Gibson Brands Forums

Making a Guitar

Fullmental Alpinist

I'll have to watch the video. I've had two guitars built for me from StewMac kits (by two different builders) and it was fascinating to see the progress. And they are both amazing guitars.

If you're interested in how they are made, StewMac offers their kit instruction manuals online as a downloadable .pdf and they are fascinating reading. If you're like me, you'll learn things you never knew. The part about the mathematical equation involved in figuring neck angle is fascinating.

You can download them here: http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Learn_About_Building_Instruments_and_Kits/Dreadnought_Guitar_Kit_Instructions.html

Always impressing and exciting to watch those pieces of wood transform.

Confess I envy the luthiers close-up contact with the nature of the creatures they give life.

However there must be a pretty long period in the beginning - 4-5-6 years - where it is frustrating to be so near the source without knowing a thing.

But as the deeper understanding and certain 'scientific' logic'n'method kick in, the ever growing insight will be worth every chisel-bite.

Building guitars probably is like playing guitar, , , (and lots of other stuff) - still the finer nuanced secrets in instrument-making are so well hidden,.

No matter how far you get, the sense of mystery is always right under the surface, , , , or should we say top.

And every time you think you have gained control over structures and sound, structures and sound say :

Pardon, , we intend to come out a little different this time. .

Quite the departure from the Only A Gibson is Good Enough crowd. Mr. Greenfield's opening introduction of "My client's are discerning artists, collectors, and those that demand the very best" describes precisely who his guitars are aimed for. Fortunately, there's room for both his creations, and more salt-of-the-earth guitars such as the J-45.

Items of interest from the video:

:04- Intro clip showing where the lining is interrupted to locate the wood to be used for the lower bout bevel(?).

5:00- "Moon-harvested Alpine Spruce". Almost lost me on that one. Perhaps a nice tradition to continue to refer to Alpine Spruce this way; fairly sure the magic of the harvest on the full moon wouldn't be as effective if the loggers weren't wearing their ceremonial garb, and singing the harvest songs on the equinox, as the practice of those customs ultimately make all the difference in the sound of guitars made from wood harvested in this manner.

19:25-"Every time you cut wood, you release interior tensions and stresses in the wood". Interesting point, and when considering the aging process he follows, gives some relevance to the recent discussion on SBPark's questions/observations about new guitars sounding choked or tight. (see old chestnut about "guitar no longer trying to be a tree").

39:00- Dissimilar wings on pinless bridge. A nice design feature, there. Bilateral symmetry, schmylateral symmetry. Less pull on the treb side of the bridge, so why should it have to have as large a footprint on the top as the bass side?

56:29- Is that a magnetic truss rod cover he pops in, here? Another nice innovation, considering a cleaner look, and no more trc's cracking from an overtightened screw.

All in all, beautiful work, and demo'ed nicely by Scott McCallister, Brooke Miller, and Lizzy Hoyt.

I've watched it three times now. I benefited the third time from all your comments. Thanks!

Did you notice that he lacquered the inside of the backs and sides and their braces and apparently finish-sanded them too?

Simply amazing attention to detail.

So I have a question I'm hoping one of youse can answer: what happens if you pony up the $14k it takes to buy one of these here guitars and after waiting a couple of years to get it it arrives and sounds like a box of socks? Can you get your money back on a custom guitar? Or are you stuck with it as long as it was built according to your specifications?

I've watched it three times now. I benefited the third time from all your comments. Thanks!

Did you notice that he lacquered the inside of the backs and sides and their braces and apparently finish-sanded them too?

Simply amazing attention to detail.

So I have a question I'm hoping one of youse can answer: what happens if you pony up the $14k it takes to buy one of these here guitars and after waiting a couple of years to get it it arrives and sounds like a box of socks? Can you get your money back on a custom guitar? Or are you stuck with it as long as it was built according to your specifications?

The laquer he does on the inside.. will protect it from those very humid enviroments.. I ve seen a few gibsons done that way for the hawaii market.. now if you pony up that type of money for a Nice Guitar like this.. Im sure you would be in love with it.. the sad part is... your spending that amount is your long term investment for your self.. I dont know how many out there would be willing to give you close to the Value paid.. the only guitars Ive seen sky rocket were the franklins from sandpoint ID.. but they have to be the special ones..

Like most gibsons.. you spend alot and dont really have that much to show for.. I couldnt imagine how many are Duds..

Archived