Gibson Brands Forums

Magnetized tip screwdriver

Pinch

Is it OK to use a screwdriver with a magnetized tip when tinkering with one's guitar (pickups, truss rod cover)? Apparently, my Phillips head screwdriver has decided to go magnetic without consulting me.

I'm guessing it won't magnetize the truss rod, but you learn something new everyday, so... ;)

Did your screwdriver become magnetized through strong magnetic fields or mechanical overstress? The latter makes it likely it may mar screw heads and therefore no longer be useful. Slipping off a screw head near a guitar finish or other parts may cause damage, too.

In case it's mechanically fine, I would say so: It might help your truss-rod cover screws holding at the screwdriver tip, not a real problem, rather an advantage. The brazen Gibson nut is neither magnetizable nor has it a Phillips head, so there's no reason to worry I think.

Pickup mounting or height adjustment screws also wouldn't trouble me. I would keep it away from pole screws though. Do you have any with Phillips heads? If not, there won't be any use in trying it anyway.

Hope this helps.

You mean truss rods aren't magnetizable?

No mechanical stress on the screwdriver, no. It just... decided to start holding on to the screws! Just thought I'd ask.

To my guess all truss-rods are made of ferromagnetic steels and thus magnetizable. But what size Phillips screwdriver allows for working on truss-rod nuts and pickup screws as well? [confused]

I think the ferromagnetism of your screwdriver is of fairly little field strength and holds a screw just strong enough, doesn't it? This would be not good for working on tape recorders for instance, but I doubt it will cause any trouble on guitars.

I meant the truss rod cover screws, not the nut. That wouldn't mess with the truss rod in any way? Guessing it won't, but thought I should ask the experts :)

No problem at all, it just makes removing and putting up the screws easier. [biggrin][thumbup]

A screwdriver that isn't magnetized drives me nuts. I keep my phillips in my kit with a magnet at the bottom of the screwdriver holder that continually recharges it. You can buy screw drivers with little magnets near the tip. Typically these have interchangeable bits. I really prefer screwdrivers that aren't interchangable bit style. I buy regular screwdrivers and charge them myself.

Keep magnets away from computers, memory storage devices and tvs but they won't hurt guitars.

Archived