Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup Adjustment at full volume?

RockyA

Just curious as to who adjusts their pickups with all the guitar controls dimed. Also, with guitar dimed is your amp volume at one or two to get the articulate clean sound normally with the pickups lower than spec recommendations. Or do you turn your amp up to 4 or 5 and go for clean sound? I've noticed the clean articulate sound with amp at one or two for clarity and guitar dimed doesn't sound the same at stage volumes unless the guitar volume is rolled off. How do you do it?

Basically it's all about trial and error for me. I set them in the ball park by the mfg suggestions on a new guitar or if I've changed out the pups, but I will only really know for sure when I'm at the volumes I'll use when working with the boys. And I set them with the guitars' vol all the way up. Volume control is a huge issue for me, so it's essential that I maintain clarity when I'm rolling back volume pots, if too much highs bleed out, that's a different issue most often.

Anyway, I keep a small tool kit handy for adjust the pickups, truss rod, fender style saddles, etc so I can make adjustments on the fly as needed.

Once I get them set, I don't usually go back and change anything except the truss rod when it feels like it needs it.

rct,

When you say they are all the way down, are you saying they are even with the mounting bracket, both neck and bridge pups for Gibson LPs for example?

Yes, and SG, and Explorer. On Fenders, down even with the pickguard. For about...40 years now.

rct

Guest Farnsbarns

But are your caps the right way, that's the real question.

rct

No. I put them backwards so any noise can get to ground more easily.

• 2 weeks later...

Everytime i adjust my pickups i make my guitar sound worse. I read through advice on this for weeks and i am beginning to think that maybe i just don't like 57 classic and 57 plus pickups.

Right now i feel allot like i did when i was a kid and found out from my teacher and other kids that santa wasn't real, the reason is i just bought a used RG120 ibanez for 50 bux and it sounds better than my 2015 LP Studio, (right now). I KNOW my LP can be adusted to sound better, but im going to have to have someone else do it.

I must confess, I have only rarely adjusted the pickup height on any of my guitars that will even allow for such a thing.

Adjustable bridge height for action, yes.

Intonation screw settings, also yes.

Rarely, a truss rod adjustment.

The only times I can remember fooling with the pickup heights were when:

a. I had bought a used guitar that had the pickups ridiculously high or low

and

b. When experimenting to figure out why one string rang louder than the others, usually a G or B string

In general, when setting up and sound-checking on stage, I start from certain knowns, and then adjust from there during the gig.

* Guitar volume at 6, tone knobs at the mid-point

* Guitar amps at 4 to 5, and mic'ed to the PA, using a Shure 57

* Main PA volume at the nominal setting for the hall or outdoor venue

* Vocal mic's about 1 notch higher than guitar in the main mix on the PA, and one notch lower in the monitor mix

....and then we sound-check, using a compatriot walking every corner and distance from the stage, getting the vocals, drums, bass, and guitars evened-up, and checking the guitar's clean-to-dirty settings as appropriate.

The stage monitors should hopefully give the band (okay, the drummer mainly) a decent mix with the guitars stronger in the mix than anything else.

Vocals and bass will always cut thru, but the drummer usually has the hardest time hearing the guitars.

The main mix out to the crowd should be even, and a little louder (during sound check) than you think it ought to be.

Later on when there is a noise absorbing crowd, things will sound just right.

As rct indicated, when playing the sets on stage from then on, I use the volume knob to make each portion of each song sound just right, and I adjust the tone knobs sparingly, usually for specific effect on certain songs.

Anyway, that's about it.

I'm gonna shut up now.

:unsure:

Roach the rg120 is geared towards metal.

Maybe you are looking for a lot hotter pickups

That adjustments won't cure

these classics. The treble classic is too way to trebly, it sounds like ducks quaking if i try to play long train running it sounds like frikin disco duck. so i roll down the tone ALL THE WAY and finish with the eq on amp to tolerate it there, the other classic pu is so muddy then if i roll up that tone knob it is worse that the trebly treble pu. when i dial both in the best that i have i get a super wet sound from the rhythm side like its not coming off purely pure.

the 400 combo i had when i would hit a low e then play the rest of the e chord (e note on one then e chord on two) the high notes would slice right though the low note like a vintage zildjian 21" rock ride on the bell. that would make the hair on my arm stand up and a chill of pure joy would rush through me as i would do it again and again just to keep hearing the beuatifullness of it. It didnt last as the bridge pick up went bad within a year.

I CANNOT GET THAT SOUND AGAIN ITS LIKE A DRUGGIE CHASING THAT FIRST TIME...sry caps my bad

Yes this indonesian piece of fake wood sounds great, however it is a one trick pony. It is great for producing screaming harmonics from picking and for metal as you said. But it has zero flexibility and can get boring. It is a shredder though and i like it. But i know my LP is more versatile and can sound better maybe it is a matter of changing pu's but that is the most expesive option too and i cannot do that for a great unknown amount of time. And i do not play metal ALL the time so i will have to figure something out, when i can

You have a few choices

If it still under warranty. You'll need to bring it to a dealer and convince them of what's bad and have them change out the pickups or what ever

If that doesn't work or its not under any warranty.

Choose

is the body , neck, finish something I love or not

If it's not then you may want to sell it to someone that does.

If you love the rest of the guitar.

