Gibson Brands Forums

Ugliest Expensive Guitars Ever?

sparquelito

To be fair...

First relic I ever saw was up in New York, just as they were coming out, which was...when they were coming out. Last century for sure.

It was a blonde Nocaster, from that time between Broadcaster and Telecaster, Fender on the headstock and nothing else. From a few feet from the counter you could see the wear on the edges of the neck and some black and some wear on the fingerboard, some paint missing on the body. Closer, you could see some corrosion on the bridge and the switch, and more nicks and dings in the paint. The tag said Custom Shop Nocaster "Relic" and it was some god awful 4000 dollars I think. I don't remember, only that it was just stupid money. Silly, says me to the Mrs, who immediately took that as a sure sign I have no idea what I'm talking about. "Have you ever played one of these?" she says, all demure and Mrs like. "Of course not" I scoff. Counter man takes it off the stand and hands it to me, I almost throw it over my shoulder it is that light, and I sit down on some amp and proceed to plonk at it.

Holy Mother of Crap that was a nice guitar and it sounded exactly like a Telecaster should, which is to say I would have to change the pickups right away if I was gigging it.

I absolutely loved it, but would not give anyone that kind of money unless it had genuine penciled CLF in the neck pocket. So there is more to those guitars than the paint job. Well, there was, and I assume still is. I played a couple at the factory a few years ago and they were just as delicious.

rct

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey rct,

As you say, I can imagine a lot of them play, sound and feel great and I don't dispute that. I also appreciate many people love the 'relic' effect and that's all good, but it's not for me. Like yourself I'd try them out and likely enjoy them very much, but I just couldn't live with the battered, rusty effect on a guitar that expensive. If it was only a few hundred perhaps I wouldn't mind so much, but paying thousands for a beat up finish? Hmm, not so sure about that personally.

I actually watched this video from Greg's Guitars the other day. He has an original '63 strat beat to hell! Sounds fantastic and I'm sure plays like a dream...but there are tears in my eyes when I see how badly it had been looked after. I can live with the odd ding, chip or scuff, but this is too much! I think I'd have to get a refinish if it was mine - but then it's no longer original [crying]

Amazing guitar nonetheless...

Holy Mother of Crap that was a nice guitar and it sounded exactly like a Telecaster should, which is to say I would have to change the pickups right away if I was gigging it.

[biggrin] Me too - for Noiseless ones. [thumbup]

I absolutely loved it, but would not give anyone that kind of money unless it had genuine penciled CLF in the neck pocket. So there is more to those guitars than the paint job. Well, there was, and I assume still is. I played a couple at the factory a few years ago and they were just as delicious.

rct

To be honest, I think that the "Relic" thing has nothing to do with it. They would sound just as nice when built to decent looks from the same materials. Referring to the topic tiltle, less ugly and less expensive the same time. :)

To be fair...

First relic I ever saw was up in New York, just as they were coming out, which was...when they were coming out. Last century for sure.

It was a blonde Nocaster, from that time between Broadcaster and Telecaster, Fender on the headstock and nothing else. From a few feet from the counter you could see the wear on the edges of the neck and some black and some wear on the fingerboard, some paint missing on the body. Closer, you could see some corrosion on the bridge and the switch, and more nicks and dings in the paint. The tag said Custom Shop Nocaster "Relic" and it was some god awful 4000 dollars I think. I don't remember, only that it was just stupid money. Silly, says me to the Mrs, who immediately took that as a sure sign I have no idea what I'm talking about. "Have you ever played one of these?" she says, all demure and Mrs like. "Of course not" I scoff. Counter man takes it off the stand and hands it to me, I almost throw it over my shoulder it is that light, and I sit down on some amp and proceed to plonk at it.

rct

You guys gotta hit me up if you're going to the Fender factory! I'm right around the corner in Orange County

This year we broke the trip in August, the fires close to Yellowstone were too risky, combined with the already planned closed roads, so we bagged it.

Last year, our darling Prudence passed. I know, she was just a cat, but it was a really bad time, and fortunately we cancelled the trip in good time. She passed suddenly while we would have been away.

So, change in plans, fall 2017.

South Jersey to San Francisco, down Pacific Coast, over to Death Valley, down to Disnyeland, over to Vegas for a couple, up to Yellowstone for a couple weeks.

So in Disneyland...2nd week of September. If good, dinner at Napa Rose at California Hotel? Bring money, way well worth it.

rct

This year we broke the trip in August, the fires close to Yellowstone were too risky, combined with the already planned closed roads, so we bagged it.

Last year, our darling Prudence passed. I know, she was just a cat, but it was a really bad time, and fortunately we cancelled the trip in good time. She passed suddenly while we would have been away.

So, change in plans, fall 2017.

South Jersey to San Francisco, down Pacific Coast, over to Death Valley, down to Disnyeland, over to Vegas for a couple, up to Yellowstone for a couple weeks.

So in Disneyland...2nd week of September. If good, dinner at Napa Rose at California Hotel? Bring money, way well worth it.

rct

Totally understand, I'm a fellow cat lover.

