Gibson Brands Forums

Historic 57 Goldtop - 2009 specs

Del

Hi

Haven't been here for a while but just bought a Historic 57 Goldtop RI and am trying to find out a bit more about the specs as it seems from the serial number ( 7 9***) that this instrument came out the factory in 2009 and isn't one of the more recent models. The description of the guitar on the internet page seemed to suggest that the specs were in line with current models but I'm thinking this might not necessarily be the case.

I didn't really think about the serial number when I was trying out the guitar in the shop as I was more concerned with how it played and sounded - both of which it does very well!!

Due to the nature of the market for expensive instruments in NZ, anything with a big price tag tends to sit in the shops for ages - sometimes several years - with the result that the retailers eventually offer a heavy discount to get rid of the gear and recover their costs.

This guitar appeared in their internet clearance sale a few months ago with 33% discount from the original retail price. After thinking about whether I should even look at it, I bit the bullet and got them to send it down to the local store for me to try out. They were upfront about the fact that it had a couple of small dings on the top but that's no big issue for me as I intend to use the guitar so it'll get more marked up with use anyway - and if I can get a good discount to reflect something that actually doesn't bother me, what's not to like?

As I say, I love the guitar - how it looks, sounds and plays but I would like to find out more about the specs of guitars made in 2009 and no amount of googling comes up with anything concrete.

If anyone can point me to where I can check this out I'd appreciate it - more to satisfy my curiosity than anything else!

Is no-one able to help out here?

I eventually found a table (I think on the Les Paul forum) listing specs for all historic reissues and the year when changes were made but it stopped at 2008!!

I'm running out of options for finding info on my guitar......... :)

Took my new baby to its first gig last night and WOW! what an instrument!!!

It was the first time I'd have the chance to play it at higher volumes and it didn't disappoint. I took my small Ampeg GVT15 amp and cab and various pedals to cover the various tones I need.

Everything from wonderful warm clean tones to fairly full on overdrive can be coaxed from this guitar - and sustain for ages!!

As I've discovered today, thanks to the email from Gibson customer service, the guitar has Burstbucker pickups and they are great. Yes, there is feedback to be had from them but it's a very controllable and musical feedback that only adds to the guitar's glorious sounds.

I'm a very happy man...!

• 2 weeks later...

Congratz on your R7. I also have a 57 Reissue that was made in 2009. Wonderful guitar.

Sorry you didn't get any sooner responses. I can't speak for everyone else on the Forums, but I stick mainly in The Lounge and just wound up here kinda by mistake. Figured I'd check some other threads while here :rolleyes:

Archived