Gibson Brands Forums

What Amp do you like?

gfa

What amp are you folks liking these days? My usage will be for a 3 or 4 piece ensemble, vocals and instruments into an Ear Trumpet Labs LCD mic (i.e., no pickups). I'm looking at something like a Fishman Loudbox Artist, Carvin AG300, etc. Looking to spend about $500-700. I don't have any decent opportunity to check them out in person.

Thanks!

What amp are you folks liking these days? My usage will be for a 3 or 4 piece ensemble, vocals and instruments into an Ear Trumpet Labs LCD mic (i.e., no pickups). I'm looking at something like a Fishman Loudbox Artist, Carvin AG300, etc. Looking to spend about $500-700. I don't have any decent opportunity to check them out in person.

Thanks!

For the set-up and the requirements you describe, you don't desire to purchase a guitar amplifier, you are looking for a decent PA (Public Address system).

In other words, you would be wise to cable the Ear Trumpet Labs LCD mic directly into one channel of a decent PA.

Do you already have the speaker cabinets?

Cables, etc?

I have found that you can never go wrong with Peavey when it comes to PA systems.

The Fender Passport series are good for smaller venues, but the onboard effects are limited.

I am quite fond of my Behringer system.

Check those out as well.

[mellow]

For the set-up and the requirements you describe, you don't desire to purchase a guitar amplifier, you are looking for a decent PA (Public Address system).

In other words, you would be wise to cable the Ear Trumpet Labs LCD mic directly into one channel of a decent PA.

[mellow]

I appreciate the suggestion, but having weighed some pros & cons I decided to go with an amp rather than a PA/powered speaker.

I appreciate the suggestion, but having weighed some pros & cons I decided to go with an amp rather than a PA/powered speaker.

Okay, then (if you will allow me), just a few questions;

* Is this for in-house practice and fun with friends

or

for live performance at paying gigs?

* If it's the latter, how large are the performance halls, clubs, or bars where you will be performing?

* Will there be any open-air (outdoor) gigs?

Truth be told, I'm not tracking on the desire for a guitar amplifier to satisfy your band's sound requirements.

It doesn't sound like the right match for your stated outcomes.

:unsure:

Not to steal the thread, but I'm looking for a similar amp at the same price range as well. I would use it for "in home practice and fun with friends", what would you recommend? I'm not electronically savvy, know nothing of pa systems and would like to keep it simple.

Not to steal the thread, but I'm looking for a similar amp at the same price range as well. I would use it for "in home practice and fun with friends", what would you recommend? I'm not electronically savvy, know nothing of pa systems and would like to keep it simple.

In that case, the amp you want is the Crate Telluride.

It's a fantastic acoustic guitar amplifier with a microphone input for vocals as well as the guitar input.

And you have a foot switch for reverb and chorus effects, all of which are adjustable and sublime.

I cannot say enough good things about this acoustic amplifier.

It's tough, full-featured, and it delivers the goods.

rmpqcpzq37htw1vxzrce.jpg

Okay, then (if you will allow me), just a few questions;

* Is this for in-house practice and fun with friends

or

for live performance at paying gigs?

* If it's the latter, how large are the performance halls, clubs, or bars where you will be performing?

Truth be told, I'm not tracking on the desire for a guitar amplifier to satisfy your band's sound requirements.

It doesn't sound like the right match for your stated outcomes.

:unsure:

"* Is this for in-house practice and fun with friends

or

for live performance at paying gigs?"

Both

"* If it's the latter, how large are the performance halls, clubs, or bars where you will be performing?"

About the size where something like a Fishman Loudbox Artist or Carvin AG300 would be appropriate.

Who can say?

"Truth be told, I'm not tracking on the desire for a guitar amplifier to satisfy your band's sound requirements.

It doesn't sound like the right match for your stated outcomes. "

Again, thank you for that, but that wasn't my question.

It sounds like your mind is pretty much made up, and you need a nudge to purchase either the Fishman or the Carvin.

For overall toughness and reliability, between the two, I would go for the Carvin.

