Gibson Brands Forums

My first ever cover song

Lars68

Friends, I just finished my first forum effort with a cover song. Several of you have suggested I practice my singing by doing a cover of a song I know very well. So I set out to find a song that could fill a couple of criteria I set up:

- I need to be very, very, VERY familiar with the song

- It needs to be incredibly easy to strum, so I can focus on the singing

- It needs to have a simple chord structure, again so I can concentrate on singing

- No challenging vocal highs or lows.

- The more repetetive the better

- I must love the original version

- Preferably not common as an acoustic cover

After some thinking and searching, I came up with The Hand that Rocks the Cradle by The Smiths. The original is one of my favorite songs, although it is quite a strange one. There are only three chords, which repeat in the same monotenous, almost drone like pattern. The melody is simple, and has that gloomy, eerie feel I love. The lyrics read like a poem and are very beautiful, but the subject is scary to say the least. It almost made me drop it. The lyrics are of course open to interpretation, but I'm pretty sure of the subject matter...not for everyone...

I can hear that I make mistakes (so many words!), but I feel there are a few sections, which are better than I have ever managed before...I hope...

Here are the lyrics:

"The Hand That Rocks The Cradle"

Please don't cry

For the ghost and the storm outside

Will not invade this sacred shrine

Nor infiltrate your mind

My life down I shall lie

If the bogey-man should try

To play tricks on your sacred mind

To tease, torment, and tantalise

Wavering shadows loom

A piano plays in an empty room

There'll be blood on the cleaver tonight

And when darknesss lifts and the room is bright

I'll still be by your side

For you are all that matters

And I'll love you to till the day I die

There never need be longing in your eyes

Ceiling shadows shimmy by

And when the wardrobe towers like a beast of prey

There's sadness in your beautiful eyes

Oh, your untouched, unsoiled, wonderous eyes

My life down I shall lie

Should restless spirits try

To play tricks on your sacred mind

I once had a child, and it saved my life

And I never even asked his name

I just looked into his wondrous eyes

And said: "never never never again"

And all too soon I did return

Just like a moth to a flame

So rattle my bones all over the stones

I'm only a beggar-man whom nobody owns

Oh, see how words as old as sin

Fit me like a glove

I'm here and here I'll stay

Together we lie, together we pray

There never need be longing in your eyes

As long as the hand that rocks the cradle is mine

As long as the hand that rocks the cradle is mine

Mine

Climb up on my knee, sonny boy

Although you're only three, sonny boy

And your mother she just never knew

Oh, your mother...

My very humble version:

The original:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FkwDcSV2Qdw

Not giving up. Baby steps.

Lars

Edit as per request: Recorded with an iPad and an Apogee Mic, guirar and voice at once, on one track. Hints of reverb added.

Yeah mate, never give up - it's a fun pass time after all.

I enjoyed your original song more than that one, but agree it is a good idea to test vocal on cover songs because you can compare and find your strengths and things to work on.

Rock on!

Good job on this, Lars. I think this is the first time I've heard you stretch-out your vocal range. Judging by this song, I imagine you can go quite-a-bit further with it too. You CAN "carry a tune." Don't think you can't. I'm guessing that singing your own songs kind of kept you in a rut as far as your vocals go. Nothing wrong with writing your own songs (I do a lot of it), but without being aware of it we start singing in a vocal range that is very comfortable for us and we don't challenge ourselves to "sing out." This is not a critique of the songs you have written. All I'm saying is be aware of using very similar melodies for "our" songs. Even 2-3-4 chord songs don't have to sound similar. There are countless melodies you can use within those chords. The more melodies you have, the more vocal changes you will have. .......Good job! [thumbup][thumbup]

Thanks for the feedback friends. I'm glad to hear you think I'm improving. I love The Smiths and the old Mozzer. The original version is a great song, even though the lyrics are almost scary and utterly disturbing.

I found it interesting to try and turn a Smiths song in to an acoustic folk song. I enjoyed it.

I think my perception of the music and my hearing is getting better. I tried a few of my own original songs last night and I feel they are also moving forward as far as the singing.

Lars

Im a huge Smiths fan also and initially thought 'oh dear' when i started reading you were going to do a Smiths tune, as Morrissey is so specific with his phrasing and delivery that its a real trick to cover it. But, i thought you did real well. As Larry said, you can carry a tune Lars, it was largely in tune and thats a huge victory, really. Also as Larry mentioned, i reckon you can go deeper and harder and i could hear you were holding back confidence wise, but could also imagine you giving it more so that emotion of despair, anxiety that Morrissey so well conveys can be captured.

But thats great Lars, Im also working on Stop Me if Youve Heard This One Before, quite enjoy trying to get my head around Smiths songs and Morrisseys phrasing style.

Keep going .. [thumbup]

Im a huge Smiths fan also and initially thought 'oh dear' when i started reading you were going to do a Smiths tune, as Morrissey is so specific with his phrasing and delivery that its a real trick to cover it. But, i thought you did real well. As Larry said, you can carry a tune Lars, it was largely in tune and thats a huge victory, really. Also as Larry mentioned, i reckon you can go deeper and harder and i could hear you were holding back confidence wise, but could also imagine you giving it more so that emotion of despair, anxiety that Morrissey so well conveys can be captured.

But thats great Lars, Im also working on Stop Me if Youve Hard This One Before, quite enjoy trying to get my head around Smiths songs and Morrisseys phrasing style.

