Gibson Brands Forums

Nick Lucas vs. L-1 Robert Johnson.

jimmyboy

I already have the L-1 but never seen L-OO Nick Lucas in person.Watching the Nick Lucas on YouTube it sounds so good and both are not far apart in price range in the used market.I would like to ask you for your opinion on build, spec, quality, sounds, etc.Especially on the Nick Lucas.Thank you.

The Nick Lucas is a Good guitar..I would guess in the 15 to 17 range for a nice One.. the ones from the early 90s were great. but they came with a variety of woods on the back.. Maple, Koa, Rosewood.. I personally like the rosewood version.. The L1 is okay for a 12 fretter.. its 1200.00 guitar.. again the early 90s version.. without the Robert Johnson Sig.. I have a Not for resale model.. its Burn pressed on the center strip inside .

My '92 Nick Lucas is one of my favorite acoustic guitar. I bought it early '93 it was from the 1993 winter NAMM show. Mine has maple back and sides, Braz. RW fingerboard and Sitka top and long scale. The depth is around 4" and much deeper than the L-1 or regular L-00. As with all Gibson acoustics, you got to find a good one. I played quite a few NL guitars, vintage and reissues, I prefer maple back and sides. I think the maple with the deep body makes the difference. I also preferred the long scale over the ones with short scale.

They both have a snappy attack and quick decay, which makes them great rag pickers. They would sound a little more open in altered tunings, but they arent the most versatile tools in the kit. The long scale versions Ive tried were tighter/more piercing.

Archived