Gibson Brands Forums

NBND

surfpup

That's right... New Bone Nut Day!

Was putting a bone nut on a Strat for a customer, and I found I had a couple for Gibsons in the drawer that I had forgotten about. Just put one on my SG Classic and d@mn what a difference. Noticeable increase in acoustic volume and sustain. I guess I will have to replace them all now. :rolleyes:

Pics for those interested in such things...

Score it...

IMG_7475.jpg

Tap it...

IMG_7482.jpg

Pull it...

IMG_7484.jpg

That's right... New Bone Nut Day!

Was putting a bone nut on a Strat for a customer, and I found I had a couple for Gibsons in the drawer that I had forgotten about. Just put one on my SG Classic and d@mn what a difference. Noticeable increase in acoustic volume and sustain.

Wow, quite a difference!

I still have the lamb shoulder bone from the stew. I can mill it into a nut shape. Not sure how to cut the slots though?

Yes, a properly done bone nut makes a big difference.

Let me just point out to one thing. Removing the nut by tapping it out can make a big damage to recently made Gibsons. They are epoxied in! I had to saw them in half on mine, before collapsing them with pliers.

HPIM5977_zpshzswedfu.jpg

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/129776-crafting-a-new-nut/

Bence.

Nice! Both of my Les Paul guitars have been fitted with a GraphTec nut and they made a big difference over the factory plastic.

Crafting a nut is something I have yet to attempt, but I am feeling that I will try a bone nut for my EJ-200 msp_biggrin.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I still had another bone nut lying about, so I did the Les Paul today. Took about an hour due to sanding down to fit as with the first one. Still have one SG to go and all my Gibbies will be bone... Pics for those interested in such.

Prepped for surgery

IMG_7600.jpg

Cheap original nut...

IMG_7601.jpg

Tapping it out after scoring (heh... heh...)

IMG_7610.jpg

IMG_7611.jpg

The slot

IMG_7613.jpg

Set, glued, slots filed and done...

IMG_7618.jpg

The crappy old nut...

IMG_7615.jpg

Archived