• You cannot reply to this topic

Excess glue inside guitar need help

#21 User is offline   OldCowboy 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • LocationIndiana - Texas - sometimes Lost

Posted 18 November 2016 - 07:36 PM

View Postthe other side, on 18 November 2016 - 06:55 PM, said:

I would be very happy to see the glue!!! As far as the finish, I would love it, as I would be the only one to notice. That being said, if your guitar ever comes up stolen or whatever the case may dictate, "That is MY guitar" ! By the way, I will counter offer Old Cowboy's:
$79.99. I'll pay shipping. Final offer.
Play that guitar man !

$80.01👹?

#22 User is offline   OldCowboy 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 November 2016 - 07:38 PM

View Postthe other side, on 18 November 2016 - 06:55 PM, said:

I would be very happy to see the glue!!! As far as the finish, I would love it, as I would be the only one to notice. That being said, if your guitar ever comes up stolen or whatever the case may dictate, "That is MY guitar" ! By the way, I will counter offer Old Cowboy's:
$79.99. I'll pay shipping. Final offer.
Play that guitar man !

$80.01👹?

#23 User is offline   the other side 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 November 2016 - 08:18 PM

View PostOldCowboy, on 18 November 2016 - 07:36 PM, said:

$80.01👹?

Hmmm! I'll have to sleep on that one.

#24 User is offline   j45nick 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 18 November 2016 - 08:23 PM

So after all this discussion, I poked under the hood of some of my guitars. The cleanest is my Martin 000-28 EC, followed fairly closely by my Fuller's 1943 SJ. Both of these are mostly aliphatic resin glued. TiteBond is pretty easy to clean up if you get it before it fully cures.

The worst? Surprise, surprise. My 1948 J-45, followed by my L-OO Legend. Both are all hide glue guitars. Anyone who has worked with hide glue knows you have a pretty narrow window when using it, and getting every last glue bubble or spill is not at the top of the list in a lot of cases. But is sure transfers sound nicely.

Does it bother me? Not in the least. Given the fact that the L-OO has cloth side reinforcing strips and the old J-45 has the same feature in wood, there's plenty of opportunity for a little extra glue residue. The old J-45 is, shall we say, definitely "glued enough". Maybe that's part of the reason it's still in one piece after more than 60 years.

These are hand-built instruments, after all.

#25 User is offline   rct 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouthern New Jersey

Posted 18 November 2016 - 08:32 PM

Guitars are perfect amalgamations of small imperfections, and not just Leo's, all of them. Even Martin. Don't worry about it.

rct

#26 User is offline   OldCowboy 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 November 2016 - 09:31 PM

Someone once pointed out to me that luthiery is based on 'the creative destruction of wood'. In a kind of obscure way - not unlike my conviction that all acoustic guitars are inherently female and, further, that they are all alive, it seems to fit here quite well. Then again, maybe I'm referencing empty brain cells😛

#27 User is offline   nutkunkup 

Posted 18 November 2016 - 09:49 PM

View PostGDC, on 18 November 2016 - 02:39 PM, said:

Well, honestly, I think Gibson would do well to avoid this sloppiness - they slip a few too many through with minor issues. But it's part of what Gibson is, I suppose. Take it in stride and enjoy your guitar.

View Postsbpark, on 18 November 2016 - 03:01 PM, said:

Tend to agree that just a touch more TLC would result in these kinds of things happening less and would make customers much happier, but really wouldn't bother me if the guitar sounded good, but like I stated previously can understand why someone else would be turned off by it. Although it doesn't happen as often with Martins, my HD28 has some imperfections that would drive others insane, but the guitar sounds GLORIOUS, so I overlook the imperfections. Also, my 2017 J45 was covered in a fine dust that was all over the guitar and in the case, most likely from sanding and polishing. All they had to do was wipe the guitar down better before sending it off. Some might look at something like that as a turn off, rationalizing that if they can't do something as simple as cleaning up a guitar before sending it out, how can me trust them to perform more complicated tasks consistently, right?

This is what I want to imply in this post.

Actually, the QC things of factory is very important to customer's happiness. As a Gibson is very famous guitar factory and of course very high price guitar come out from this factory too ( This guitar is cost around US$3200) and yes I expect more neat and clean at this high cost. Gibson should fix this problem before assembly parts together because after glued bracing on back they still have time to remove this. How can they don't know that glue is leak when press it ? or it's just sloppiness like GDC said ?

