Gibson Brands Forums

Remaks of covers you like better than the original.So

quapman

So Searcy's post of Satch doing Cortez got me thinking of a post.

I'm hard to sway and usually go with what I'm used to hearing, as well most humans are.

So there are few remakes of covers that do it for me. But there are a few.

One that comes to mind for me is Disturbed doing The Sound Of Silence.

For me, their version just blows the original away. And I do like me some S&G.

But man, dude just kills it in this remake. It's like a whole new song for me.

Powerful as hell.

So. What say you. Have you any remakes of covers you like better than the original?

Post em up.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much the same here and not many. Only two comes to mind is David Lee Roth in California Girls plus I just love their Video. And Joni Mitchell's Woodstock. I know she wrote it but Crosby Stills Nash & Young definitely improved the song.

Honestly, that Disturbed cover is pretty bad in my opinion. They didn't change enough of the song for me to care to listen to it. Id rather listen to the Simon and Garfunkel version. I would have preferred they do it in their nu-metal style.

I like this version of Eleanor Rigby. It's not the greatest cover but i like it.

Honestly, that Disturbed cover is pretty bad in my opinion. They didn't change enough of the song for me to care to listen to it. Id rather listen to the Simon and Garfunkel version. I would have preferred they do it in their nu-metal style.

I like this version of Eleanor Rigby. It's not the greatest cover but i like it.

Have you ever heard the Aretha Franklin version?

The Band owned Springsteen's "Atlantic City" on the 1995 Jericho album. My single favorite cover song ever! Levon's daughter still covers it regularly. A masterpiece!

Yes I liked their version very much too - better than Bruce I thought.

Not exactly what the OP was thinking, but....songwriters like (for instance) Antonio Carlos Jobim and Hoagy Carmichael wrote many wonderful tunes but were not good singers.

So almost any cover of a Jobim or Carmichael song is 'better' - or more pleasing to hear - than the composers original version. Depends on what the artist brings to it.

How about Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah"?....the Jeff Buckley version.

"I Who Have Nothing" - I prefer the Tom Jones version over Ben E. King's excellent version

"The Weight" - The Band did a nice job, but Aretha blew it out of the park

"Respect" - Originally a great song by Otis Redding, and Aretha took it 5 steps higher

"Pictures At An Exhibition" - the Mussorgsky piano version is good, but when Ravel orchestrated it it became great

"Bijou" - Lambert, Hendricks, and Ross did nice version, Mark Murphy did it better.

"Cloudburst" - Claude Cloud and His Thunderclaps version can't compare with the Lambert, Hendricks and Ross cover

"Stolen Moments" - Oliver Nelson version is good, but the Mark Murphy version is better

"Good Bye Pork Pie Hat" - Charles Mingus' great song was put to words by Joni Mitchell and then Mark Murphy elevated it to new heights

"Body And Soul" - James Moody did a version without playing the melody, Eddie Jefferson put words to it and sang it, then Manhattan Transfer blew it away

"Shaky Ground" - by The Temptations was good, the Etta James version is great

Most everything Bob Dylan sang was covered better by someone else. Great lyricist, lousy singer though.

"See You In September" by the Happenings is much better than that of the Tempos

I could go on and on and on

Notes

When I love a song, I tend to stick with the original artist's version. However, that doesn't mean I don't like, or even love,

another artist's interpretation. The Beatles song "With A Little Help From My Friends," and Joe Cocker's version, is just one

example. Both are Great, but wildly different, too. I guess, I just prefer the term "different," or unique, to "better than,"

which for me, is very subjective.

But, of course, there will be versions that I don't care for, as well. That's OK! Other people will feel however they feel,

about the same song/interpretation. It's all Good!

CB

Ray Charles sang Leon Russell's "A Song for You" to Willie Nelson on Willie's 70th birthday. it moved Willie to tears.

Leon, Willie & Ray took turns singing it so I'm not sure if it counts. Basically anything Ray Charles ever sang that was someone else's was better.

Archived