Yeah as long as I'm not intruding on your trip, it's a date!

k. We'll probably have actual dates in a couple weeks. The Yellowstone is most important, we've been in all seasons but the rut, and I want to record some elks knockin boots. So after I get those dates, maybe next week, we can go backwards to figure out the rest. Death Valley and Disneyland are the next two really hardcore reserves to get, and I'll get two nights for 4 at the Napa Rose, 7pm or so. It will be mid-week, we've made the Disneyland on weekend mistake, never again. It'll be a real Cali time for us, dinner at the Cali Hotel at Disneyland Cali, with a couple Calis, putting down some Cali bubbles because I will drive the elevator home. Good times indeed.

rct

• 2 weeks later...

Heaven Help Me but I actually find that Teye appealing (albeit in a rather strange way). Hmmm............and the bar's not open yet so I can't even blame the drink.

Slightly smaller 'pokerchip' would be more harmonious IMO but other than that I find it oddly attractive.

Must Visit Optician/Psychiatrist Soon...

Pip.

Can completely agree on the SilverBurst finish; one of the ugliest available, IMO.

On the Fender side; there are a lot of things I don't care for in regards to their finishes. Yes - they do some great guitars, but they've got some terrible lookers, too (IMO, again).

Personally I can't stand the arrogance behind their business decision to make damn-near everything from the Custom Shop range have the "relic'd" look. At least with Gibson you get a choice of Gloss, VOS, and varying degrees of Aged. Fender - nothing of the sort. Everything has been in a war zone and you must accept it as such.

Slightly off-topic rant = over.

Can completely agree on the SilverBurst finish; one of the ugliest available, IMO.

On the Fender side; there are a lot of things I don't care for in regards to their finishes. Yes - they do some great guitars, but they've got some terrible lookers, too (IMO, again).

Personally I can't stand the arrogance behind their business decision to make damn-near everything from the Custom Shop range have the "relic'd" look. At least with Gibson you get a choice of Gloss, VOS, and varying degrees of Aged. Fender - nothing of the sort. Everything has been in a war zone and you must accept it as such.

To my eyes Silverburst and also a Goldburst finish like with the Bill Kelliher signature guitars, Golden Axe Explorer and Halcyon Les Paul, can look nice.

On the other hand I don't like aged or relic'd stuff at all, same as boutique bling and steampunk guitars. I think if I got some for granted, I would have to have them sold - I don't believe I could accomplish that myself. :-k

...I thought that Teye was a Zematis, they really are expensive...

Andy's Guitars (or whatever it's called these days) had a Zemaitis in the window a year or so back and if memory serves it was over the £30k mark...

Genuine Zemaitis metal-top guitars are very rare and seldom come on to the market. Apparently fakes are relatively common.

According to the wiki entry;

"During his 39 years of production, Zemaitis had a policy of never making any two guitars the same, while at the same time limiting himself to the production of only ten guitars a year to ensure the quality of each individual model."

Pip.

Andy's Guitars (or whatever it's called these days) had a Zemaitis in the window a year or so back and if memory serves it was over the £30k mark...

Genuine Zemaitis metal-top guitars are very rare and seldom come on to the market. Apparently fakes are relatively common.

According to the wiki entry;

"During his 39 years of production, Zemaitis had a policy of never making any two guitars the same, while at the same time limiting himself to the production of only ten guitars a year to ensure the quality of each individual model."

Pip.

I'd love to - but never have and probably never will - play one, to see how they feel.

They did used to come up very occasionally in shops, like Alembics did - but I don't like the look - or the Teye, bringing it back to Sparq's post.

Right before I joined this forum I had a good go on a Travis Bean 1500 I think it was; you couldn't say it was beautiful but not ugly either, basically a big precision-machined ali billet with wood wings - completely flat board, heavier than any LP. Cold but very impressive.

These are solid aluminium:

http://liquidmetalguitars.com/

Slightly off-topic rant = not true at all. Your custom shop dealer is only getting relics in, they make far more than just relics.

rct

Yeah, but how come we both posted up the same image?! [omg] ?

BTW, Andertons have a bunch of Zematis ranging from £1,700 to £6,000

Well, they're different guitars but I'm sure you both know that.

The current company is run by Zemaitis' son and today's instruments (as per Anderton's range) are made in Japan.

Wiki once more;

"Since Zemaitis Sr.'s death in 2002, the Zemaitis family continued the guitar-building business in Tokyo, offering both high-end hand-built guitars, and a more affordable "Greco Zemaitis" line of guitars."

Pip.

Well, they're different guitars but I'm sure you both know that.

The current company is run by Zemaitis' son and today's instruments (as per Anderton's range) are made in Japan.

Wiki once more;

"Since Zemaitis Sr.'s death in 2002, the Zemaitis family continued the guitar-building business in Tokyo, offering both high-end hand-built guitars, and a more affordable "Greco Zemaitis" line of guitars."

Pip.

Ah... I didn't know that. I recall reading about Sr. but not the subsequent Japan manufacture. Thank you for that info (and the tact also :))

Archived