Gibson Brands Forums

Remaks of covers you like better than the original.So

quapman

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love Izzy's version of the stones..

NHTom

Awesome! How about his excellent version of Crazy Horse's Gone Dead Train?

...and of course his definitive cover of that reggae guy's Pressure Drop (I forget his name).

Talking of cover versions, how about a band (or part of a band) covering themselves and improving the song.

For me, Page and Plant's version of Kashmir was far superior to their original version. (Yes, I know there was no JP Jones or Bonham, but Charlie Jones and Michael Lee played it superbly AND listen to that Egyptian ensemble & orchestra. Kicks the butt off the original I believe (and I love the original!). Friends and Four Sticks were also improved on the No Quarter Unledded concert DVD I think. One of the best things they ever did post Zep. (Oh and Robert finally stopped singing like a high pitched girl for the most part haha - sounded much better to me)

Here's the original sung by the former keyboarder, singer and songwriter with the Michael Stanley Band, Kevin Raleigh:

I'll give MAJOR bonus points for the MSB/Kevin Raleigh reference!!!!!

NHTom

i liked quiet riots covers of slades, "mamma we are all crazy now", and "come on feel the noise", better than the original

I liked tesla's version of "signs" better than dillon's

On the other side of things every single cover by guns and roses completely sucked.

As much as I adore Leonard's original of this tune there is no denying ,my ear, that K.D. kills it.

You can have my man card. I won't be needing it. She knocks this one out of the park.

She does. On the same record she also does Helpless by that other Canuckistanian guy really well. Like, beautiful well.

rct

Eva! And every cover she ever did. She was so...special

Have to agree with that...I think her 'Fields Of Gold' is far better than Sting's and her "Autumn Leaves" is superb.

An extraordinary talent and sadly missed - she deserved a lot more.

• 2 weeks later...

OH i dont know if this counts, but i liked Ozzys entire Speak Of The Devil, better then the original version of those tunes with BS.

The whole guitar tone was sharper than iommi's, less muddy than sabbath, it accompanied Ozzy's voice nicely.

• 2 months later...

Archived