Gibson Brands Forums

Dylan's Latter-Day Stagecraft

Mojorule

Just been watching live footage of the laureate and remembering that his brilliance works in many ways.

Want to take God down a peg or two? Just play along with his solos as if you're practising at home:

Takes even less to make Mick and Keef look comical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCC4VkGvs1U

Sheer genius of an order that gets forgotten because of the words and music.

I'm a Dylan fan, but only of a small fraction of his large body of work. Most of his songs are droning rambling disjointed poems. The singing ain't great and the harp playing awful, but he's one of those artist/enigmas you forgive those aspects to embrace the gems that float around in the soup.

It was worth waiting for the updated link, thx FB & Mojo. Not for the audio quality, but for Mojorule to make his point. Mick's style contrasting with Dylan's, Jagger wanting to get a good read where to jump in on this one; took 'til 4:43 to get a laugh out of Bob.

No, I don't listen to Dylan for his singing voice or harp playing. But his timing, that is, his ability to hang lyrics just before and after the beat. And how his music hits you.

I'm a Dylan fan, but only of a small fraction of his large body of work. Most of his songs are droning rambling disjointed poems. The singing ain't great and the harp playing awful, but he's one of those artist/enigmas you forgive those aspects to embrace the gems that float around in the soup.

Once you begin dissecting overmuch, it rather kills the experience. I don't disagree with your Dylan criticisms or have any inclination to argue. To me, if the singing was smooth, the harp polished, the guitar licks sublime, and the poetry tight and concise, it'd be a good listen, but it wouldn't be Dylan.

Dylan stays "Dylan." He's been critiqued forever, but he's more than "stood the test of time." In the midst of The Beatles, The Stones, The Beach Boys, The Byrds, Fleetwood Mac, Peter, Paul & Mary, Johnny Cash, Jimmy Hendrix, Janis, Neil Diamond, etc., there was this skinny little Jewish kid playing an acoustic guitar and sometimes with a harmonica rack around his neck.....and not only was he selling millions of records, most of the others were all singing his songs.

Dylan stays "Dylan." He's been critiqued forever, but he's more than "stood the test of time." In the midst of The Beatles, The Stones, The Beach Boys, The Byrds, Fleetwood Mac, Peter, Paul & Mary, Johnny Cash, Jimmy Hendrix, Janis, Neil Diamond, etc., there was this skinny little Jewish kid playing an acoustic guitar and sometimes with a harmonica rack around his neck.....and not only was he selling millions of records, most of the others were all singing his songs.

Amen, brother, amen.

When I worked in St. Paul, I knew people who could remember seeing Dylan get booed off coffeehouse stages in Minneapolis' West Bank.

Here's a thought: If Dylan came along today as a new artist, would the music industry and public accept him the way they did in the early '60s?

When I worked in St. Paul, I knew people who could remember seeing Dylan get booed off coffeehouse stages in Minneapolis' West Bank.

Here's a thought: If Dylan came along today as a new artist, would the music industry and public accept him the way they did in the early '60s?

If he was relevant today as he was then , then yes I think so

The world could do with someone now

If he was relevant today as he was then , then yes I think so

The world could do with someone now

I'd like to think that is true, but I think the few record companies that still exist would look at him and say, "He's not commercial."

Also, I would posit that we are so fractured and polarized as a society that it is impossible to be "relevant" on a widespread basis. Also, our attention spans are so much shorter now that what is relevant today will be considered unimportant by tomorrow.

I'm ready for a Dylanologist to show me the error of my ways, but I think if Dylan came along today, he'd get little traction in the music industry.

I'd like to think that is true, but I think the few record companies that still exist would look at him and say, "He's not commercial."

Also, I would posit that we are so fractured and polarized as a society that it is impossible to be "relevant" on a widespread basis. Also, our attention spans are so much shorter now that what is relevant today will be considered unimportant by tomorrow.

I'm ready for a Dylanologist to show me the error of my ways, but I think if Dylan came along today, he'd get little traction in the music industry.

I don't think we can forward-shift the situation in the early 60's up to 2000andnow.

Back then there was a much simpler story-line, which around 1962-64 was about to break down a wall and step further into the next room.

That force itself and the artists within it succeeded massively because a synchronized audience with curious antennas was ready to receive.

Today everything is so plural that it's almost impossible to create a movement - even among the young segment.

Generally the circumstances for starting a linear story, that lasts and develops over years, is over.

Everything now is atomized in fragments and in that cultural as mental environment we - and not least the youngsters - struggle not to get lost.

