Gibson Brands Forums

Saw My first Chibson today, in it's natural habitat

Miguello

At a pawn shop of course. I was proud of myself for noticing within a few seconds of picking it up. This was not even one of the good ones. The things I spotted within a minute or two of looking at it? Knobs were too small of a diameter. Switch plate was absent, with no indication there ever was one. Serial number and "made in USA" were stamped in, but also filled in with gold paint. Scarf joint about 2.5 inches from the headstock. Headstock angle was way too shallow. Les Paul logo was on top of the paint. Gibson logo was abalone, but not crisp, and looked more like Gibsun. No binding around the ends of the frets. Tuner knobs didn't have the little design cuts on the edges, and the shafts were about an eighth of an inch thick. Tuner backs weren't stamped with a name brand and appeared a little too small. It was supposed to be emulating a plain top, like my Epi LP, and the finish was pretty nice, and even about the right color. There was also a strange dent in the back, like the sander got stuck while they were finishing the body. They had $299 as a price on it, so the shop obviously knew something was up? It would have been at least $650 if not more, knowing the pawn shops around here. I almost want to offer them something for it, just to have it, yah know? If it at least plays, it would be a funny conversation piece.

At a pawn shop of course. I was proud of myself for noticing within a few seconds of picking it up. This was not even one of the good ones. The things I spotted within a minute or two of looking at it? Knobs were too small of a diameter. Switch plate was absent, with no indication there ever was one. Serial number and "made in USA" were stamped in, but also filled in with gold paint. Scarf joint about 2.5 inches from the headstock. Headstock angle was way too shallow. Les Paul logo was on top of the paint. Gibson logo was abalone, but not crisp, and looked more like Gibsun. No binding around the ends of the frets. Tuner knobs didn't have the little design cuts on the edges, and the shafts were about an eighth of an inch thick. Tuner backs weren't stamped with a name brand and appeared a little too small. It was supposed to be emulating a plain top, like my Epi LP, and the finish was pretty nice, and even about the right color. There was also a strange dent in the back, like the sander got stuck while they were finishing the body. They had $299 as a price on it, so the shop obviously knew something was up? It would have been at least $650 if not more, knowing the pawn shops around here. I almost want to offer them something for it, just to have it, yah know? If it at least plays, it would be a funny conversation piece.

[biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin] Obviously one of SG player's trade-ins . . .

I would ignore your initial reservations, and dismiss all your feeling of trepidation about that pawnshop guitar.

I have it on good authority that counterfeit guitars are extremely rare, and most guitars you encounter are as pure as the driven snow.

When in doubt, assume it's the real McCoy.

[wink]

I would ignore your initial reservations, and dismiss all your feeling of trepidation about that pawnshop guitar.

I have it on good authority that counterfeit guitars are extremely rare, and most guitars you encounter are as pure as the driven snow.

[wink]

My Epiphone LP is nicer by far. No scarf joint on the neck [thumbup] .

[wink]

This was me being sarcastic, by the way.

[unsure]

Archived