Gibson Brands Forums

Super Rare Original ca. 1920's Gibson Catalog Artwork - Query

atomic

Hello Gibson Forumites! My first post here. A few years back, I acquired some incredibly rare and original Gibson catalog "artwork" (photographic prints from which the catalog images were reproduced). The collection includes thirteen photographic prints, as well as a C.V. Buttleman signed letter, on Gibson letterhead (in stamped, addressed envelope), ca. Dec. 10, 1919, and original Catalog "M" ca. 1921.

The photographic materials were most certainly once in the possession of Former Gibson Mandolin-Guitar Company sales manager, C.V. Buttleman. The Photographs are the original Master (artwork) prints that were used in the printing of Gibson catalogs, ca.1920's. It is my understanding that these photographs were found at the Gibson factory in Kalamazoo before the company's relocation in the early 1980's. Two very interesting photographs feature silent-era film star, Priscilla Dean, holding an F-4 Mandolin. One is the artwork used to print page three of catalog "M", ca. 1921. The late Julius Bellson comments on her appearance in chapter 12 of his book, The Gibson Story. The other photograph is of Priscilla Dean playing a Style O guitar, and it's an outstanding image! This particular image never made it into the catalogs as far as I know.

Other images are from various Mandolin & Guitar orchestras. Some can be seen in the catalogs throughout the decade, others never made it to print and have never been seen before. There are various comments, notes and crop markings on some of the prints. Principally on the back of the prints. ie: Priscilla Dean, Universal star, in a musical mood", on the back of the Style O print. Most of the markings are hand-written and appear to be penned by the same hand. One of the photographs bears the signature of C.V. Buttleman, no doubt notating edits and approvals destined for the catalogs.

I can only assume that a company as prestigious as Gibson, with over 100 years of instrument building heritage, would be interested in featuring these in their Historical archives, or for museum display. It makes more sense that these truly unique, and rare photographs reside with Gibson, and not in a private collection.

I've tried contacting Gibson in regard to acquiring these rare gems. I left several voice messages, and the front desk passed on my email and photo references to the relevant departments within Gibson but no response whatsoever, nada. It's been over two weeks now, and I'm not certain whether this material is reaching the right people or not. Perhaps Gibson couldn't care less? Hence, my posting. Any suggestions on how to approach this people? Thanks!

A few examples...

post-82200-048462100 1477700373_thumb.jpg

post-82200-068128600 1477700393_thumb.jpg

post-82200-004921800 1477700460_thumb.jpg

post-82200-019102900 1477700600_thumb.jpg

It's odd really. Fender Musical Instruments Corp. has a very active interest in their history, including a museum and lots of stuff from the era of lap steels and early Woody amps. Gibson has a much longer, and more varied history of instrument making, having made several important contributions in the areas of stringed instrument design and development, well before the year 1959. Were mandolin orchestras rockin' the Fillmore in the 20's, I dunno... [unsure]

Speaking of 1959...

Below is a pic of an original Naz-Dar made "Les Paul Model" silk screen from the late '50's, that was used in the headstock printing on those early models. The screen came from Mike Korpak years ago. I visited Heritage guitars in Kalamazoo a long while back, and I was surprised to see that Marv Lamb recognized the silk screen & frame. He went on to describe how the screen frames were placed into a hinged metal arm that would swing down into position over the headstock, then the screen paint was applied (squeegeed) through the screen, and onto the headstock. He mentioned that there was a lady responsible for doing a lot of these back then. If I'm not mistaken, here name was Grace, per Marv's recollection...

post-82200-021272500 1477706922_thumb.jpg

Great photos & great story! You might want to try contacting Walter Carter. He wrote the book "Gibson Guitars 100 Years an American Icon" He sort of picked up the torch from Julius Bellson when he worked at Gibson. He now owns a great music store in Nashville..... https://cartervintage.com/ I'm sure he still has contacts & who knows, maybe another book in the works.............

Archived