Gibson Brands Forums

No place to fall

MorrisrownSal

Sorry to flood you all... I learned a new TVZ song this afternoon, and it just may be my favorite TVZ song. The words are easy to memorize, and they are frankly beautiful. I recorded it with my J50, using the camera on my iPad, and my Apogee MiC plugged into the iPad via lightning cable. No reverb... just dry in my office at home. There is a filter on the YouTube to warm the video, but it's a canned effect. Anyways, I hope you like it.

Ha. With an intro like that (that is, the part telling us what, how, & who), I just had to pre-empt normally scheduled programming to give a listen thru the powered monitors. Real nice. You and that J-50 are an official item. Townes was a shooting star.

And you got me on to the Apogee MiC. That's a real nice way to wrap up a Sunday evening.

Nice Townes song. Over the summer I get together with a few guys and we swap original songs around, kicking dust on them and having fun, and when we start to run out of our own stuff, the fellas I play with start in on their Townes repertoire - good stuff. I still don't own any of his music, and don't think I could even identify one of his tunes, but its good folksy Americana stuff. Nice J-50.

Townes was a great talent, like that's news to anyone here. Left us too soon, left us with songs that are all the more valuable for the loss of their source, left us knowing that he fought his devils the best he could for as long as he could manage. Fine execution of a fine song - I believe old Townes would approve😉

Wow, this is terrific, Sal. There's something in your voice or phrasing that actually sounds alot like Townes, so this song is a real nice fit for you. As always, you still make it yours, but there is a resemblence, I'd say. Two thumbs up! ;)

Superb, Sal! Just my kind of tune. TVZ is actually playing in the background as I type this. I discovered his music fairly recently, and I was immediately caught. As you know, I love my sad music [biggrin] By the way, "A Song for" has got to be the saddest song ever recorded, heartachingly beautiful, but almost too sad even for me.

If you have some more, I will gladly listen. You do this style very well, and its suits your voice.

Lars

P.S. I just finished the TVZ biography "No Deeper Blue" and his life, although sad, was a very fascinating one indeed.

Thanks again guys.

Folks talk about the greatest songwriters... and they always mention Dylan and Townes. I, like Lars, have come to listen to each of these guys more deeply in the last few years. As a recent newcomer to each, I personally find that Dylan was prolific, and that there were not enough words that could come out of him into a song. It worked for sure... for him... but I think of closing a suitcase with a lot of clothes in it...

I feel Townes had an economy of words and phrase... but the words he chose... they conveyed a feeling (usually sadness, or longing for help) magically and perfectly.

As Bob was honored this past few weeks, I couldn't help but feel that Townes should be too. I hope that wherever he is he knows that his music and life inspired an idiot like me, who came to his music only lately.

As Bob was honored this past few weeks, I couldn't help but feel that Townes should be too. I hope that wherever he is he knows that his music and life inspired an idiot like me, who came to his music only lately.

I read recently that Townes is to be inducted into the songwriters hall of fame in Nashville.

I like Dylan, but love Townes. I find Dylan hard to understand at times. So abstract and full of words. I find him at best in songs like The Ballad of Hollies Brown, which I find more staightforward. Townes on the other hand is easier for me. I also think he wrote most everything about his personal experiences, which makes the music very real, especially in his raw live recordings. Sal, have you checked out some of the numerous later Townes live recordings, not available on the streaming services? They are superb, and the CDs can easily be found on e-bay. I think I've got about all of them by now...

Lars

Dylan was prolific, and that there were not enough words that could come out of him into a song. It worked for sure... for him... but I think of closing a suitcase with a lot of clothes in it...

I feel Townes had an economy of words and phrase... but the words he chose... they conveyed a feeling (usually sadness, or longing for help) magically and perfectly.

Couldn't have been said better.

Great job, Sal. You are the master of many things.

I have a TVZ connection with a Band I was in before, so heard a lot of this stuff nearly 20 years ago and came to appreciate it at the time. Great words have a staying power.

Archived