Gibson Brands Forums

Please identify my guitar

mojoworking

I picked up this guitar today. There is no orange label in the sound-hole and the store weren't quite sure what it was. At first they told me it was a LG-2. It looks more like a B-25-N to me and after a little discussion the store (reluctantly) agreed.

The serial number dates the guitar as 1969 and the pickguard has clearly been changed from full-length to a teardrop one at some point (it's possible to see the indentation of the old pickguard in the varnish). I'm not entirely sure the new pickguard is a genuine Gibson item either.

The belly down bridge is unusual, but not unknown (a google search will produce examples with a small guard and belly down bridge).

Any ideas?

TNI5J2d.jpg

yvQgmkj.jpg

Luu56j1.jpg

gGcKoJV.jpg

Looks like a B-25N to me based on date you provided. It wouldn't have been a LG-2, LG-2s were sunburst and discontinued in the early 60s, replaced by the similar B25. If anything else it would be a LG-3 which was the natural version of the sunburst LG-2. But, those, too were replaced by B25s (the B25-N)in the 60s. Hope this helps.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Looks like a B-25N to me based on date you provided. It wouldn't have been a LG-2, LG-2s were sunburst and discontinued in the early 60s, replaced by the similar B25. If anything else it would be a LG-3 which was the natural version of the sunburst LG-2. But, those, too were replaced by B25s (the B25-N)in the 60s. Hope this helps.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Thanks QM. So the LG models had been discontinued by 1969?

Archived