Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Pro?

rct

No cutaway, just something called a Hummingbird that is shaped like one and not much else. Friend is telling me jump on this, it is a great guitar, blah blah blah. I'm not a fan of Gibson necks so I'd have to have a look and try it out.

Suppose I liked it? What say you who know of these secrets of the Gibson world? In return I will explain to you the difference between all three of my mahogany bodied rosewood fretboarded humbucker'd Gibson eletrics, which is nothing.

rct

I've had mine for 3 years. Very pleased with it. The standard length scale gives a nice crispness and punch.

Just the right amount of bling and a good price.

Couldn't give a stuff that it's not a "real bird"

Had to get rid of the Rotomatics though, never liked the look or weight of them.

Hummingbird Specs: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Square-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Hummingbird/Specs.aspx

Hummingbird Pro Specs: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Square-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Hummingbird-Pro/Specs.aspx

short vs long scale...

Of the ones i have tried, the traditional Bird always seem drier and sweeter, and the Pro louder. I suspect, given your Martin leanings, you will like the pro better...

We can all get geeky... but I am pretty sure the Pro has the same bracing as the Gibson AJ. The traditional Bird has the same standard bracing as the J45. Can anyone confirm? If you find yourself liking the sound and long scale of the Pro, but the "traditional look" of the Bird or J45... make sure you check out the AJ! Mark Knopfler would endorse it...

We can all get geeky... but I am pretty sure the Pro has the same bracing as the Gibson AJ. The traditional Bird has the same standard bracing as the J45. Can anyone confirm? If you find yourself liking the sound and long scale of the Pro, but the "traditional look" of the Bird or J45... make sure you check out the AJ! Mark Knopfler would endorse it...

Good point. On the AGF the Martin boys regulary most like the AJ from the Gibson collection. Im not surprised, it has the volume and power they get from their D-28's, but also balance, note seperation, responsiveness and arguably a richer tonal shades than a D-28.

Id hate to think how you feel when you put on an Ovation.

Gigged one a long time! 'spensive one, Connecticut made, before all that import stuff. Great guitar, the proportions not bad at all. Put me behind a 335 or AJ and it looks like the old galvanized trash can lid in front of me.

rct

Gigged one a long time! 'spensive one, Connecticut made, before all that import stuff. Great guitar, the proportions not bad at all. Put me behind a 335 or AJ and it looks like the old galvanized trash can lid in front of me.

rct

You seem to have rather unusual taste. Firts time i ever heard a comment like that, but hey, in 2016 nothing surprises me ...

You seem to have rather unusual taste. Firts time i ever heard a comment like that, but hey, in 2016 nothing surprises me ...

Tele, Strat, Les Paul in front of me, most of the night, most of my life. I'm not a midget, but I'm not a giant. My Explorer is a tad big on me but I muddle through. The Custom Legend Ovation had good curves, not too big in the back end, unlike the 335 for example, and the Jumbos that Gibson makes. They look enormous on me. Mrs has decided these things since before 1980, so I go with it.

I love the sounds that come out of AJs, I really do. But I think a whole set with one on would hurt sooner rather than later. I've recently lifted my straps one notch up to account for aging wrists, so something that big would look even dumber on me. I think. I'm not a big fan of dreads either, and my M-36 is a bit girthy in the back end, but I do enjoy playing that thing.

rct

Tele, Strat, Les Paul in front of me, most of the night, most of my life. I'm not a midget, but I'm not a giant. My Explorer is a tad big on me but I muddle through. The Custom Legend Ovation had good curves, not too big in the back end, unlike the 335 for example, and the Jumbos that Gibson makes. They look enormous on me. Mrs has decided these things since before 1980, so I go with it.

