Gibson Brands Forums

Grandmaster Flash - "White Lines"

Searcy

Yeah I like it too... Whats not to like :)

I was wondering.... I got in to Rap at the same time as I got in to rock.. The 80s... I wonder if the Rap from that era is like the rock music from that era, where you kind of had to be growing up around it when it came out to really appreciate it...

Like De La Soul, 3 Feet High and Rising was one of the first albums I ever owned (well certainly one of the early ones)... And I even liked the more poppy stuff like Tone Loc even though I don't listen to that any more, but I liked it at the time.. De La Soul I still listen too..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azYBGqFHwbA

I was wondering.... I got in to Rap at the same time as I got in to rock.. The 80s... I wonder if the Rap from that era is like the rock music from that era, where you kind of had to be growing up around it when it came out to really appreciate it...

Hmm, not sure. I grew up with a sister who loved Cyprus Hill, Ice T, dance/ techno and I couldn't stand most of it! Some Cyprus Hill and Beastie Boys is okish, but I used to blast Guns N Roses and Nirvana through our adjoining wall to drown her music tastes out [smile] A lot of kids at school liked rap, dance and pop...I thought it was crap and for the 'cool' kids!

...I meant to add, I think it was the lack of instrumentation in these genres that didn't appeal to me. I did like the Beastie Boys on their instrumentals and stuff like Sabotage was ok - which was a bit more rock orientated. I was a weird kid though, I used to go with my Dad each week to see a jazz duo on a Sunday afternoon (and I loved that - the guitarist had a Gibson ES 175). I also loved the darker side of classical music (the far out stuff) and watched the proms each year, especially liking violin concertos. This was not normal for a kid in my area I discovered, as kids at school would call me classical mosher and say jazz sucks! Little b**stards! Maybe this made me dislike their music tastes even more and it kinda stuck with me to dislike rap, pop and dance as it reminds me high school.

Like De La Soul, 3 Feet High and Rising was one of the first albums I ever owned...

De La Soul is great. My tastes are into the early hip hop, before De La Soul. Growing up North of Detroit in the 80s we have were fortunate to have a Sunday night radio show hosted by the one and only Electrifying Mojo. That cat turned us on to the classic hip hop sounds.

Speaking of Grandmaster Flash...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYMkEMCHtJ4

+1 for Kurtis.

The original homies for us NewJerseyans, with the first #1. Didn't think much of it then, it was just more different music that was everywhere at the time:

Two years later, first rap video on the MTV, a television channel that used to play, get this, nothing but music, 24 hours a day. I know, right??!!

rct

...I meant to add, I think it was the lack of instrumentation in these genres that didn't appeal to me. I did like the Beastie Boys on their instrumentals and stuff like Sabotage was ok - which was a bit more rock orientated. I was a weird kid though, I used to go with my Dad each week to see a jazz duo on a Sunday afternoon (and I loved that - the guitarist had a Gibson ES 175). I also loved the darker side of classical music (the far out stuff) and watched the proms each year, especially liking violin concertos. This was not normal for a kid in my area I discovered, as kids at school would call me classical mosher and say jazz sucks! Little b**stards! Maybe this made me dislike their music tastes even more and it kinda stuck with me to dislike rap, pop and dance as it reminds me high school.

I certainly didn't mean all people from the 80s like it (I had many rocker and "metaler" friends who hated it).... Its just that often I find the only people who appreciate 80s rock are 80s teenagers..

But for me, one of the reasons I like it because I can hear roots of music that I love within it.. Sometimes its a rock riff, or an old soul record sample or something.. But I also like the fats beats and bass you can often get with Hip Hop and mainly with Rap its about the flow of the rap.. I enjoy that...

I was introduced by a friend to a modern rapper called Brother Ali... REALLY good... Check some tracks from an album called US... Actually hes the only rapper I have ever seen live... Really enjoyed it too.

(swear warning (obviously ;))

+1 for Kurtis.

The original homies for us NewJerseyans, with the first #1. Didn't think much of it then, it was just more different music that was everywhere at the time:

rct

Sugarhill Gang; right on, brother!

When I was a kid growing up in south Florida some of my best friends were the black kids that lived next door to us. They had a cousin that lived in New York that would come stay with them in the summer. She always brought these cool mix tapes of underground music from New York that no one in south Florida had heard yet. This is how I heard Blondie, The Talking Heads, The Gap Band, Sugar Hill Gang and so many others for the first time. It was so cool collecting new music back then.

A few years later I was in high school and a full on metal head. This meant I was too cool to listen to anything else and I poopooed early rap as it went from being an underground, almost punk style to a main stream music form.

As I got older and looked back on the early hip hop I have a better understanding of how important it was. As I get older my appreciation for more and more styles of music just grows. I think being a bass player helps in that respect as it's usually easy to find killer bass lines in almost any music style. We really are lucky to be alive in an age where you can just click on a link and discover new (or old) music. Why back in my day...!

How many can tell me what famous bass player got his first paying check as a musician playing on this session? No googling.

How many can tell me what famous bass player got his first paying check as a musician playing on this session? No googling.

No idea??

So what do you guys think of the Gorillaz then?

I remember when Feel Good Inc came out... I happened to catch it on MTV one night while flipping channels.. And I sat there mesmerised with my mouth open in awe for the whole song...

To me this music is the future... its a mix of guitar, dance, hip hop and rap... and its done seamlessly.. Its perfect... Also its a mix of Damon, De La Soul, Mick Jones and Paul Simonon (from The Clash) and you can really hear the collective experience involved...

Used to listen to (for a rocker) quite a bit of hip hop. Kinda burnt out on it these days. Too many rich guys with lame pop choruses around. Too much of it seems to lack an edge these days.

Unless you count shooting people dead or getting shot dead. I guess I'm also a bit put off by the fact that there's been so little progress there, despite many thoughtful attempts by key players. You still have all these murders, like when, if I remember correctly, Proof was murdered over a game of pool. A very sad state of affairs.

Archived