Gibson Brands Forums

Something fishy with this ebay gibson J-45

flatbaroque

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1965-GIBSON-J45-Custom-Shop-2014-mint-condition-luxury-hard-shell-/252593718663?hash=item3acfc24587:g:CdAAAOSwzaJYB5RE

Saw this on Aussie ebay.When I first noticed the highest bid was $5.00.I saw it was only a 3 day auction with no reserve.Next time I looked the highest bid was $1200- fair enough.

I sent the seller a question "Hey mate nice guitar, might be interested.How come only a 3 day auction for such an expensive guitar?" No response as expected.

Next time I looked all the bids had been retracted.Highest bid is 99c. haha.

What's the story??

I think the 99c bid might be from Em7..the Donovan tragic!If I can get it for $1.50 I can live with the adjustable bridge. [biggrin]

Most curious, this eBay ad for such a quality Gibson guitar!

I have never dealt with eBay.

Does the seller not set a fixed price?

Or is it open bidding, and the buyers set the price?

And if so, does the seller have to live with the final outcome?

Forgive my ignorance on these matters.

:unsure:

Definitely smells of scamfish. 1) zero eBay feedback. 2) struggle w/ English grammar 2) mix and match capitalization 3) use of the word "item" to refer to the guitar. Interesting how this would work : first purchase on eBay, then pick up?

Nice looking item, though.

Those could've been shill bids, used to stimulate interest & to drive the price.

The weak "too busy at work to play it" reason for sale is also a classic Craigslist line, as well.

But if you make a shill bid..why retract?Doesn't make sense as a scammimng technique.It would only engender doubts in real bidders.Maybe I'm not understanding.

Most curious, this eBay ad for such a quality Gibson guitar!

Forgive my ignorance on these matters.

:unsure:

Haven't done anything with ebay for about 15 years, but at that time the seller could post a reserve/reject low bids😒

No, it's an auction. They set the opening bid, but the price it goes for depends on the bidders. Usually, ebay is big enough that a fairly reasonable price results.

Yeah, open bidding, high bid wins. A seller CAN set a "reserve" price - in which case the bidding has to exceed the reserve, otherwise there's no sale. There's no reserve on this auction though.

Theoretically. And legally, yes. The seller agrees to sell to the highest bidder. It's a contract. I've had a guy back out before though. And there's no real recourse (well, the money was returned). In that case, the guy had zero feedback, just like this guy, and he had just joined ebay, just like this guy. Unless a seller has a number of prior sales with good feedback, there's a risk the seller will back out.

A couple of problems with this auction - the guy says the guitar is brand new. It's used. It's apparently in good shape though.

It sounds like the guy is not prepared to pack and ship the guitar, even within Oz. He says "As you can see I am new to eBay I would like to sell this item and hoping to be Purchased for Pickup unless any Winning Buyer happy to arrange own Courier Pickup or cover the Shipping cost."

I would ask the seller a lot of questions, including whether he's really committed to sell the guitar for the final bid, whatever that is. And ask about shipping, etc., etc. It's possible you could get a nice J45 at a great price.

OMG, I didn't see that "Aria" thing, haha.

No, it's an auction. They set the opening bid, but the price it goes for depends on the bidders. Usually, ebay is big enough that a fairly reasonable price results.

Yeah, open bidding, high bid wins. A seller CAN set a "reserve" price - in which case the bidding has to exceed the reserve, otherwise there's no sale. There's no reserve on this auction though.

Theoretically. And legally, yes. The seller agrees to sell to the highest bidder. It's a contract. I've had a guy back out before though. And there's no real recourse (well, the money was returned). In that case, the guy had zero feedback, just like this guy, and he had just joined ebay, just like this guy. Unless a seller has a number of prior sales with good feedback, there's a risk the seller will back out.

A couple of problems with this auction - the guy says the guitar is brand new. It's used. It's apparently in good shape though.

It sounds like the guy is not prepared to pack and ship the guitar, even within Oz. He says "As you can see I am new to eBay I would like to sell this item and hoping to be Purchased for Pickup unless any Winning Buyer happy to arrange own Courier Pickup or cover the Shipping cost."

I would ask the seller a lot of questions, including whether he's really committed to sell the guitar for the final bid, whatever that is. And ask about shipping, etc., etc. It's possible you could get a nice J45 at a great price.

OMG, I didn't see that "Aria" thing, haha.

To me, that Aria tidbit is the Kiss of Death for that auction😘

But if you make a shill bid..why retract?Doesn't make sense as a scammimng technique.It would only engender doubts in real bidders.Maybe I'm not understanding.

If shill bid is not retracted, eBay/PayPal will still want their 13%.

Despite all appearances to the contrary, note that the brand indication is Aria😯

. . . Hilarious. Fine Print Award goes to Old Cowboy.

And I think we're done here.

Anyone who has such an item on eBay and doesn't reply shouldn't be trusted

Always chat to an eBay seller before bidding

I agree.Always alarm bells when questions are ignored.

The Aria thing is just a glitch in the initial post i think..probably some default setting.Often I've seen mistakes in that first small ebay description.Guitars are often described as left handed when they are not.In my question to the seller I also bought up the aria and "brand new".As stated before - no response.

That has got some kind of groove going on! Guitar tone was much too thin.... Bass, drums, sax, all hot players.

You're absolutely right - was goin' to mention it, but forgot. This is not the 1964 cherry 45 seen reproduced in this thread.

More likely it's the Rickenbacker or some other electric unplugged before a mic.

Still I think the sparse acoustic sound fits the naked sonic picture well.

A fat 45 would have been too much, , or would have changed the transparency to something else, , , more conventional.

Watched the J45 in Australia. It went for 1800 Aussie dollars that's about £1120 or $1370. I did ask if there was a buy it now price and got a reply of 750. So was it genuine? It certainly went at fairly reasonable price in the end. It would maybe have made a couple of hundred more in the UK.

Yea $1800AUS was cheap for a guitar of that description / uniqueness (if legit).Normally I'd expect it to go for at least $2200AUS. I would have bid but the seller didn't answer either of the two questions I asked at separate times.I'm surprised Mickthemiller got a response.Even if I had got an answer and felt confident enough to bid I was only going to go $1600AUS..so I wouldn't have won anyway.

Archived