Gibson Brands Forums

Bummed....first problem with my new SG

norcalpiper

So I own several SG's. All of them are tribute, SGJ, or special. This year was my first "standard" (I posted about it a few posts down) Its Pelham blue and I modded it to my likings and its been a real gem.

Last Sunday while I was jamming with the boys, my guitar started crackling. I investigated and realized the bolt and washer for the jack input had come loose. I used my fingers and got it back on , but it wouldn't stay.

When I went home , i took off the cavity cover and pushed the input firm against and through the hole and again put the washer on and gently screwed ig tight using a 1/2 fitting. It snugs up, but the minute i put a plug into the jack, the washer and fastener bolt come off. WTF? I'm going to take it in, but Im bery pissed after spending 1300$ That something like this us faulty. All my lower end sg's NEVER have these problems and are rock solid....

So I own several SG's. All of them are tribute, SGJ, or special. This year was my first "standard" (I posted about it a few posts down) Its Pelham blue and I modded it to my likings and its been a real gem.

Last Sunday while I was jamming with the boys, my guitar started crackling. I investigated and realized the bolt and washer for the jack input had come loose. I used my fingers and got it back on , but it wouldn't stay.

When I went home , i took off the cavity cover and pushed the input firm against and through the hole and again put the washer on and gently screwed ig tight using a 1/2 fitting. It snugs up, but the minute i put a plug into the jack, the washer and fastener bolt come off. WTF? I'm going to take it in, but Im bery pissed after spending 1300$ That something like this us faulty. All my lower end sg's NEVER have these problems and are rock solid....

That is something that can slip easily trough QC without being detectet, could even happen with a 5000$ guitar.

One drop of superglue, tighten it and problem solved.msp_thumbup.gif

I have had that issue before on several 335's. Superglue will work but it sounds so permanent to me. Instead I used clear finger nail polish, and it has never come loose again. Either way will fix the problem though. I think that happens more than you think. A good friend told me to do that fix when I first got the guitar as he had the same problem, and if you drop the jack down a 335 it is even harder to fish it out.

BTW I am in the market for a new SG Standard T. I hope there are some good promos close to black Friday..........

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I'd probably go with what rct said and throw a small star lock washer in there. any hardware/ fastner/ home depot should carry them. Locktite can be pretty permanent, and sloppy if you aren't careful, Teflon always looks sloppy (imo), so I would go with the lock washer. Would probably be minimally visible after the fact too.

Archived