For all the reasons I stated earlier to Slinky1, I would find a Crate Telluride, and be done with it.

THAT amp does it all.

:)

I cannot recommend AER gear enough I use a Compact 60 , if you went second hand you could even pick up a higher rated watt AER

I love my AER now so much that these days I refuse to go direct into a PA but always now run it through the AER then a line out to the PA.

If AER is out of budget then Marshall As100D will get the job done with style.

I'm a big fan of Carvin. Don't know much about the stuff from the last 8/10 years as my stuff is aging, but it was always well built, bulletproof dependable and sounded like stuff costing twice as much due to the "direct to customer" business model.

<-------- My old AG100D.

Some will laugh but I actually really like the scrawny little Fishman Loudbox Mini. I have a pair of them. Scored the both for $280 ($140/each) off of CL. Previously owned an SWR California Blonde, which was a KILLER acoustic amp, but just WAAAAY more power than I'd ever need and was a heavy beast. Now I mostly play in a duo or solo, and it's either at my house, small gatherings, for friends or a small group, and am considering doing some really small little shows here in the backyard at my house, and these little amps sound surprisingly great!I've also owned the larger Fishman Loudbox Artist but prefer the sound of the Mini, and they are so small and portable. I run my guitars through a Radial PZ Pre into the Loudbox and get a great sound. In addition to the larger Loudbox Artist I have also owned a Marshall ASD50, but wasn't a fan.

If you want loud and clean try to score a California Blonde. Lindsay Buckingham and Jackson Browne can't be wrong. Or anything else high end from AER, Schertler, Unico, etc. Or if you're on a budget the Carvin acoustic amps are hard to beat.

Give the Fishman Loudbox Mini a shot. Seriously, I hated on those amps for years until trying one a few months ago and now own two. They sound pretty good going right into the amp, but paired with a good preamp/DI that has a high quality EQ section and you're in business. Very versatile and loud amp that wont break the bank (especially used) that is basically made for the situations you describe.

"* If it's the latter, how large are the performance halls, clubs, or bars where you will be performing?"

About the size where something like a Fishman Loudbox Artist or Carvin AG300 would be appropriate.

Who can say?

"Truth be told, I'm not tracking on the desire for a guitar amplifier to satisfy your band's sound requirements.

It doesn't sound like the right match for your stated outcomes. "

Again, thank you for that, but that wasn't my question.

Geez, no offense you but seem a bit defensive! Guy's just trying to get more info and be a little helpful. Seems like you already made up your mind though and it's going to be a Loudbox of Carvin AG300. Answering with, " About the size where something like a Fishman Loudbox Artist or Carvin AG300 would be appropriate" is zero help. What you might think is appropriate might not be what someone else considers appropriate. You obviously asked to get other's opinions, so if you don't like what someone else suggests just take it with a grain of salt.

Thanks!

Since you will need more channels than the Carvin AG300 provides you may want to look into the Carvin S600B with six channels. The regular price is $799, but Carvin often has 10% off sales for the entire inventory. I have one and the sound is full and much richer than one would expect. There is a sub speaker attachment available but you probably won't need it with just acoustic guitars and vocals.

http://carvinaudio.com/collections/s600/products/s600b

Geez, no offense you but seem a bit defensive! Guy's just trying to get more info and be a little helpful.

sbpark - Perhaps. I was wary of more "you don't know what you need" commentary. A bit of a pet peeve I have about forums in general. Thank you for pointing it out to me.

Thanks to all for the recommendations. There are a couple of new-to-me amps there, I will check them out.

sbpark - Perhaps. I was wary of more "you don't know what you need" commentary. A bit of a pet peeve I have about forums in general. Thank you for pointing it out to me.

Thanks to all for the recommendations. There are a couple of new-to-me amps there, I will check them out.

No worries, and I get it. I have ben guilty of the same, I'll admit. I will agree with you though, that sometimes others can have a tendency to force down your throat whatever they use instead of what may be best for the scenario or situation.

Archived