Gibson Brands Forums

Bird Competition

Buc McMaster

Starting fiddling around with this tune this morning, hoping to add it to the short set. Still have to read the words and haven't settled into the vocal yet.......think I might capo this up one to get into a better register. (And "bayou" is pronounced "by-oh".....my bad. I'll get it right.) Seemed like a good strumming tune to compare the Hummingbird and the Dove so I patched this together quickly. Not too bad on the cut. Haven't played the Hummingbird for a few days now.......it's still a helluva guitar though I'm really enjoying the new Dove. So how do you hear mahogany/short scale vs. maple/long scale? Dove is sporting the keystone machine heads now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAMRCixLLTE

Appreciate you doing this, considering all of the recent bird press. Scale length and maple seem to give the Dove a sweeter, more grand sound. But nothing has been mentioned about putting the two on strings of equal age and brand.

Thanks for putting that up; short n' sweet.

Thanks for posting . Me , I love the larger fuller sound of the Dove l would love to hear a fingerpicked comparison of the two guitars side by side . Both guitars sound first class but the Dove on this clip gets my vote

Thanks all! [biggrin]

The HB is a bit darker, the Dove a little brighter but there's not a ton of difference. Played the HB for a couple hours today, and then the Dove for an hour or so........I confess I like the Dove better overall. It's a little louder and, to my ear, better balanced across the strings. Got just the right amount of shimmer in it. And the tune works much, much better capo-ed at the first. Allows for a lot more power in the voice.........this one will be in the short set for sure.

Throwing myself into the vocal harmony I forgot to listen to the guitars. Ha. .

Second round told what was somewhat awaited.

As Sal says the Bird is a bit hazier, but apart from that the Dove seems slightly bigger and deeper projecting meaning roomier.

If you really want to expose the different natures, let the strings fade. Everything will surface then.

I predict the Dove will be bassier from that extra room and scale - and clearer from the maple.

The Bird will be tighter and more defined.

My humble 5 Yen

A belated congrats on the latest addition to your collection. It's a beautiful looking and sounding guitar for sure. Now all you need is the elusive Sparrow to complete your bird trifecta! Ha,ha...

Just curious, what replacement tuners did you go with? Am I seeing bushing rings in that picture? Grover Deluxe?

Just curious, what replacement tuners did you go with? Am I seeing bushing rings in that picture? Grover Deluxe?

Grover set 135N (nickel finish). Button right in with no mods. In fact, I didn't even break the hardware bag on the new set........used the washers, nuts and screws that were on the Rotomatics. The lower back side screw matches up perfectly with the existing hole and the top screw is really not necessary, but I figure I'll have the tech drill and add them when I take it in for the K&K install next week.

EM7: doing some harmony? Very cool! Would that the capo was on and the vocal was better on this one but I meant it to be a comparison of the instruments anyway. Just ran the short set again and It's 'bout ready for prime time. Ten tunes, runs right at 30 minutes doing them back-to-back with no chatter..........expect there'll be some of that at the saloon.

Thanks for listening, guys!

I do hear a clear difference between the two, and for this song and the vocal style i thought the Dove was the stronger performer. Brighter and punchier it supported the vocal tone and sat just right where the vocal register is. But also agree with others, would like to hear a comaprisement with same strings and similar string wear.

Buc, I had a listen too, and my preference is for the Dove for this song. It sounds a little fuller and brighter, which complements the vocals nicely. If possible, I would be very interested to hear a comparison between the two with both guitars at standard tuning and strummed over the soundhole. I can imagine that the difference in scale length might affect tone when tuning down. The same with strumming position.

Is your Dove also the vintage version, or more comparable to a Hummingbird Standard?

Lars

By the way, not only great guitars, but great song and performance too!

Both guitars sound really strong. To be totally honest, if this had been simply an audio file and I had not read the thread beforehand, I might not have known that you were playing different guitars. First time I played it I wasn't looking at it the moment you switched guitars, but I noticed a very slight increase in tempo and it kind of made me glance at the screen and then I noticed the Dove. I spaced back a few seconds on the video and saw the change. As others have stated, "the bird" is a bit warmer and the Dove has a wider sound. Differences in mahogany and maple. The differences are there, but I really have to listen for them. Knowing they are two different guitars helps in the listening, but still, both sound great with all the similarities of excellent instruments......I went for around twenty years without owning a maple guitar. I associated maple with the bright sound often attributed to Taylors (for the Taylor fans, I'm not bashing them) and I didn't want that in my music. I'd forgotten how much maple projects the bass and mids, along with the treble. My Dove is louder than my Hummingbird. My Hummingbird is warmer than my Dove, but both sound great to my ears. To me, your Hummingbird has a real "honky tonk" tone to it. That "classic country" tone.....Good video.

Archived