Gibson Brands Forums

LR Baggs Anthem and low output..

kidblast

I've been meaning to mention this to the SJ200 crew here... The LR Baggs Anthem pickup that the SJ200s are shipped with, all seem to have the inherit problem with low output. Anyone else notice this? Seems that's the common complaint on this pickup. The only thing that you can alter settings wise is the Mic/Element balance (the small set screw that you can adjust how much the mic or the saddle is prominent) but I don't think that will address this(?)

What I've been left as one solution is to put an EQ as a clean boost b4 the amp. This seems to work ok and give me the volume lift I need to make it on par ooutput wise with my other acoustics. [which use the fishman's infinity matrix pickup]

For me, it's a minor annoyance at worse case, just wondering if any one else with the Anthem in their SJ200 have any other hints..

thx

/Ray

Ray, my J100 has the Anthem and it sounds fine. Don't detect a lack of volume (there is a volume control), although it is a softer sound. You should have a screw to turn, that you mentioned, and two dials: one for the volume, one for controlling how much mic/pickup you want..... The only comparison I have to my other Gibsons that get plugged-in is that the settings are all pretty much the same. I do think there's more of a warmth in the tone of the Anthem and Lyric than the Baggs Element models in my other Gibsons. The Anthem and Lyric are noticeably more mellow to my ears. That might be what you're hearing also..... My Hummingbird has a Martin Gold Thin Line Gold in it and it is a really hot pickup when compared to the Anthem and Lyric. It's the one guitar I have to turn down.

Ray, my J100 has the Anthem and it sounds fine. Don't detect a lack of volume (there is a volume control), although it is a softer sound. You should have a screw to turn, that you mentioned, and two dials: one for the volume, one for controlling how much mic/pickup you want..... The only comparison I have to my other Gibsons that get plugged-in is that the settings are all pretty much the same. I do think there's more of a warmth in the tone of the Anthem and Lyric than the Baggs Element models in my other Gibsons. The Anthem and Lyric are noticeably more mellow to my ears. That might be what you're hearing also..... My Hummingbird has a Martin Gold Thin Line Gold in it and it is a really hot pickup when compared to the Anthem and Lyric. It's the one guitar I have to turn down.

Hi Larry

Yep sounds fine for sure, It's a great sounding pickup IMHO, and sure, I am all set with how the controls work, but that said, I have not adjusted that recessed screw that's there to adjust the balance or how much of the pickup or the element is used. (I just don't think that effects the output of the pickup)

Further if you check on the threads in the AGF, and elsewhere seems it's a common complaint with this pickup. (mind you, I'm not complaining because I have a remedy that works ok with an EQ and I like how the PUP in general sounds.)

Where I use the J200 "plugged in" as much as I use it unplugged, when I compare it to my Fishman's, which I also use a lot they easily seem to have 2x the output. (Unplug J200, touch nothing, plug in my Taylor. No doubt about it, the Taylor/Fishman has WAY more output)

Just wonderin if any other Anthem owners have noticed this.. I don't think it's a problem with this pickup, rather this is just "The way it is".

Considering a quick Email to the folks at LR Baggs to see what they think. I'll post the results here.

Appreciate the feedback!

Archived