Gibson Brands Forums

Speaking of Les Paul Classic Customs...

charlie brown

Well folks, I finally did it! Been threatening to, for awhile. And, I have to say "I" LOVE the results. (I understand, that not all may agree, and that's OK! [biggrin] )

I changed out all the stock "black" plastic, on my Gold Top Classic Custom, to "Cream!" Used "Historic" pickup surrounds, the standard Gibson Switch washer,

and a after market WD 3-ply (they don't make a 5-ply "Cream" one, as of yet) pick-guard. And, changed the stock black "Speed knobs"

for insert top hats, in gold w/silver insert (that actually look gold, at certain angles). [tongue][biggrin]

9cbb0c00-a7bc-4299-b916-cc75b2b351a4_zpsryloc4f5.jpg

d45095ff-1071-4c61-82f1-e3ae0e1cc8f7_zpszrk8zae4.jpg

(3-ply WD pick-guard)

25119bf7-fc18-4930-a22d-b7e73eb91eb7_zpsdd4zg5i7.jpg

I don't think it's going to be nearly the "Case Queen" it has been. [biggrin][thumbup]

CB

Well, looks like you also added fingertip slicers and flipped neck pickup and bridge! [scared][biggrin]

If I remember right, you put on the TP-6 long before. To be honest, this would have been my only mod, but this is just me... [rolleyes]

Well, looks like you also added fingertip slicers and flipped neck pickup and bridge! [scared][biggrin]

If I remember right, you put on the TP-6 long before. To be honest, this would have been my only mod, but this is just me... [rolleyes]

You're correct. I can't get anything by you, Cap! [biggrin] I'm "trying that out," to see if I like the slight tonal difference.

(The neck pickup "seems" brighter, in that position, but I may be mistaken?) At any rate, they are both easy "fixes"

back to original positions. [biggrin] By the way, the bridge was changed back to original position...after the photos were

taken, a week or so ago. (That turn around, was a mistake, and quickly remedied.) I'll wait, awhile, to see if I like the

(intentional) neck pickup reverse, or not?

As to "why" the cream plastic. I guess I'm "old school," where ALL "Gold Tops" originally had Cream plastics. So, to me,

it seems more "natural" and therefore more appealing. But, again, that's just ME! [tongue][biggrin]

CB

As to "why" the cream plastic. I guess I'm "old school," where ALL "Gold Tops" originally had Cream plastics. So, to me,

it seems more "natural" and therefore more appealing. But, again, that's just ME! [tongue][biggrin]

CB

You obviously like "Classic" over "Custom" [biggrin]

You obviously like "Classic" over "Custom" [biggrin]

Ummmm, I like/love LP Customs! [thumbup][biggrin] But, on Gold Tops (Custom or otherwise), and even my (1980) Cherry Sunburst LP Custom,

I prefer the Cream colored plastic(s). But, that's strictly a "personal" choice.

So yes, I guess I DO prefer the more traditional or "Classic" look! [biggrin]

CB

Just did a little (short) comparison, between my LP "Classic" with the neck pickup in the "correct" / stock position,

and my Classic Custom, with the neck pickup reversed (but, otherwise, not modded in any way). My initial suspicion

proved correct, with the reversed neck pickup slightly "brighter!" With the emphasis on slightly...but, noticeably.

They both have '57-57 Plus pickups, as I changed out the "Hotter" stock "Classic" Ceramic pickups, for '57's some

years ago, and the Classic Custom came with stock '57-57 Plus, anyway. The Classic has rosewood board, and the

Custom a "Baked Maple" board, so that might(?) account for some of the difference? Not sure... :-k When I had

done a previous test, right after I got the Classic Custom, there was no real noticeable difference (to me) between

the two, tone wise. So...??? :P

Any thoughts, or similar experiences, to share?

Oh, Cap...by the way, my "1960" Classic came stock, from the factory, with the bridge turned 'round, so the srews

are facing the neck, not the tailpiece. So, even my "mistake" wasn't really a mistake, apparently. Though, I'm

sure the intonation would have needed adjusting, and possibly some of the string saddles reversed, to accomplish

that. So, it was just easier to turn it back 'round, on the Gold Top. [tongue][biggrin]

CB

LOL [biggrin] Well, I knew it would not be everyone's "cup of tea," but I really like it! Seems (more) "right," now, and almost like I have

a new guitar! [thumbup] Not sure (yet) about the reversed neck pickup. Still deciding, on that. :-k

CB

I have had the neck reversed for a while on one of them, it was ok. I think I traded it off that way, and I haven't had any others reversed, so I guess I wasn't too nuts about it.

