Gibson Brands Forums

Favourite Epiphone acoustic

olie

Don't know that I've seen it done on this forum but thought it'd be interesting to see how different Epiphones rank with the membership.Could the Forum keep a running tally?Just an October idea from the soon-to-be-frozen north. I've only played a few models but I'll vote for the Masterbilt DR-500MCE. Let's have some fun!

This'll be an interesting one since there are so many Epiphone acoustic models now out of production.

I'll give my vote to both the rather obscure Epiphone SQ-180 Neil Diamond from the 2000s and the legendary long-scale Hummbingbird predecessor FT-90 El Dorado from the 1960s.

fWnG1pn.pngflQuFVf.png

I have shouted from the roof tops about the AJ45me Masterbilt since it was first announced, so it would have to be that. I would give a shout to the AJ220s (fine guitars) and the Texan. Incidentally, both these are the cheapest by far on the net at the moment at Thomann.

Hi Irish..

Hello Mick.

Wow, tough question (especially as I've only really played three models). I think I would probably go along with the DR500-MCE just because it's the most versatile and the one I happened to be playing today, although I do understand that a lot of people don't like cutaways.

I do have a soft spot for the AJ-220S and happily recommend it to anyone who asks about budget/starter guitars.

None of which is meant to denigrate the AJ45-ME in any way as it is a great guitar in its own right, so good in fact, I think I'll go and play it now.

I tried a few guitars in a main store a couple of months back and found I preferred the epiphone dr500 Mce to the more expensive Gibson songwriter cutaway model as the action felt too high and was clunky to play plus it didn't sound any better only marginal.

I covet a 1960's vintage Epiphone Texan

That would be my first choice as well.

But right behind it would be the following:

> McCartney '64 Texan Elitist, 1,964 made by Terada in Japan. I happen to be fortunate enough to own one, and it is a very faithful reproduction of a '60s Texan, right down to the nitro finish & adjustable bridge. Limited run for Adopt-A-Minefield fundraiser.

> McCartney '64 Texan made by Gibson in Bozeman. Limited run for Adopt-A-Minefield fundraiser.

> Elitist Texan, made by Terada in Japan.

All of the above had rather short production runs in the last decade. A new Elitist Texan was released more recently, but to my knowledge was only available for purchase in Japan.

I'll give my vote to both the rather obscure Epiphone SQ-180 Neil Diamond from the 2000s and the legendary long-scale Hummbingbird predecessor FT-90 El Dorado from the 1960s.

Wow, those are impressive. I've got to go with my 2008 EF-500 RAVS, which never ceases to amaze me how good it sounds.

mbt373.jpg

Would love to own a Texan with an original Epi neck as opposed to the narrow fretboard style that Gibson used after the originals ran out.

Hi Cowboy and other interested readers:

If any of you would be lucky enough to find any one of the 23 94 Bozeman made Excllente reissues, they leave the rest of the Epiphones in the dust.

Moose

• 2 weeks later...
Don't know that I've seen it done on this forum but thought it'd be interesting to see how different Epiphones rank with the membership.

I am fortunate to have one of the Masterbilt AJ500RC's. This guitar puts my expensive, custom made Breedlove and all my other steel-string guitars to shame, it's not only the best (IMHO, of course) tonewood combination (cedar soundboard/rosewood sides and back) and is of all solid wood construction, but the width of the fretboard and the scale are absolutely perfect for me. The sound is very well defined and it plays much louder than would be expected; the only problem it has (and all cedar topped guitars have this problem) is that when driven hard the sound tends to get a bit "muddy"...thank goodness it is such a cannon, it doesn't need to have the dogshirt played out of it just to get volume.

It's an out-of-production model, so I don't expect it to win any popularity contests, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone who owned one have anything but praise for this model. If you find one at a reasonable price (my "new" price from Sweetwater was under $600) by all means take the chance and get it...if you don't like it and it's intact, I'll certainly buy it from you...they are THAT good!

If I can manage to bring Photobucket to it's knees, perhaps I can post some photos of this oldie-but-goodie!

Cheers!

Dugly B)

I am fortunate to have one of the Masterbilt AJ500RC's. This guitar puts my expensive, custom made Breedlove and all my other steel-string guitars to shame, it's not only the best (IMHO, of course) tonewood combination (cedar soundboard/rosewood sides and back) and is of all solid wood construction, but the width of the fretboard and the scale are absolutely perfect for me. The sound is very well defined and it plays much louder than would be expected; the only problem it has (and all cedar topped guitars have this problem) is that when driven hard the sound tends to get a bit "muddy"...thank goodness it is such a cannon, it doesn't need to have the dogshirt played out of it just to get volume.

It's an out-of-production model, so I don't expect it to win any popularity contests, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone who owned one have anything but praise for this model. If you find one at a reasonable price (my "new" price from Sweetwater was under $600) by all means take the chance and get it...if you don't like it and it's intact, I'll certainly buy it from you...they are THAT good!

If I can manage to bring Photobucket to it's knees, perhaps I can post some photos of this oldie-but-goodie!

Cheers!

Dugly B)

Hey Dug-there's one on Reverb for $599 +$88 for shipping.(In case you need a backup)!

Further to our posts-I think the top is spruce, not cedar. The C in RC is "cut-away" isn't it? That should make it a bit more sturdy.

I know nothing about the guitar (except I'd like to try one) but it is definitely cedar http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/AJ-Series#Masterbilt_AJ-500RC and has no cutaway. My guess would be that RC= Rosewood/Cedar. Generally speaking CE (cutaway electric) denotes a cutaway.

...I don't think I've ever seen anyone who owned one have anything but praise for this model.

I owned one. It was indeed praiseworthy. Out of the Grand Rewards factory. Remarkable tone and volume. It's a 12-fret slot-head with, yes, solid cedar over rosewood. I think it's the 12-fret-ness (bridge positioning) that gives it that sound. Indeed a great guitar, but I guess I just didn't bond with it. Sold it on reverb - here's the completed listing(with photos)

• 2 weeks later...

Have to mention one other favorite:

The Kalamazoo-made FT-45 Cortez, which is a clone to the Gibson B-25 (and earlier LG-2).

Some of these can sound incredibly sweet!

My first and favourite guitar of all time. I'm now the proud owner of 3 early '60s Kalamazoo FT Cortez.

I always get compliments on their beautiful sweet mellow tone. And I think they're beautiful.

For those who haven't seen this pic, here's my little collection:

3FT45s.jpg

Archived