Imagine that if you buy a car, let's say Ferrari or Lamborghini, when you step in your car for the first time and notice that steering wheel have a mark on it. What you gonna do ? return or accept it ? or ask seller do something with it ?

#28 User is offline   the other side 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 November 2016 - 09:52 PM

View PostOldCowboy, on 18 November 2016 - 09:31 PM, said:

Someone once pointed out to me that luthiery is based on 'the creative destruction of wood'. In a kind of obscure way - not unlike my conviction that all acoustic guitars are inherently female and, further, that they are all alive, it seems to fit here quite well. Then again, maybe I'm referencing empty brain cells😛

Any of them empty brain cells for sale! I'll take a few so I can lose my mind. Or should I wait until Friday nxt week for a discount. I'm first in line !

#29 User is offline   fortyearspickn 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:25 PM

A Lamborghini costs 100x more than a Gibson acoustic, so that comparison is hard to accept. And, as you said, "if the first time you stepped inside..." If paying $300k for an auto, I should think you would want to inspect it Before you bought it. As far as the Gibson, knowing you have high expectations and there was no possibility of a return for a refund, you should have inspected it closely Before you bought it. You also could have come here for input befor buying and members like GDC and Olie would have warned you of the inconsistencies in Gibsons. But that is water over the dam. Since you're asking people here for advice, it would probably make sense to find a luthier that could correct the problems you've found..

SJ200 2004
H'Bird TV 2010
J45 Custom Koa 2013

#30 User is offline   nutkunkup 

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:27 PM

View Postfortyearspickn, on 18 November 2016 - 10:25 PM, said:

A Lamborghini costs 100x more than a Gibson acoustic, so that comparison is hard to accept. And, as you said, "if the first time you stepped inside..." If paying $300k for an auto, I should think you would want to inspect it Before you bought it. As far as the Gibson, knowing you have high expectations and there was no possibility of a return for a refund, you should have inspected it closely Before you bought it. You also could have come here for input befor buying and members like GDC and Olie would have warned you of the inconsistencies in Gibsons. But that is water over the dam. Since you're asking people here for advice, it would probably make sense to find a luthier that could correct the problems you've found..

Hey I just try to compare like no brand with Gibson just like toyota and Lamborghini.

#31 User is online   slimt 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCalgary Alberta

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:41 PM

Nice koa. But did you buy it? Why pick it apart now? Its not like your buying a custom hand made guitar.

#32 User is offline   OldCowboy 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:42 PM

You own a very nice guitar, and if I may presume to speak for many here at the forum, we are happy for you and are glad you and your new Gibson are now among the rest of us. I'm sorry if you're not 100% happy with your purchase, but the best we can offer here is a sense of belonging, reassurance if you need it, access to whatever knowledge/information/
experience that we collectively hold, and whatever advice individual members are able to provide. You seem to be saying that, when you buy something, you expect it to conform to your personal standard of perfection. There's nothing wrong with that, but it goes to say that you therefore won't make a purchase that doesn't meet your standards. I have no idea what to tell you beyond what has already been said. All I can think to ask (and it's a question that has already been posed here) is why did you buy it in the first place knowing what your standards are and realizing there was no possibility of return?

#33 User is offline   sbpark 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 November 2016 - 01:35 AM

View Postnutkunkup, on 18 November 2016 - 10:27 PM, said:

Hey I just try to compare like no brand with Gibson just like toyota and Lamborghini.

A better comparison would be comparing your Gibby to a similar guitar from a super high end, boutique guitar maker.

