Gibson Brands Forums

Rivet Pickups

Rabs

Rivet head pickups: This is based on the premise that your existing pickups are out of balance. Who is this true for?

I only ever had 1 guitar that had a quiet string (bottom E) it was a very cheap Charvette. This rivet head idea would not even put that right because it would affect more than that one string.

Noggin rockers: I can’t envisage any practical use for this at all. Sorry Rabs. I must be in a poor mood today :huh:

Rivet head pickups: This is based on the premise that your existing pickups are out of balance. Who is this true for?

I only ever had 1 guitar that had a quiet string (bottom E) it was a very cheap Charvette. This rivet head idea would not even put that right because it would affect more than that one string.

Noggin rockers: I can’t envisage any practical use for this at all. Sorry Rabs. I must be in a poor mood today :huh:

Oh don't get me wrong.. I just thought they were interesting...

Ive never swapped my pickups out.. But being a builder I may try them out one day, if not too stupidly expensive in fact if they are trying to charge silly amounts just cos its different, I would never buy one at all..

And the other thing.. I just though the fact that it needs no power supply was a cool idea... but wouldn't buy one of those either..

I just thought they were both interesting.

I think the pickup idea is cool - a way to add treble or bass by adding a mini coil? Maybe not needed by a lot of us, but it's a brilliant idea nonetheless. I could see it being a plus in a dark sounding guitar particularly.

Even better would be if the mini coil had a separate output. Bi-amping revolutionized the bass guitar - why not apply it to the 6 string? Imagine having a separate amp just for your top three strings - or bottom three strings. That would add a lot of control over your sound.

It will never catch on of course. Like the true-tempered fret idea... anything that looks like it doesn't belong on a vintage guitar will meet with massive resistance from guitar players no matter how great it sounds. We are a traditional lot for sure.

I think the pickup idea is cool - a way to add treble or bass by adding a mini coil? Maybe not needed by a lot of us, but it's a brilliant idea nonetheless. I could see it being a plus in a dark sounding guitar particularly.

Even better would be if the mini coil had a separate output. Bi-amping revolutionized the bass guitar - why not apply it to the 6 string? Imagine having a separate amp just for your top three strings - or bottom three strings. That would add a lot of control over your sound.

It will never catch on of course. Like the true-tempered fret idea... anything that looks like it doesn't belong on a vintage guitar will meet with massive resistance from guitar players no matter how great it sounds. We are a traditional lot for sure.

To be honest the reason I'm not interested in the pickups is that I can't be bothered with a whole mess of different switching options on a guitar when nobody in the audience is going to notice a difference.

If I want more treble I use the bridge pickup, more bass I use the neck pickup. I'm also big on using the tone and volume controls. I do feel like a Luddite saying all this but in the video I didn't hear any difference that made me say "WOW".

I would be interested in trying those frets though. I do really like perfect intonation. Haven't seen them on anything in stores though

To be honest the reason I'm not interested in the pickups is that I can't be bothered with a whole mess of different switching options on a guitar when nobody in the audience is going to notice a difference.

If I want more treble I use the bridge pickup, more bass I use the neck pickup. I'm also big on using the tone and volume controls. I do feel like a Luddite saying all this but in the video I didn't hear any difference that made me say "WOW".

I would be interested in trying those frets though. I do really like perfect intonation. Haven't seen them on anything in stores though

I agree for the most part. The video did not impress me. I'm content with traditional pickup design as well. But I can also visualize the potential of this idea. The fact that a 50s Strat or Tele and a 59 Les Paul are our ideals is, I think, indicative of how stuck in the past we are as far as our preferences. Mind you this is coming from a guy who love his old tube amps. :rolleyes:

Archived