Gibson Brands Forums

Amplifier?

Buc McMaster

I don't need it yet but I am researching amplifiers for acoustic guitar and vocal in the hope, perhaps prematurely, that I can get to the place where I need one. The Bose L1 Compact is nice but is a no frills rig unless the Tone Match engine is added. Fishman is about to release the new Solo, SA-330X which looks quite attractive. But I'm taking a hard look at the Loudbox Performer after plugging into one at the store while I was test driving the Dove............I was impressed. Seems I remember some folks here having experience with the Loudbox series of amps..........

What say ye? Any major demerits with this line of amps? And I'd really like this to be about this amp and not have one of those "you gotta try this one" things.......just the Fishman, please.

(ps.........the more I play this Dove the more I feel it kicks the Hummingbird's arse......in ALL respects!)

I don't need it yet but I am researching amplifiers for acoustic guitar and vocal in the hope, perhaps prematurely, that I can get to the place where I need one. The Bose L1 Compact is nice but is a no frills rig unless the Tone Match engine is added. Fishman is about to release the new Solo, SA-330X which looks quite attractive. But I'm taking a hard look at the Loudbox Performer after plugging into one at the store while I was test driving the Dove............I was impressed. Seems I remember some folks here having experience with the Loudbox series of amps..........

What say ye? Any major demerits with this line of amps? And I'd really like this to be about this amp and not have one of those "you gotta try this one" things.......just the Fishman, please.

(ps.........the more I play this Dove the more I feel it kicks the Hummingbird's arse......in ALL respects!)

No experience with your amp of possible choice, but find your guitar comparison interesting. With all the talk lately about both models, I've been pondering the old "if I had to choose" question. Fortunately, I don't, but hypothetically it's still creeping into mind from time to time. I have a feeling that the Dove would be the 'keeper', although the HB does me a lot of good, too. Both fit what I do, but there seem to be more nuances to the Dove. Maybe it's the maple? 😒

Sorry buc I've no experience with the loudbox , though I am interested in them . More interested in the soloamp , will have to see what price they are after for one , but maybe it'll drop the price of the old one on the second hand market which would be good .

I'm finding it hard to imagine how much use an amp would be , unless you are at the place where your audience are sitting down and hanging on your every note.

I'm certainly not there and am thinking that the average bar wouldn't suit an amp sitting on a table . Wouldn't the sound be a little lost amongst the people and chatter ?

I've seen the soloamp in action and it's extremely impressive due mainly to it being 'up high'

Will read people's experience here ....

I think you'd be better forking out for the the soloamp .

You can not go wrong with a Fishman product.

I owned a Loudbox Mini. Stellar and surprisingly loud. I now own an SA220 which has great sound and dispersion, plenty of bass (dont listen to nay sayers). Travelling with it is easy. Bag with wheels...

Eric Abaliso on AGF plays gigs with his Loudbox Performer. At least I think it is the Performer? It's plenty powerful. No wheels..... So work out a bit. Also you may want to raise it off the floor depending on where you playing...

Buc, I bought a Fishman Loudbox a few months back, after my 1st generation Bose cratered. I like it a lot. It's easy to operate and the sound is great.

Work just as well for your gigs Jim ?

Do you raise it up somehow ?

Amps seem great to me for cafes / coffee houses , but I've seen folk struggle with a clear sound in a busy bar and usually a PA is used ..

Not sure whether your gigs give any issues like i describe

(Sorry buc , am sticking my nose in on your thread , hope I'm not bothering , am just interested in your quest also)

Buc,

If I was looking to move up from what I have now (Acoustasonic 150) the Loudbox Performer is where I'd be going.

I friend of mine has one, and for about 70% of his gigs, this is what he takes. If he needs to get over crowd noise (like a pub gig) he then takes a small PA (a board and 2 powered speakers on stands.)

and Stu,, to get it up off the floor, he either uses a folding amp stand or a bar stool.

Work just as well for your gigs Jim ?

Do you raise it up somehow ?

Amps seem great to me for cafes / coffee houses , but I've seen folk struggle with a clear sound in a busy bar and usually a PA is used ..

