Gibson Brands Forums

StewMack Relief Gauge and Byrdland

ronjazz

Hello,

I find the StewMack neck relief gauge to be a great tool for all of my arch tops, with the exception of my recent Byrdland acquisition due to its short scale length. Are there any Byrdland or short scale owners out there that have also successfully employed the StewMack gauge? The gauge's feet are usually placed on the 1st and 12th frets, but with the Byrdland's short scale the feet do not line up.

Hello,

I find the StewMack neck relief gauge to be a great tool for all of my arch tops, with the exception of my recent Byrdland acquisition due to its short scale length. Are there any Byrdland or short scale owners out there that have also successfully employed the StewMack gauge? The gauge's feet are usually placed on the 1st and 12th frets, but with the Byrdland's short scale the feet do not line up.

If it was me I'd just place the gauge on the first fret and whatever fret the other end falls on and measure the relief on whatever fret the pointer lines up with. The degree of curvature is basically the same along the length of the fretboard from the nut to the body. So if you can get the thing to line up with any frets, that ought to work.

If it was me I'd just place the gauge on the first fret and whatever fret the other end falls on and measure the relief on whatever fret the pointer lines up with. The degree of curvature is basically the same along the length of the fretboard from the nut to the body. So if you can get the thing to line up with any frets, that ought to work.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Actually, placing the lower end of the gauge on the 3rd fret seems to work. Using the 1st fret, however, causes the upper end/foot of the gauge to rest on the fingerboard, resulting in erroneous readings.

Thanks again.

Archived