I love the sounds that come out of AJs, I really do. But I think a whole set with one on would hurt sooner rather than later. I've recently lifted my straps one notch up to account for aging wrists, so something that big would look even dumber on me. I think. I'm not a big fan of dreads either, and my M-36 is a bit girthy in the back end, but I do enjoy playing that thing.

rct

So i guess the J-150 that i play, pretty low down wold not be an option for you. (see pics in other thread)

But you know the AJ is no different in size than a J-45, D-28 or other dreadnoughts, just long scale, and infact due to the slope shoulder looks smaller than a D-28.

Do you feel comfortable with the size of a D-28 ?

So i guess the J-150 that i play, pretty low down wold not be an option for you. (see pics in other thread)

But you know the AJ is no different in size than a J-45, D-28 or other dreadnoughts, just long scale, and infact due to the slope shoulder looks smaller than a D-28.

Yes, sitting down and relaxed, yes. Not great on my feet for the most part. M(0000) is a bit thinner and the curves hit my right arm at the right spot, same as my 000, dread a little squatter and the curve is off for me. I would like some D-35 in my life.

rct

Tele, Strat, Les Paul in front of me, most of the night, most of my life. I'm not a midget, but I'm not a giant.

DO IT! I'm not even a full 5' 7"... about 160ish.. you probably got a few inches on me.

imagine one diminutive as me with a SJ200??

I think you'll be fine w/a full size dread I've had one (a yari / just like a D28) for a hunnerd years.. it fits me ok.

And while The J is big I manage.. it's a freakin canon.. so I deal with the other stuff.

neck wise, not a real big issue, My Taylor allows me a little more freedom for alternate tuning shenanigans, but not so much so where I'm not comfortable on the SJ if I use that.

not sure how the necks match up with the two (A j and a bird) for all I know could be like night n day.

DO IT! I'm not even a full 5' 7"... about 160ish.. you probably got a few inches on me.

imagine one diminutive as me with a SJ200??

I think you'll be fine w/a full size dread I've had one (a yari / just like a D28) for a hunnerd years.. it fits me ok.

And while The J is big I manage.. it's a freakin canon.. so I deal with the other stuff.

neck wise, not a real big issue, My Taylor allows me a little more freedom for alternate tuning shenanigans, but not so much so where I'm not comfortable on the SJ if I use that.

not sure how the necks match up with the two (A j and a bird) for all I know could be like night n day.

Yeah, that last bit there. I don't know if I've just encountered mostly not well set up store guitars or if Gibson acoustic necks are really that difficult. Certainly all of my life I've enjoyed the electrics I've used, can't be that bad, right?

It is probably more a matter of me getting used to walking around with something that size is all. I've avoided it so far, does't mean I have to keep avoiding it. You aren't getting any younger you know.

rct

I don't know if I've just encountered mostly not well set up store guitars or if Gibson acoustic necks are really that difficult.

rct

They do arrive a bit high on the setup, no denying that. more like 7/64s B 5/64s T.. so go in to this expecting to have to get that addressed.

Can you get some where to test drive one?

They do arrive a bit high on the setup, no denying that. more like 7/64s B 5/64s T.. so go in to this expecting to have to get that addressed.

Can you get some where to test drive one?

Not a Gibson acoustic to be had in the local Guitar Center, which is the only game in town. 50 miles to the next one and a Sam Ash.

rct

Sounds like, although you're frame of reference is 'electrics', you've owned and played acoustics. So, if you are looking for a Gibson, but don't want a dread, you may have to go further than 50 miles. The most frequently found Gibsons will not be small bodies. You realize, of course, that you can get your local Guitar Center to have a Gibson sent to them, you take it home and if you don't like it, you can return it? Look at their "Used" guitars online and find a nice one and have it sent to your local GC. When you pick it up, if your local GC has a guitar tech, you can ask him to measure the action to make sure it's within spec before you 'accept delivery'. G'Luck.

This is what I was thinking as well. As someone who owns an AJ and J45, it's not a massive difference. But man, as much as I like the J45's big bottom end, the AJ is just plain LOUD and clear. Two totally different guitars for sure. The AJ's also usually have a pretty thin neck, which can be a major turn off for someone who prefers a chunky neck.

Archived