Not sure whether your gigs give any issues like i describe

(Sorry buc , am sticking my nose in on your thread , hope I'm not bothering , am just interested in your quest also)

I bought the largest Loudbox ($700 range)and have used it only in coffee house settings. It works great! I do put it up on a table or stool to help get the sound out. Also, and this is important for me, it is very easy to understand and operate.

Okay, okay. Nothing negative about the Loudbox then.

Here's the thing...... I expect to become more involved in the local music scene here, re-establish some old contacts and see some folks I haven't seen in a long time. I have no idea what may come of this "networking", I think they call it these days. In trying to foresee possibilities I am thinking this way............

I hope to be offered (and able!) to do some openers for some friends that are out there doing it. In this case I may or may not need my own amplification. Some bands I know show up, set up and start their nights work straight away, expecting that an opener would finishing up their set as they walk in. In this case I'd be doing solo work under my own steam, so to speak, and if that's going to be the case I think I might like the new Fishman SA-330X. This unit is nearly identical to the previous SA-220 but with another 100W of power, coming available sometime in November. I once owned a 220 and it was very, very nice. Compact, powerful, lightweight and with great projection, being up off the floor at head level. Limited on-board effects, yes, but my style and what I do doesn't require anything more than a bit of reverb, if that even. It has 48V phantom power, attractive to me because of the microphone I have my eye on, the Edwina. As I have said before, clarity is the number one consideration for my ear in an acoustic guitar/vocal rig. The Fishman and the Edwina have this in spades.

In the other scenario, I am invited to join a working band as a rhythm guitarist and an additional voice, bringing some new material to the existing sets. In this case I don't think the Fishman/Edwina rig would be ideal. A working band will have a PA system for vocals. The pole mounted SA amp would be right in the ears of the rest of the band on stage and could be annoying for being so while all other amps are on the floor. The Edwina mic is a condenser and can be used well for close up vocal or guitar & vocal at some distance and could be a problem on stage with a drummer and bass player thumping away. I think something like the Loudbox would do much better in this situation but with something like the Shure SM58 as a mic.

So the decision is this: to buy a rig for solo sets with the possibility of working toward doing full nights, or buy a rig geared more toward being a sideman with a band. Hmmmm......

And Stu.......butt in all you like, my friend! [thumbup] I will say that most of the folks that go to a typical Texas joint are there to drink and chatter with their friends, usually as loudly as possible. Any performer is just background, just as well be a jukebox really. But such is the lot of a small time working musician.

And to the OldCowboy........ Indeed the Dove is cut above the Hummingbird, at least in these two specimens. Better low end, smooth highs that don't get jangly. And I am amazed that it plays better than the short scale HB! How is this possible?!? And this with a factory setup! I did flatten out the relief as I prefer just about "zero" in that regard. The action is higher than the HB and could come down a bit but it plays so nice as it is. Playability has always been number one for me in an acoustic guitar and this Dove is the best player I've ever grabbed ahold of...........

So the decision is this: to buy a rig for solo sets with the possibility of working toward doing full nights, or buy a rig geared more toward being a sideman with a band. Hmmmm......

I will say that most of the folks that go to a typical Texas joint are there to drink and chatter with their friends, usually as loudly as possible. Any performer is just background, just as well be a jukebox really. But such is the lot of a small time working musician.

Buc, over time, you may find that you want to do both. Solo and Sideman. I can easily see you doing either actually.

I have a small PA with power spkrs (so it works for a solo or duo setup.) This also lets me use my ear buds off the headphone feed to combat the crowd noise. What you mention in Texas is no different here in New England.

Okay, okay. Nothing negative about the Loudbox then. ...

It has 48V phantom power, attractive to me because of the microphone I have my eye on, the Edwina. As I have said before, clarity is the number one consideration for my ear in an acoustic guitar/vocal rig. The Fishman and the Edwina have this in spades. ...

Buc - I'm just heading down this path myself, albeit at a decidedly more amateur level. I really like the ETL mics. I believe Edwina is intended more for studio use. For live sound, look at Josephine or Myrtle. I bought Josephine and am very pleased with her, although only limited experience so far. My amp research was almost entirely online, since there's no opportunity around here to try them all in person. The Loudbox series has a very strong positive review from owners, with a few naysayers. No personal experience. That whole PA or Amp question is a bit of a conundrum. Bottom line seemed to be that there are lots of good choices. Have fun!

Archived