Gibson Brands Forums

Broken Luck - Blues King Electro for 10 Bucks...& counting

I walked into a pawn shop the other day and the proprietor was rearranging the guitars on the wall. He said that he needed to make room for some more guitars and handed me this guitar and said, “Ten bucks and it’s yours”. At first I’m like, what cheap guitar is this guy handing me? Then I noticed it was a Gibson and I’m like what? It soon became apparent why he was parting with it so cheap.

It’s a 1994 100th year anniversary edition. It appears to have been played very little as there is no wear on the frets or rosewood fingerboard. The neck is pushed into the body about a quarter inch. There are no signs as how it got smashed that way because there are no nicks or dings on any other part of the guitar except the neck binding. The bridge was pealing up and the top seam has separated. The finish has spider cracks all over. It looks like it was stuck up in the attic or better yet, out in the tool shed for 22 years. Although the neck is straight. *After further inspection I have determined that the reason for the pushed in neck is because it was under constant string tension for many years after the damage. It probably got stepped on.

It needs a new top so I’m going to pull the neck and get started on it. I really hate to do it but I’m also going to strip and refinish it. I have some instrument repair experience. I built a balalaika once. I also repair the violins for the local middle school when the kids break the necks off. I have not stripped a guitar before. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I figured I would sign up to this forum and share the experience. I’ll post the progress here with pictures. Cheers!

Good thing I had ten bucks on me at the time! [smile]

Please don't use "Reply" or "MultiQuote". Scroll to bottom and hit "ADD REPLY" so all the pictures don't double up. Thank you!

SAM_0842_Copy.jpg1994 Blues King Electro

002.jpgessentially a J-185

003.jpgI think the old logo was used on this model between 1994 & 1996

004.jpgThe neck has been pushed into the body. I wonder if the block is damaged.

007.jpgLooks like the Sahara Desert

006.jpgMaple back and sides

009.jpgV-Shaped neck

Heat is my friend

0012.jpg

I'm replacing the top as well as the binding on the neck so I'm not worried about damage. A hot knife melts through the glue.

0014.jpg

Making of the "Decapitator" (Neck pulling jig)

0015.jpg

Spool Clamps...very 'BIG' Spool Clamps!

0016.jpg

Ready to be decapitated

0019.jpg

0021.jpg

First thing was to find a needle for injecting steam. Smallest end of a telescoping antenna is to big. 16 gauge X 1 1/2" horse needle was to short. 3 1/2" X 16 gauge ink injection needle is just right. Although the paint sprayer steamer worked good I settled on the espresso machine on a ladder approach.

0023.jpg

0022.jpg

Patience...Patience...Puff...Puff...Patience...

0024.jpg

The steam softened the fingerboard so I immediately clamped the neck to a straight edge so it doesn't twist or warp.

0027.jpg

0028.jpg

Paper shims were discovered. I wonder if that is proper. Maybe go ask B.M. :rolleyes:

Please don't use "Reply" or "MultiQuote". Scroll to bottom and hit "ADD REPLY" so all the pictures don't double up. Thank you!

Archived