Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage Gibson Repair

Ericmack

Hello all!

I added a post yesterday regarding a Gibson J-50 handed down from my grandad to my dad and about a week ago to me. I got some great help with dating the guitar and deciphering the serial number (1761 17). We narrowed it down to possibly late 40's to early 50's so needless to say it's special guitar. It does however have a few repairs that need to be made. I live in the Atlanta area and I'm looking for a luthier with an incredible reputation working on vintage guitars, Gibson in particular. If you guys could point me to someone in the Atlanta, Birmingham, or Nashville area that would be awesome! I know there's several out there but this is a guitar I want to take to the best. I'm sure you guys understand [smile]

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Is Savannah too far? Try Randy Wood at the Pickin' Parlor. Top notch he is.

we live in Atlanta and have been collecting vintage guitars for 40 years. We have about 50 old Gibsons and a like number of old Martins. All major work on high end instruments we take to Randy Woods in Savannah.

I'd add Jim Grainger's shop in Sparta, TN. It's called Custom Fretted Instruments. He's done work for me on newer guitars and is excellent. Every time I've been there he's had multiple vintage Gibsons there for work, from minor tweaks to restoration. He's very good on finish work, too.

Archived