Some would call it utter disorientation - others would yell, Yeeeei, confetti, I am free !

I say we exist in an undertoneless reality, where the only common password is growth. Now growth is ok, but has to have it's counterpoint. Fx a new Dylanesq figure.

This actually could happen - for as we know, times change.

But the emerging person who should roll up such a wave must remember 2 things before he or she starts singing : He has to know his song well, ,

, , , and there must be a parallel, , , an answer to Blowing in The Wind to create momentum.

Hard to compare the 50's-60's recording industry with now. So much of the "sound" was new back then and an artist who was unique in an "age of uniqueness" could stand-out and make his/her own way. Today, I think it's become far too commercialized and geared only toward immediate profit. Back then, raw and unpolished talent had the chance to shine. I tend to doubt that today artists like Dylan, Cash, and Elvis could even get an appointment with a recording executive. Times were different then. It was "their" time and they made the most of it. Cash actually sat on the curb outside of Sun Studios and bugged Sam Phillips for over two weeks for a chance to record. Today, he'd be arrested. For me there's a tremendous difference between raw and unpolished talent and talent that is artificially enhanced. I think there's a lot of raw talent out there today, but it's all "spit and polished" before we get to hear it. If not for something like YouTube, we'd rarely, if ever, hear it.

Today, I could see some recording engineer using Auto-Tune on Dylan or Cash. If Dylan or Cash even managed to get into the recording studio, that is....

Seriously, though, where are the great young artists today who have less-than-perfect voices but write and sing great songs? We've seen in country music (or at least what passes for "country" these days) that recording executives will go with a face before they go with a voice.

Today, I could see some recording engineer using Auto-Tune on Dylan or Cash. If Dylan or Cash even managed to get into the recording studio, that is....

Seriously, though, where are the great young artists today who have less-than-perfect voices but write and sing great songs? We've seen in country music (or at least what passes for "country" these days) that recording executives will go with a face before they go with a voice.

Very Interesting question. I think the answer is no. - 'the times have changed' and we can't go back. There will never be a phenomenon equivalent to Sinatra, Elvis.... and yes, Dylan, They were comets. Today's 'shooting stars' have no staying power. They fall to earth, burned out. An 'equivalent talent' would certainly be mishandled by the industry. . Popular Music today is too homogenized, and it is because the market - the young with the $$ - is homogenized. In the post war years, those who were buying 'records', were looking for different things than today. Today, we certainly do have singer/songwriters putting out stuff as insightful and though-provoking as Dylan did. But they will never receive mainstream, commercial popular success. Dylan came on the scene at the juncture of a 'Perfect Storm'. Today, we have more of a "sea change", barely noticeable to the Bieber/Timberlake/GaGa crowd who don't demand much for their entertainment dollar.

That's my 'long answer'. My 'short answer' is - Barbara Streisand.

Very Interesting question. I think the answer is no. - 'the times have changed' and we can't go back. There will never be a phenomenon equivalent to Sinatra, Elvis.... and yes, Dylan, They were comets. Today's 'shooting stars' have no staying power. They fall to earth, burned out. An 'equivalent talent' would certainly be mishandled by the industry. . Popular Music today is too homogenized, and it is because the market - the young with the $$ - is homogenized. In the post war years, those who were buying 'records', were looking for different things than today. Today, we certainly do have singer/songwriters putting out stuff as insightful and though-provoking as Dylan did. But they will never receive mainstream, commercial popular success. Dylan came on the scene at the juncture of a 'Perfect Storm'. Today, we have more of a "sea change", barely noticeable to the Bieber/Timberlake/GaGa crowd who don't demand much for their entertainment dollar.

That's my 'long answer'. My 'short answer' is - Barbara Streisand.

Agreed. To that end, here's this: http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/sturgill-simpsons-out-to-prove-he-can-be-the-biggest-artist-in-country-without-the-industry/

I enjoyed this thread.My vote is a "No" as far as "will there be another etc"

A rare talent at a confluence of unique shifts and events.

Been plenty of playwrights in the 400 years since Shakespeare but the descriptor that is most common is still "Shakespearean".

I think "Dylanesque" will be around for a while too.

I enjoyed this thread.My vote is a "No" as far as "will there be another etc"

A rare talent at a confluence of unique shifts and events.

Been plenty of playwrights in the 400 years since Shakespeare but the descriptor that is most common is still "Shakespearean".

I think "Dylanesque" will be around for a while too.

Agreed! It's difficult to beat either Willie or Bobby😄

Archived