Gibson Brands Forums

2016 ES Les Paul Special vs 2015 Memphis ES Les Paul Historic Burst

Big Arm

Looking at these 2 models (along with Epiphone Florentine). What can you tell me about them? The 2016 Special is plainer. How do they compare quality wise? I can get a used Special for less than $1300 and supposedly a mint Historic Burst for $1800. Quite a difference in price and both are much lower cost than other models. I don't really want a real expensive one, but rather one that I don't mind taking out of the house. However, a good guitar would be nice.

• 9 months later...

I looked at several of the ES Les Paul specials mainly because they are affordable but I found the finish to be lacking, especially around the neck on most. I also wasn't thrilled with the overall look of the specials. Played nice though, all the basics are covered in that model if you can get around the finishing job which is where they saved money. The standard ES Les Paul's seem so much better finished to me so I just ordered a NOS 2015 ES Les Paul in bourbon burst, probably be here early next week. I am going to be waiting impatiently for the FedEx truck all week msp_laugh.gif

I think the Epiphone florantine is a different beast. It's a routed back mated to a laminated top sort of like a wildcat in a Les Paul shape. I liked that one too but I think it's a little heavier and sounds more like a solid body to me.

-Jim

Aside from being quite different models, in 2015 Gibson made the fingerboards a little wider. Some people liked it and said it kept them from slipping off the board, other people didn't care for it at all.

If possible I would advise you play them both and see which one feels better in your hand as the necks will be different even though they are both Les Pauls. [blink]

Personally I think the ES is worth a lot more than $500 more than the special, but that is just me, but if it were me I'd grab the ES assuming the neck width didn't bother me.

• 1 month later...

Archived