Then look for specialty parts like RS Guitar Works pots caps harness

And say any number of specialty pickup makers. Seymour Duncan, Bareknuckle etc

You have a few choices

If it still under warranty. You'll need to bring it to a dealer and convince them of what's bad and have them change out the pickups or what ever

If that doesn't work or its not under any warranty.

Choose

is the body , neck, finish something I love or not

If it's not then you may want to sell it to someone that does.

If you love the rest of the guitar.

Then look for specialty parts like RS Guitar Works pots caps harness

And say any number of specialty pickup makers. Seymour Duncan, Bareknuckle etc

well, i put too much $$ into this to get rid of it and of course i love the color. I am just not getting the settings right really has to be. I have heard other studios with these pickups and liked them. Im barely even past beginner stages as a player even though i been around guitars for decades, (but as a drummer). The sound of the 490/498 is much sweater to me, but i know these pickups can satisfy me. The main issue i have is getting the higher pitched notes and strings to cut through my head when a low note is also holding, instead i literally get sillence, this only occurs with high gain or plenty of distortion. so i raise the pick up on that side and i get more of the overkill quack/squack too much treble with tone down i dont get the same gain its very hard to dila in enough treble without the nasty sound im trying to describe . Then if i adjust the pole pieceson the strings im not hearing as good its a similar battle. Just best for me to let a pro do it. I cant afford to buy new pu's so ill do all i can first

Thanks everyone for your thoughts did not mean to hijack thread so ill shut up too

Oh dude....

If you were located in Europe I would trade the 490R/498T with black plastic covers for your Classic's without even thinking about it.

They improved my Epi's sound a lot, but still, it will never be a set of pickups that I would buy.

Disliked them in my Gibson and well, tolerate them in the Epi. But I'm far away from liking them.

Good luck anyways!

Roach,

I have the 57 classics in my ES 335 and they can sound really hot at factory recommended heights. I have to roll off the volume quite a bit. Have you tried adjusting them holding the E strings down at the 22nd fret and measuring between the top of polepiece to the bottom of the string with neck pickup at 3/32" (6/64) and bridge pup at 1/16" (4/64). They should sound good as a starting point. Play and adjust in small increments to your ear or have a recording on to play along with. Lowering may sound warmer and more articulate, raising will be hotter and more distorted. Try the factory recommended first and roll off the volume and tone knobs as necessary.

Totally agree RockyA, factroy specs are a good starting point.

But IMO if you want to be completely satisfied with your sound you should adjust it to your taste.

They don't set up the guitars with your amp, at your volumes and with your picking style at the factory.

Thats the big problem with factory specs.

It drove me almost crazy when I started to learn to make my own setups, because of those specs, and the huge amount of bull$hit on the internet.

Now I only measure out of curiosity, and not really often.

I have learned to do it by ear and feel, faster and more accurate, you only need a good tuner and some basic tools, no rocket sience there.

Going with factory specs I would end up with way too low action, way too high pickups lots of fret buzz less sustain and a bad sound to my ears.

Thats it, I shut up now!

Roach,

Have you tried adjusting them holding the E strings down at the 22nd fret and measuring between the top of polepiece to the bottom of the string with neck pickup at 3/32" (6/64) and bridge pup at 1/16" (4/64).

yes i have tried those heights while fretting both high and low sides... i keep adjusting trying everything, maybe if i knew the factory height for the poles per string, I might have a better RE-starting point, idk

Just wondering then, is your guitar setup? Have you tried relief at 7th fret of .012 with first fret capo and low E pressed at last fret? Is your action at 12th fret 5/64 bass side and 3/64ths high E? Intonation correct? Should play and sound decent I would think, but then again all guitars are different. Have you tampered with the pole pieces or left them as they came from the factory? If you are within the specs, I would lower both pickups to 3/32 and see, if still not sounding good lower neck to an 1/8 with bridge at 3/32 and see. Don't know what to say to correct problem if none of that works. Sorry

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering then, is your guitar setup? Have you tried relief at 7th fret of .012 with first fret capo and low E pressed at last fret? Is your action at 12th fret 5/64 bass side and 3/64ths high E? Intonation correct? Should play and sound decent I would think, but then again all guitars are different. Have you tampered with the pole pieces or left them as they came from the factory? If you are within the specs, I would lower both pickups to 3/32 and see, if still not sounding good lower neck to an 1/8 with bridge at 3/32 and see. Don't know what to say to correct problem if none of that works. Sorry

Yeah it has beenset up. But I started messing with the pickups because the high strings werebeing washed away with amp up and

overdrive , yes I messed with pole pieces and put them back where they wereoriginally setup at and did again and again. I need to change

the strings againsoon anyway. That will be the time to try again.

Roach,

For what it's worth you can try these settings, they work beautifully on my 2014 ES 335. The action on it is 5/64 Low E at 12th fret and 3/64 high E at 12th fret. I measured them and here is what they are with E strings fretted at 22nd fret, and measured from top of polepiece to bottom of string. Neck PUP Low E 4/32, High E 7/64. Bridge Low E 5/64, High E 5/64 with string on the line.

Roach,

For what it's worth you can try these settings, they work beautifully on my 2014 ES 335. The action on it is 5/64 Low E at 12th fret and 3/64 high E at 12th fret. I measured them and here is what they are with E strings fretted at 22nd fret, and measured from top of polepiece to bottom of string. Neck PUP Low E 4/32, High E 7/64. Bridge Low E 5/64, High E 5/64 with string on the line.

will give it a try thx

Archived