Keep going .. [thumbup]

Thanks so much! I read an interview with Johhny Marr who wrote the music of The Smiths. He said that he was always surprised when Morrissey came back with added lyrics and vocal melody. He frequently put the chorus where Marr planned for the verse and vice versa. No rules applied. It is kind of evident in the song I do as well. The lyrics and melody twist and turn around the same three chord pattern. I was worried it would sound too repetetive and boring with only my acoustic, but I think it worked ok.

I'm looking forward to your version of The Smiths!

Lars

In my book Morrissey / Marr are right up there with Page / Plant, Keef / Mick as absolute masters in songwriting between a vocalist and guitarist. Ive never really been into lyrics, melody usually grabs me, but Morrissey was the first artist that literally forced me to take note of his lyrics. Johnny Marr's jingle / jangle playing style which has been copied so many times since gave the melody a happy feel, which contrasted so much with Morrisseys often disturbing lyrics.

They literally were able to make you dance around in joy to a song about committing suicide and depression. Genius !

Thanks so much! I read an interview with Johhny Marr who wrote the music of The Smiths. He said that he was always surprised when Morrissey came back with added lyrics and vocal melody. He frequently put the chorus where Marr planned for the verse and vice versa. No rules applied. It is kind of evident in the song I do as well. The lyrics and melody twist and turn around the same three chord pattern. I was worried it would sound too repetetive and boring with only my acoustic, but I think it worked ok.

I'm looking forward to your version of The Smiths!

Lars

In my book Morrissey / Marr are right up there with Page / Plant, Keef / Mick as absolute masters in songwriting between a vocalist and guitarist.

I could not agree more, EA. I'm not so sure many on the forum are familiar with The Smiths, but they are worth a listen. Pure genius!

I listened to my own song again this morning, and I am actually very pleased with it. I sometimes wonder why I get attracted to a song, if I hear it on the radio for example. Often the answer is that it captures a certain, feel or mood very well. In this regard, my song might be a little breakthrough for me. I think I hear hints of the same feel I like so much about the original.

So much improvement left to do, and so much music left to do, but so little time. This is the best hobby one could ever wish for!!

Lars

Best thing you have posted Lars.

Your persistence pays off. Very cool, although I dont know who the Smiths are.

I didnt expect too much knowledge on the board about The Smiths, but thats ok. Although it does get a bit frustrating when the range of known material here seems to be based around country, folk or blues. Still its good to broaden the perspective, its a big world out there boys and girls.

The Smiths are routinely voted as one of the best and most influential British bands of all time, active in the 80's. Their singer Morrissey continues successfully his solo career to this day. He recently was voted one of Britains best 3 ever lyricists and the greatest ever lyricist to express longing and desire.

Here's a couple faves of mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SckD99B51IA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ph-biyaroQ

.....it does get a bit frustrating when the range of known material here seems to be based around country, folk or blues.

It's a musical era thing, EA. Our musical tastes are largely defined when we are young and persist throughout our years. The Smiths are from the 80s, when I was in my 30s, having been raised listening to 50s country, early rock n' roll and the 60s birth of rock. With this stuff ringing in my ears how could 80s angst music have any appeal? Not to say it's bad at all.......it just doesn't push the musical buttons in me that were long ago installed.

Amen to what Buc said. It's a generational thing. Of course, it's always good to "broaden your horizons." I grew-up listening to the folk, rock & roll, and country of the 50's and 60's. I like Springsteen because he belonged in the 60's and did a great deal to make the 80's music listenable for me. None of the music is "bad," it's just that some is better than others. Don't know much about The Smiths, aside from hearing a song or two at times. Over the last couple of days I've been listening to them on YouTube.

[thumbup]

I think Buc and MP are right, are tastes are largely set in our late teens, early 20's. So I understand that The Smiths do not fit the "house style" of the forum (well maybe my acoustic version does, sort of...).

I grew up in the 80's, with bands like The Smiths, The Cure, The Alarm etc etc. Lots of British bands. With that said the core of my musical taste was set when I bought Springsteen's Nebraska at age thirteen in 1982. My heart is with the folksy, americana style music, these days, but The Smiths will always be important music to me.

I think it is important to try and listen to new stuff out of ones comfort zone. Sometimes new stuff can be a little al dente, before one gets it. So, MP, I'm glad you are giving The Smiths and Morrissey a shot [biggrin]

Lars

The Cure played in Prague last night. I had great seasts with Mrs EA, and the show was beyond expectations. They played for 3 hours, all the old hits, dark, light, fun, dancey. Robert Smith was in great voice and they played superbly. Im sure they are touring scandinavia also, are you going to go ?

Shot from last night.

14671080_10155383196818761_1691687201313183235_n.jpg?oh=f25ba34bf9c48636a72e680e68348d2b&oe=58AC94C0

I think Buc and MP are right, are tastes are largely set in our late teens early 20's. So I understand that The Smiths do not fit the "house style" of the forum (well maybe my acoustic version does, sort of...).

I grew up in the 80's, with bands like The Smiths, The Cure, The Alarm etc etc. Lots of British bands. With that said the core of my musical taste was set when I bought Springsteen's Nebraska at age thirteen in 1982. My heart is with the folksy, americana style music, these days, but The Smiths will always be important music to me.

I think it is important to try and listen to knew stuff out of ones comfort zone. Sometimes new stuff can be a little al dente, before one gets it. So, MP, I'm glad you are giving The Smiths and Morrissey a shot [biggrin]

Lars

Archived