#34 User is online   Dave F 

• Plain Old Member
  • LocationKY

Posted 19 November 2016 - 06:53 AM

Perhaps Gibson can come up with another version of the J-45, clean from any excess glue. We can call it the OCD model [blink]

Just the Gibson's
'29 Uke1
'94 Centennial 1934 Jumbo RI
'94 1933 Century of Progress
'04 Chet Atkins CG
'04 Dwight Yoakam Honky Tonk Duece
'07 J200 CUSTOM KOA
'07 CJ165 RW
'10 J45 Legend
'10 Jackson Browne
'11 Kristofferson SJ
'12 J200 Custom RW
'13 ES 175
'13 J185 Wildwood Modern Vintage
'13 LG-2 Banner RI (All Hog)
'14 F5L Fern Mandolin
'14 Stage Deluxe LTD
'14 1932 L00 RI
'14 Les Paul Std
'14 L5 Premier
'15 Stage Deluxe RW
'16 Nick Lucas Mystic Rosewood

#35 User is offline   OldCowboy 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:09 AM

View PostDave F, on 19 November 2016 - 06:53 AM, said:

Perhaps Gibson can come up with another version of the J-45, clean from any excess glue. We can call it the OCD model [blink]

OMG! I can't stop laughing 😃😄😂😅

#36 User is offline   Buc McMaster 

• ....decisions, decisions....
  • LocationTexas!

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:48 AM

View Postnutkunkup, on 18 November 2016 - 10:06 AM, said:

......when I returned to home I looked into soundhole and found excess glue look like droplet. This is very much noticeable.

Wow dude. You didn't think to look in the sound hole before you laid down your money? I say that's your bad, not Gibsons'. You have high standards and you let this get by your QC. That's on you and after-the-fact it's too late to whine about your error. Get over it and play the damn guitar! <_<
Hummingbird Vintage/J-45 Vintage/Schertler David Deluxe
Knowin' where you're goin' is mostly knowin' where you have been. Buc, from Me & Eddie
I stumble on through the dust of disappointment....the winds of worry tuggin' at my clothes..... Buc, from Stones of Circumstance

#37 User is offline   OldCowboy 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:20 AM

View PostBuc McMaster, on 19 November 2016 - 07:48 AM, said:

Wow dude. You didn't think to look in the sound hole before you laid down your money? I say that's your bad, not Gibsons'. You have high standards and you let this get by your QC. That's on you and after-the-fact it's too late to whine about your error. Get over it and play the damn guitar! <_<

Can it be stated more clearly than that? Maybe we should get a contest going to see who can be the most blunt and brutal. Kudos, Buc👍👍👍 I hope I don't have to try topping that one😄

#38 User is offline   sbpark 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:25 AM

View PostOldCowboy, on 19 November 2016 - 08:20 AM, said:

Can it be stated more clearly than that? Maybe we should get a contest going to see who can be the most blunt and brutal. Kudos, Buc👍👍👍 I hope I don't have to try topping that one😄

True, it was a bit of a blunt reply, but I have no place talking, since I can be a bit blunt as well. But in Buc's defense, the OP's title was a bit dramatic with the "need help" part. Reminds me of posts when people throw nothing like, "urgent, need help ASAP!" in a title, and you find its a thread where they are asking which guitar they should buy. Basically they are saying something along the lines of, I can't decide which guitar I should buy, so I need al of you total strangers who don't know me at all to hold my hand and make my decision for me! People get a little over-dramatic sometimes.

#39 User is offline   OldCowboy 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:33 AM

View Postsbpark, on 19 November 2016 - 08:25 AM, said:

True, it was a bit of a blunt reply, but I have no place talking, since I can be a bit blunt as well. But in Buc's defense, the OP's title was a bit dramatic with the "need help" part. Reminds me of posts when people throw nothing like, "urgent, need help ASAP!" in a title, and you find its a thread where they are asking which guitar they should buy. Basically they are saying something along the lines of, I can't decide which guitar I should buy, so I need al of you total strangers who don't know me at all to hold my hand and make my decision for me! People get a little over-dramatic sometimes.

True. Please don't misunderstand: I didn't mean to come off sounding negative about Buc's post - quite the opposite. Short of suggesting things that'd likely be deleted by the authorities, I don't believe it could be said any better.

#40 User is offline   sbpark 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 November 2016 - 09:24 AM

View PostOldCowboy, on 19 November 2016 - 08:33 AM, said:

True. Please don't misunderstand: I didn't mean to come off sounding negative about Buc's post - quite the opposite. Short of suggesting things that'd likely be deleted by the authorities, I don't believe it could be said any better.

Oh, trust me I personally didn't think you were out of line. I actually appreciate the blunt and to the point replies. Others tend to get offended much more easily. Being blunt doesn't mean you're being rude.

Share this topic:

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users