Gibson Brands Forums

Ugliest Expensive Guitars Ever?

sparquelito

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about a nicely aged silverburst Custom?

11267798_800.jpg

Bence.

I have seen one of these in very similar looking condition in person last year at the Thomann service. A native American living in Germany for decades after leaving the US Army brought it there for refretting. I was allowed to lay hands on her, and she was quite heavy, over 5 kgs respectively 11 lbs to my feel. A hell of a beauty though. I always have loved Les Paul Customs with chrome hardware! [thumbup]

Now that looks a lot better.

I guess it's all in the darker hues.

And Cappy, your 2011 Antique Natural remakes and 1973 L6-S original are gorgeous in my opinion.

I have always loved natural finishes.

:)

Thank you very much, Sparky. I have always loved natural finishes, too, but just a few of the particular guitar and bass models I liked were available this way.

Anyway, I always went with finishes I can live with and never considered custom refinishings. Lots of pals living in my region had the like done over the years, and some had the colours of a guitar changed like some girls do with their hair. [scared]

This is the ugliest LP I can find.

The bigsby looks like it shouldn't be there. Add to that the dead caterpillar flame job and its sickbags on standby.

uglyLP.jpg

Myself? I quite liked the blue strat.

That's the Joe Perry isn't it? True, the flames are a bit garish in that finish, but I like that one and I've always loved Bigsby's (I think I'm in the minority).

My favourite Joe Perry model was his first one from the 90's - the trans black studio that he used during the Nine Lives era. I saw one in person once - wish I had have had the cash to buy it, but I was about 13 at the time!

The blue Strat looked hideous to me...that shade of blue - YUK! Even worse than Pelham Blue

Don't know why, but the only solid body finishes that I can't tolerate well involve orange and/or urine yellow��

:rolleyes: No urine yellow here, but transparent orange:

IMG_0671_zpsruemekcx.jpg

Would you like that rather on a Gretsch hollow-body guitar?

Don't know why, but the only solid body finishes that I can't tolerate well involve orange and/or urine yellow😬

ruh-roh

'05 American Jazz, Transparent Sunset Orange on Ash. Waited 8 months for them to make it. Best built, best sounding Fender I have ever seen or touched, every time I whack at it I can't believe I own it. A piano you play standing up:

Jazz1.jpg

My #1, '97 California Fat Tele, Vintage White is the original color, only visible on the very edges and under the pickguard, most call it other, worserer things:

Tele5.jpg

rct

I think a lot of the high end Fender & Gibson Custom Shop relics are contenders for ugliest finish. I just can't see why you would spend £4,799 (in this case below ) on a guitar that is all bashed up but brand new. Fair enough if it was really from the 50's or 60's, but even then I wouldn't like an old bashed up guitar, just looks bad to me. I have an old Squier which is the only guitar I let get beat up, but wish I had looked after it better now as it looks just like this Fender in the link below (but in sunburst). Fair enough if people like it though...

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=160603298260003-382423

I would like to put myself forward as a volunteer to relic guitars for people. I guarantee 100% natural wear for all the guitars I take on.

This may take a few years, but you can have them back whenever you want. This service is free to all.

My address supplied on application.

-evans

Perhaps not the ugliest but the strangest guitars I've seen Gibson come out with are the Holy V, The Upside Down V, Holy Explorer and the map of America guitar.

Ugliest I guess would have to be that Firebird X or whatever that thing is called.

Perhaps not the ugliest but the strangest guitars I've seen Gibson come out with are the Holy V, The Upside Down V, Holy Explorer and the map of America guitar.

Ugliest I guess would have to be that Firebird X or whatever that thing is called.

True trivia:

The Map of America guitar, like what Dave Stuart(ewart) used, with Annie Lennox? That's not a Gibson. It was all done, all the parts ready, most, if not all of them put together. Gibson took them from Epiphone and put their name on them. They are Epiphones, 100%.

You are quite welcome.

rct

Even putting aside the distasteful issue of cashing in on a recently dead Kurt, the Jag-Stang should never have seen the light of day, cos its just butt-ugly (even worse in person than in the pictures)

... but,.... for me the Zakk Wylde half V-half SG thing is probably the suckiest guitar I've seen (and I've seen Parkers).

(no offence to what you have, blah blah blah etc)

I see a lot of nice guitars on here. Ugly to me are those headless guitars. Just looks like someone decapitated the head. I know lost of people like them and I've seen them used in bands and on sale on the network but to me those things are UGLY, regardless how they sound. Can't even figure out how they tune them.

I see a lot of nice guitars on here. Ugly to me are those headless guitars. Just looks like someone decapitated the head. I know lost of people like them and I've seen them used in bands and on sale on the network but to me those things are UGLY, regardless how they sound. Can't even figure out how they tune them.

The tuners on those are located on the bridge side of the guitar.

Have you guys seen Minarik guitars? Those are about as fugly as it gets.

Perhaps this appearance at the 2016 NAMM show can be seen as Jim DeCola's approach to a forthcoming Holy Les Paul [scared]

namm2016-gibson-les-paul-wiring.jpg

[biggrin]

I like the Strat Sky burst - 1st saw this finish in the early 90s, very eye-catching.

Don't dig the silverburst, the LP 'rock' finish or the Firebird X - ugly, but I never played one.

And the blinged-up 'Coronet' SG is truly horrible.

But no-one has posted any 'Relic' finishes yet.......

But no-one has posted any 'Relic' finishes yet.......

I did! See the link in my earlier post to the £4000+ Fender Custom Shop Relic Strat at Guitar Guitar. They have a whole bunch of them that they left in the back garden of Fender Corps whilst a hurricane was passing through. Awful :blink: ...and what's more, they cost more than a mint condition new custom shop. It takes more time and effort to make them look so bad. Couldn't they just throw the guitars down a flight of stairs, then use it as a skateboard, drop it in the Atlantic Ocean with a tracking chip for a few weeks and then have it run over by the Fender delivery trucks on the way back to the factory just to get that 'genuine aged' look?! Baffling [confused]

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=160603298260003-382423

Archived