Gibson Brands Forums

NGD 2017 SG Standard Pelham Blue

norcalpiper

So I started my 2017 buying season a little early. I was totally bummed that the Black Cherry burst was out of stock, so I ordered Pelham Blue. I'm not crazy about PB, but I figured its about sound anyway.

It arrived today and of course that fragrance is the first that hits you. Fit and finish are flawless, and the sound is great as should be with 57's.

I opened the cavity to take a look. Motherboard, quick connect, and plastics....not so pleasing, but reduced quality is the norm now. I took it to guitar center to put a poker chip at the switch as I have to have that. The tech restrung and setup and I took it back home to jam.

2 hours later and its a screaming SG. It DOES have a touch of neckdive, but I''m convinced its the grover locking tuners that contribute. Its still there though, but not as bad as I've experienced before.

So all in all OK....I dont know why I'm not super excited. The new cherry bursts are in stock on the 31st. Should I return this one? Get the one I really wanted? Or just keep this one and let it grow on me. I'll post a pic tonight.

This is indeed a quandary, norcalpiper.

A quandary wrapped up in an enigma, and then rolled and batter-fried in a mystery.

You ordered, sight-unseen, a guitar in a color & finish that you aren't fond of.

You have made adjustments and modifications, and still you view the guitar to be merely okay.

And now you are yearning for the guitar in the color & finish that you (admittedly, originally) really wanted all along.

In my opinion, your shopping behavior has resulted in the appropriate outcome.

Of course you will return the guitar, and hopefully the one that features the proper color and finish will be more to your liking.

I wish you the best of luck in this endeavor.

:mellow:

So all in all OK....I dont know why I'm not super excited. The new cherry bursts are in stock on the 31st. Should I return this one? Get the one I really wanted? Or just keep this one and let it grow on me. I'll post a pic tonight.

Hmmm.. Id say return it and wait for more stock of the cherry burst cos its going to constantly annoy you otherwise...

Even if you have to try a few of them to get your perfect one .. Id say you will be happier in the long run. And I myself would be way happier with the cherry burst too.. I think PB is ok (kinda goes more on a 335 type guitar if you ask me).. But cherry burst is way nicer...

Hmmmmmmmm

herry-burst-3_zpsyytrexha.jpg

You know.... After my last post, I pulled out a set of new Kluson Revolution vintage style tuners Imwas gonna put on my special and decided to see how it made me feel. I must admit that after I put these new tuners on, it really gave the guitar a better classic look. I alsomrealized that ALL of my SG s. have vintage tuners with perloid keys. All,of them. I think the Grovers were subconciously disturbing my OCD. With the added switch poker chip, it actually pops.

I'm gonna jump off topic for a minute. I have used all themvintagemstyle tuners from Gibson, Kiuson,Grover, Wilkinson....They all tend to be OK if your guitar ismsetup properly, but I read rave reviews about these new Kluson Revolution tuners and and picked some up. Anyway, I installed them and restrung then played form10 minutes, rested themguitar form20 mins, then picked itmup, pulled the strings, retuned, andmplayed for 1 hour straight. The guitar did notmfall out of tune at all. These tuners are wonderful and I am going to put them on all my SGs

So yeah....my guitar now looks, feels, and plays better. i would have liked amcherry burst, but I blieve in what is meant to be usually happens, and this Pelham Blue SG seemsmto be my destiny.

Another thing I failed to mention is that the slight neck dive is cured now the grovers are replaced.

Great looking guitar. Seems to be a deeper blue than Pelham Blue to my eyes, but I like it. I've never liked blue guitars (or blue cars for that matter), but I ran across a blue Tele that I really was more interested in for my cousin than myself. It was a used instrument, I got a great deal on it, and my cousin didn't want it. I love it. The color grew on me, and it just plays wonderful.

I also fell heir to a blue Peavey Raptor after that, couldn't pass that up, and so now after saying I've never liked blue guitars I have two. Go figure...

norcalpiper, beautiful guitar. Thanks, I wouldn't have even know that this guitar existed except I seen your post. I just ordered one. I've been looking for a pelham blue SG for a long time (that didn't cost a zillion bucks). Can you tell me, did you have to do any drilling to replace the Grovers with the Kluson? Did the any of the screw holes line up?

Thanks

The holes on the Kluson revolution tuner were "just" wide enough to screw in. Once I had the hexed and that one screw in, i marked off the hole and drilled the 2nd hole. I dont know about other vintage tuner hole spacing, but kluson revolution seems to have taken the minuscule difference in spacing into account.

Congrats! She's a beauty. I happen to love PB, as well as EG.

Regarding neck dive, I've two solutions: A wider strap with texture underneath (suede, corduroy, etc. ) or a Bigsby to counter the tuners' weight.

Damn I didn't even know the 2017 Standard SG came in PB! Thanks Gibson for posting the information about the 2017 range...oh wait...

Right??? WTF, Gibson? No website staff to upload the new products? Sheesh! Every other site has had the new 2017 guitars up for over a month now.

• 2 weeks later...

Does the rhythm/treble switch washer fit in place with out any mods to the switch. Is there enough threads for it to work right?

Steve

I just put one on mine today, no issues at all (except I scratched it a little putting it on D#%&-it)

Archived