Gibson Brands Forums

Famous Blue Raincoat _ L.Cohen cover on LG-2

flatbaroque

I heard a song of the old boys new album this week.It was good.Good for a 20 year old let alone an 80 year old.I guess that deep creative well combined with a tax problem can inspire a few new tunes.

Here's favorite old one.Bit of a fret buzz on the low e at times but it kind of adds to the creepiness.Also a touch of the sleepy hollows too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-s864i_IM8&feature=youtu.be

Outstanding! So good in fact, that you need to show us the top of your head! [biggrin]

I just wrote in another thread that what attracts me to a new piece of music often is the feel, or emotion, it conveys, maybe more so than perfect vocals or playing. This song is a prime example of this. You manage to fill your covers with so much emotion. This one gives me that "walking alone at 3 AM in the big city, rain dripping down, streets almost empty" kind of feeling.

Thanks for posting!

Lars

FB - im not sure if its meant to be that way, but your vocals in the verse sounded quite flat, sort of, not really in tune ? But maybe that was deliberate to create that sort of dissinant tone ?

Something that came to my mind, how about doing some Aussie stuff and show the board what aussie talent can do. I was thinking maybe you could try a Paul Kelly tune, he always seemed to me like Australias version of Bob Dylan, great storyteller.

Great barroom song. I like the guitar playing for this song. Yeah, the low E is a little off, but so am I, so it still works. My one serious, somewhat of a critique is that I think you should sing this more in your voice than in Cohen's style. For me, I hate hearing people trying to sing Folsom Prison Blues like Cash, or Don't Think Twice like Dylan, instead of singing it like themselves.....Anyway, I always like your songs on here and if I ran into you at a coffeehouse or bar, I'd definitely sit and listen. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Hey fellers appreciate you all having a listen.Some sharp? some flat? something for everyone! [smile]

Sbpark had a good idea in other thread about recording methods.My videos are just Zoom Q3HD camera comes with software to add a little reverb.It has two in built condensor mics.Records sound pretty well but you have to be close for quieter songs.

Hence the headless horsemen sometimes.

Great barroom song. I like the guitar playing for this song. Yeah, the low E is a little off, but so am I, so it still works. My one serious, somewhat of a critique is that I think you should sing this more in your voice than in Cohen's style. For me, I hate hearing people trying to sing Folsom Prison Blues like Cash, or Don't Think Twice like Dylan, instead of singing it like themselves.....Anyway, I always like your songs on here and if I ran into you at a coffeehouse or bar, I'd definitely sit and listen. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Know what you mean about folks who try getting too close to the original's voice; my pet dislike, though, is when somebody totally butchers a song by trying to make it "their own".

Thanks Keith and Cowboy.

I agree about Larry's pet peeve although I didn't try to sound like LC here.If I did it was a coincidence [smile] .I occasionally do a Tom Waits and make a point of not going the full growl.There are some pretty funny clips of pimply young'uns bungin' on the full whiskey and smokes voice.

Yea EA should do a Paul Kelly sometime.My favorite Aussie singer songwriter is Ed Keupper.Very distinctive but hard to cover well.

Thanks Keith and Cowboy.

I agree about Larry's pet peeve although I didn't try to sound like LC here.If I did it was a coincidence [smile] .I occasionally do a Tom Waits and make a point of not going the full growl.There are some pretty funny clips of pimply young'uns bungin' on the full whiskey and smokes voice.

Yea EA should do a Paul Kelly sometime.My favorite Aussie singer songwriter is Ed Keupper.Very distinctive but hard to cover well.

Ed keupper . I used to love something by him. Was it called the butterfly net or something ?

I enjoyed this, sir--even without seeing the top of your head, and I'm not gonna bug you about the sharp E string because it would just be piling on.

Get thee to a studio, lad...you might like that. Just thinking...

yep BBG that's one of Ed's-some tasty songs on that one.He just released his 50th album! -Lost Cities.A lot of compilations and doubling up amongst those albums...but still a huge body of great songs.

Anne some of these harsh critics inferred the top of my head was sharp too that's why it wasn't in the frame!

I used to love Ed's stuff in my younger years around the Serene Machine and Honey Steels Gold albums. Ed, along with the likes of Nick Cave were examples of Aussie performers who brushed shoulders with mainstream popularity occasionally when the mainstream shifted its taste rather than them shifting their own intent. There were others too, Triffids, Go-Betweens etc. Good days.

Archived