Gibson Brands Forums

I Think I'm In Love

darling67

Not sure I caught the gist of your response, cap! Are you not impressed by this SG? :-k

When I have the choice, I usually go with transparent or translucent finishes, chrome-plated hardware, and Speed Knobs or Witchhat Knobs. I replace all other sorts of knobs used by Gibson with Speed Knobs in an instant. Moreover, I replace the stop bars with TP-6 finetuning tailpieces if applicable.

But there's no offence intended, this is just me and most of my guitars. [rolleyes]

When I have the choice, I usually go with transparent or translucent finishes, chrome-plated hardware, and Speed Knobs or Witchhat Knobs. I replace all other sorts of knobs used by Gibson with Speed Knobs in an instant. Moreover, I replace the stop bars with TP-6 finetuning tailpieces if applicable.

But there's no offence intended, this is just me and most of my guitars. [rolleyes]

Oh, no offense suspected in the least. I just wasn't sure what you meant by what you said. But ok, now I get it…

Yes, the only other guitar I've ever owned with gold hardware was a Les Paul Custom. Other than that, I've been all-chrome. Gold hardware tends to "rub off" and look worn in time. I could live with that, though. As for finishes, I have always preferred the more "classic" ones (depending on the guitar)—cherry, white/off-white, natural, bursts, etc. I am not one to get too "colorful" with my guitars. [wink]

When it comes to knobs, I have only replaced the knobs on a guitar once: on my Les Paul Studio Deluxe II. I switched-out the black "hat" knobs for gold "speed" knobs.

At any rate, I'll need to save-up a bit for one of these. Even with my discount, it would still be an "expense".

Oh, no offense suspected in the least. I just wasn't sure what you meant by what you said. But ok, now I get it…

Yes, the only other guitar I've ever owned with gold hardware was a Les Paul Custom. Other than that, I've been all-chrome. Gold hardware tends to "rub off" and look worn in time. I could live with that, though. As for finishes, I have always preferred the more "classic" ones (depending on the guitar)—cherry, white/off-white, natural, bursts, etc. I am not one to get too "colorful" with my guitars. [wink]

When it comes to knobs, I have only replaced the knobs on a guitar once: on my Les Paul Studio Deluxe II. I switched-out the black "hat" knobs for gold "speed" knobs.

At any rate, I'll need to save-up a bit for one of these. Even with my discount, it would still be an "expense".

Besides an old black set-neck Les Paul copy that lost her gold quite fast, except for the microphonic pickups that I quickly replaced with a then only open-coil available DiMarzio PAF (neck) and Seymour Duncan SH-5 Duncan Custom (bridge), my 2014 Ibanez AR720 is the only guitar with gold hardware I own. Looks still nice, but it will only be a matter of time I guess.

The two Les Paul guitars of mine with nickel hardware, a 2012 Gibson Custom and a 2013 Epiphone, look quite tarnished. The nickel plating was aging faster from the start than the chrome-plated strings I play! :blink: But anyway, I think hardware tarnish isn't audible. [biggrin]

On the other hand there are three quite colourful ones among my few solid-coloured guitars. I have a 1986 Ibanez RG430 only available in Pearl Red then, and MIM Floyd Rose Strats in Candy Apple Red and Lake Placid Blue. There were only few options for FR Strats then and even less now, I didn't want a black, white or silver one, and also no finish twice. I have four of these, all HSS stock and modded with different Noiseless and Noiseless/piezo combinations.

My Worn Ebony SG Bass has been a real bargain, and there were no options as well for my black Fender Nashville Power Telecaster. She was a single item on sale then. This model is with two more in 2-Tone Sunburst a rare case of twice the same finish in my arsenal, but there are two more pairs - each two Frank Zappa "Roxy" SGs in Cherry Vintage Gloss and EB 2013 Basses modded with pairs of EMG TB-HZs in Natural Vintage Gloss. In the latter case I simply didn't like the other finish options. One is strung with roundwounds, the other with flatwounds - that's why I own two -, so I don't change them by mistake anyway. Funny, but just that happened to me the first time ever tonight with my FZ "Roxy" SGs in the subdued light of my room! I realised it not before I put her back on the shelf thinking she was the other one. #-o

When about pot knobs, I like to get a good grip, and this is vital in particular for pulling pot switches with a flatpick in my hand. The looks of Top Hat or Reflector Knobs don't bother me at all, I just feel they are unhandy for use during playing, and this is what counts for me.

Beautiful SG.

Just a thought - with black or white finishes I prefer ebony fretboards (these days Gibson is using Richlite, even on customs). This used to be the way white LPs and even the white LP studios were built and I'd like to see it on white SGs.

Beautiful SG.

Just a thought - with black or white finishes I prefer ebony fretboards (these days Gibson is using Richlite, even on customs). This used to be the way white LPs and even the white LP studios were built and I'd like to see it on white SGs.

Good point. [thumbup] Richlite looks nice on my Antique Natural SG Supra, too. The neck binding is zinc white, and they even finished the neck separately without the antique dye.

Beautiful SG.

This one appears to have a rosewood fretboard. I'm down with that.

Yes, I know. That's what I was addressing - I'd rather it came with ebony or richlite as I prefer the look of the dark/black fretboard with that finish.

Ah. I don't think I've ever had a guitar with an ebony fretboard. It's been all-rosewood for me, save for a few years in the mid-late '80s where I had a maple Strat.

I like the looks of it a lot, I wasn't sure about gold hardware and white paint job, but it is a really classy looking combination.

I've owned several guitars with gold hardware, and what I've found is that if I wipe them down right after I play (just a plain cloth to get the sweat off), the plating lasts much longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived