel string and one nylon. Around 1987 they began making a new version of the Country Gentleman and in the early 90s the Tennessean, both single cutaway models. I had a black '91 Country Gentleman. Nice guitar.

Interesting account. Thanks!

Ah thanks for the history lesson! i did see him with different looking acoustics but didnt know what they were. The hidden gem belles are interesting i suppose, i found it funny when Chris Cornell had Gibson make a sig for him and it essentially had the Gretsch type pickups. Seemed to be a Gretsch with a Gibson name lol.

He also was good friends with Les Paul. I heard that one of the reasons Les Pauls started getting more ornate was that he had a friendly competition going on with Chet on who owned the most blingy guitar :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xut3N2O42Ho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByGsHTlKmWk

Wow, these two were magic, what a performance and what the heck was that black box?? Its like a looper on the guitar? Never seen anything like that?? i see what looks like a 70s ripper bass in the back too.

Wow, these two were magic, what a performance and what the heck was that black box?? Its like a looper on the guitar? Never seen anything like that?? i see what looks like a 70s ripper bass in the back too.

yeah theres loads of great clips on youtube of them..

And that black box... that's the Les Pulveriser... From what I know, its a joke he played on the audience and he had guys at the back with tape recorders recording and playing stuff back... Well that's what I heard anyway, I don't think the tech existed to do that back then.. I could be wrong though

Heres another cool one with Chet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSdThfseSkQ

If you haven't seen the Les Paul "Chasing Sound" documentary, I highly recommend it.

As for Chet Atkins, two things he said always stood out for me (paraphrasing here), when asked about practice and playing, he said something to the effect of "if there's an easier way to learn this, I'd like to know. I've been looking for a long time, and it just isn't there."

The second is when someone heard him playing and made a comment to the effect of "Wow Chet, that guitar sounds amazing." At that point, CA put the guitar on a stand, stood up and looked at that person and said "How does it sound now?"

Both of these guys were not only gifted players, but really pretty humble guys as well, considering all they'd accomplished.

yeah theres loads of great clips on youtube of them..

And that black box... that's the Les Pulveriser... From what I know, its a joke he played on the audience and he had guys at the back with tape recorders recording and playing stuff back... Well that's what I heard anyway, I don't think the tech existed to do that back then.. I could be wrong though

Heres another cool one with Chet

Someday i want to try the les paul recording and professional with those stratish looking pickups.

Archived