Gibson Brands Forums

Here's a recording of my new Epiphone Olympic

QuestionMark

For those of you who wanted to hear my new Epiphone Olympic, here's a recording of I just put on YouTube of me playing a jazzy version of "Tequila" on my new Epiphone Olympic. I'm playing live and unplugged on the recording with no overdubs. It was recorded on my Canon camera's sound recorder. Photos are from my iPhone. My review of the guitar appears under the heading "Bought a Century Olympic" on this forum. Hope you enjoy! All comments welcome!

QM aka "Jazzman" Jeff

Sounds great! Although that probably has as much to do with the player as the guitar. Big thumbs up from me [thumbup]

Something weird going on with the pictures though. In the indoor photos it looks massive and in the outdoor ones it seems more like a normal size, or is that just me?

I think it's just that the indoor photos were taken as close-ups of the guitar and me, so the guitar appears bigger than in the outdoor photos. And, so there is less in the photos to compare the guitar to. Interesting optical thing how that can happen in a photo. Thanks for listening and watching! Glad you enjoyed the music, the guitar, and my playing.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

The neck upon first feel seems thicker than most guitars, but upon playing it, it qickly becomes very comfortable. It seems to me the neck when I first got it was non-glossed. However, now after playing it for about 3 weeks I notice the neck seems glossy as though my playing on it shined up the neck to a gloss. Go figure. But, FYI, when I first took the guitar home I sprayed some light polish on it to clean up the guitar from the store. It's possible my playing it in combination with the polish shinedthe neck up.

Thanks for listening to and liking the music.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

That performance was absolutely great msp_thumbup.gif The guitar sounds very "bright", not "mellow"...hard to explain. I wonder what "half flat" phosphor bronze wound strings or flat. "ribbon wound" strings might sound like on it.. I see it comes with ".012"strings.. Still sounded very"bright",even with the heavier strings. Cool looking instrument msp_smile.gif

Hi Crust-thanks for listening. I wonder if the brightness you are hearing has to do with my habit of resting my right hand on the bridge so I can occasionally dampen some strings. By picking notes and strumming as close as I do to the bridge, it certainly produces a much brighter sound than if my style was to play close to the fretboard or even halfway in between the bridge and the fretboard. I say this because, to me the Olympic doesn't sound any more or less brighter than my other acoustic (or acoustic-electric) archtop guitars.

I think it's likely my playing style of being close to the bridge. Plus, the recording is of the guitar unplugged without benefit of an amp and its adjustments.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Archived