Gibson Brands Forums

Customizing Fretboard Inlays

jannusguy2

with the frets in it will be a liitle more work.. I just go and measure width at the top and the bttom for center.. on the board.. make a template of each inlay and paste to the board.. Ive used a dremel with a very tiny round rasp ball to carve out the location.. then a razor knife to care fully sharpen the edge and in the mean time drop the inlay in to place till it fits flush.. may take several times per inlay.. once the inlay fits nice.. I use hot glue ( simular to crazy glue.. with a activator then I find a piece of ebony sand alot of filings.. any gaps.. fill the gaps with the dust and carefully put hot glue in to set the filings up.. then after dried. scrape the board with a one sided razor blade..

Maybe someone sells the ebony resin.. Im not sure.. tape both ends of the blade so they do not gouge the frets or Board.. put a slight bend in the blade hold..

this is the way Ive done it.. some one might have a eazier way..

Its lot of fun..but takes alot of time too...

with the frets in it will be a liitle more work.. I just go and measure width at the top and the bttom for center.. on the board.. make a template of each inlay and paste to the board.. Ive used a dremel with a very tiny round rasp ball to carve out the location.. then a razor knife to care fully sharpen the edge and in the mean time drop the inlay in to place till it fits flush.. may take several times per inlay.. once the inlay fits nice.. I use hot glue ( simular to crazy glue.. with a activator then I find a piece of ebony sand alot of filings.. any gaps.. fill the gaps with the dust and carefully put hot glue in to set the filings up.. then after dried. scrape the board with a one sided razor blade..

Maybe someone sells the ebony resin.. Im not sure.. tape both ends of the blade so they do not gouge the frets or Board.. put a slight bend in the blade hold..

this is the way Ive done it.. some one might have a eazier way..

Its lot of fun..but takes alot of time too...

This is not something I would consider attempting myself. Just wondering if someone can recommend a luthier that might tackle it. Or share your thoughts on sending it back to Gibson to have them do it.

There are vinyl inlays you can buy that you could try to see if you like the guitar with something different on it. They peel-off and don't cost much. Just looking at them they appear to be real from a few feet away. I was told they last quite-a-while. Don't know that I'd use them, but they might be okay to experiment with. At least if one doesn't like them, they can be removed.

Thats cool.. just imagine someone back in the early 1940s or earlier, doing this all by hand.. Makes you wonder with all those fancy guitars from back in the day.. what the time frame was for building compared to nowadays technology ..

Archived