Never a switch ring or pickguard for me, and usually speed knobs. I have the stock hats on my SG, I think I have some speed knobs for it. I don't know why the TP-6 exists, so I've never had one.

rct

The Classic has rosewood board, and the

Custom a "Baked Maple" board, so that might(?) account for some of the difference? Not sure... :-k When I had

done a previous test, right after I got the Classic Custom, there was no real noticeable difference (to me) between

CB

I cant hear any difference between torrefied maple and rosewood. I played a bunch of rosewood ES-339 for 45/50 minutes before changing to a torrefied maple one, which also had a maple neck. I couldn't have told the difference if my life depended on it.

PS love what you did to the goldtop. I'm not over fussy about aesthetics but that just looks right!

I cant hear any difference between torrefied maple and rosewood. I played a bunch of rosewood ES-339 for 45/50 minutes before changing to a torrefied maple one, which also had a maple neck. I couldn't have told the difference if my life depended on it.

PS love what you did to the goldtop. I'm not over fussy about aesthetics but that just looks right!

Thanks, M.E. [biggrin] As to the "tonal differences" between baked maple and rosewood. I was only going by my own past experience,

with a couple of my SG's. They are both based on '61 reissues...one is "satin finished" and has the baked maple fingerboard, the other

is my SG "Original," that has a very dark rosewood board. The "Satin" version, with Baked Maple, is noticeably "brighter" than the SG

"Original." Nothing that can't be managed, with some tone knob adjustments, or amp adjustments, so it's not really any kind of "problem,"

as much as it's just interesting. They both have '57 pickups, as well, as do all my SG's. In fact, all my other SG's have rosewood boards,

and sound basically the same, as the "Original." The Satin finished '61 is the brightest sounding, of all of them. So...??? :-k[biggrin]

CB

Guest Farnsbarns

Just did a little (short) comparison, between my LP "Classic" with the neck pickup in the "correct" / stock position,

and my Classic Custom, with the neck pickup reversed (but, otherwise, not modded in any way). My initial suspicion

proved correct, with the reversed neck pickup slightly "brighter!" With the emphasis on slightly...but, noticeably.

They both have '57-57 Plus pickups, as I changed out the "Hotter" stock "Classic" Ceramic pickups, for '57's some

years ago, and the Classic Custom came with stock '57-57 Plus, anyway. The Classic has rosewood board, and the

Oh, Cap...by the way, my "1960" Classic came stock, from the factory, with the bridge turned 'round, so the srews

are facing the neck, not the tailpiece. So, even my "mistake" wasn't really a mistake, apparently. Though, I'm

sure the intonation would have needed adjusting, and possibly some of the string saddles reversed, to accomplish

that. So, it was just easier to turn it back 'round, on the Gold Top. [tongue][biggrin]

CB

ABR1 vs Nashville bridge. You would also need to switch the sadles around because they are cut for the different string gauges and you would have the 1st string in a slot cut for the 6th and so on.

I much prefer the cream BTW!

I've never noticed any sort of difficulty changing strings or slow tuning with the usual bridge(s).

rct

I replaced eight tailpieces with TP-6. The bridges are still the same, two "Harmonica", five Nashville standard and one Fishman Nashville piezo Tune-O-Matics.

I think hooking the ball end to the tuning lever is easier than pulling the entire string through the tailpiece. Tuning takes a fraction of time only compared to using machine heads or machine heads solely. Tuning the two T-O-M & stopbar Gibsons of mine where the TP-6 doesn't apply takes much more patience, let alone the two with Maestro vibrola.

Tuning a Gibson with TP-6 is a breeze and doesn't call for a battery. [thumbup]

I too, have TP-6 tailpieces on several of my Gibson's. I just like the "look," and the convenience too, of them. ...

CB

Well, before I started playing guitar and just caring for vocal amplification then, I saw the first three TP-6 in person at a dealer, other than my chrome ones all gold-plated. They were stock on a Les Paul 25/50, a B. B. King "Lucille" and a limited Explorer. I admit that the look deeply impressed me and also reminded me of the fine tuners on the violin I had played some years before [biggrin]

It took me 35 yeas until I bought my first TP-6, but then I bought them one right after the other... [rolleyes]

Well, before I started playing guitar and just caring for vocal amplification then, I saw the first three TP-6 in person at a dealer, other than my chrome ones all gold-plated. They were stock on a Les Paul 25/50, a B. B. King "Lucille" and a limited Explorer. I admit that the look deeply impressed me and also reminded me of the fine tuners on the violin I had played some years before [biggrin]

It took me 35 yeas until I bought my first TP-6, but then I bought them one right after the other... [rolleyes]

Great devices. I have one (of course)as standard on my 25 / 50 (albeit it is not the original) and I fitted one (s/h gold and nicely aged) to my ES345 '59 reissue.

Well, I decided last night, to turn the neck pickup back 'round, the "correct" way. So, it's back to "Stock" now, except for the cream plastics,

and new reflector knobs. The experiment, with the pickup position really didn't convince me, one way or the other, so...back to "stock" it went.

[biggrin]

CB

• 3 weeks later...

Archived